Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Its just a feeling based in style. The same feeling that led us to believe Coates wasn't behind the Galactic Empire. Aaron had to point it out before Coates tweeted about it. And his response seemed unenthusiastic. Then he tweeted about 18 today saying he loved writing the opening scene with the MA. Which is what I'm use to seeing from him.

Scripts can be changed.
    Here's the thing... Coates went BIG on it.

Yes, Hickmans run alluded to Wakandan space exploration but that didn't necessarily mean we would have an entire galactic empire up and running a few years later. If Coates wasn't particularly in favor of taking the story in this direction he could have made this MUCH smaller. A space colony and a few stories here and there in space frankly would have been more believable. In Star Trek it took earth centirues to become the Federation we are familiar with. Coates is having T'CHalla pull that off in a small handful of years by creating a freaking empire.

For him to go this big I think implies that he has to be willing to really run with this idea, because it essentially is changing the course of the entire mythos from here. It's no longer a story about a hero ruling a small albeit advanced african nation... it's now a story about a character running a galactic empire. That's a huge shift in direction that will effect not only the rest of his run, but frankly every BP run afterwards (assuming this all sticks).

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggiyy View Post
    Read the solo issue yesterday.

It seems like Editorial has reigned Coates in because, surprisingly, there is ZERO T’Challa punking in the entire issue. The Midnight Angels listen to T’Challa’s orders with no back talk or insults. Storm isn’t present to upstage him, and T’Challa actually figures ****
    Out on HIS OWN without having to rely on Shuri. In fact he schools her.
    I wouldn't stay optimistic for long. Knowing Coates T'Challa's probably gonna get sonned in the next issue. But hey, he wrote T'Challa in character for the first time in 18 issues. It's progress, I guess....
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    He's probably just getting better as a comic writer, that said it's annoying watching someone learn the craft using your favorite character. Especially when he's about to become "ALLLLLLLLLLLLL the way live",
    I hope it's genuine improvement, because quite frankly I don't see Coates leaving the book anytime soon. There's little incentive for him to do so.

The book is going to get a boost via the Legacy initiative. On top of that, it might get a lot of fresh eyeballs due to the movie. His name will be directly tied to a hot creative property due to being the current writer of the BP book during the solo film wave. Even including the Cap rumors, said rumors said Coates was free to continue writing the BP book for as long as his schedule permits.

BANNED

Poked my head in the Storm thread and now that Wolverine is back the claws are coming out.

The pro BP and Storm fan are going to be guarding the gates. lol

I'm sure the BP bashing will be back in full effect, "thanks for giving up your book to Storm but Logan is back so we don't need you anymore"

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    I hope it's genuine improvement, because quite frankly I don't see Coates leaving the book anytime soon. There's little incentive for him to do so.

The book is going to get a boost via the Legacy initiative. On top of that, it might get a lot of fresh eyeballs due to the movie. His name will be directly tied to a hot creative property due to being the current writer of the BP book during the solo film wave. Even including the Cap rumors, said rumors said Coates was free to continue writing the BP book for as long as his schedule permits.
    Yeah, I honestly think marvel wants Coates name on the BP book when the movie comes out. I think it'll get a little bit of extra mainstream attention. I doubt it'll lead to any sort of massive sales spike (history has shown movies rarely if ever do that for the books), but I do think in the least it'll give the franchise more spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    I'm sure the BP bashing will be back in full effect, "thanks for giving up your book to Storm but Logan is back so we don't need you anymore"
    It's inevitable at this point. But it's all good, Black Panther is the one with a rising star anyway so I'm not bothered.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda

Its just a feeling based in style. The same feeling that led us to believe Coates wasn't behind the Galactic Empire. Aaron had to point it out before Coates tweeted about it. And his response seemed unenthusiastic. Then he tweeted about 18 today saying he loved writing the opening scene with the MA. Which is what I'm use to seeing from him.

Scripts can be changed.
    Scripts being changed and scripts being changed due to editorial interference are two different things.

In addition, sometimes writers gets things right and sometimes they don't, good writers included. Jason Aaron, for example, wrote See Wakanda and Die but he also wrote the infamous AvX issue that featured the BP vs Storm fight.

Regardless of how we feel, the bottom line is that the intergalactic Wakandan Empire thing is Coates' idea. If Coates wasn't enthusiastic in anyway about it, he wouldn't have passed that idea to Aaron, or retweeted Aaron''s tweet or tweet about it himself soon after. That he mentions his love for writing the MA scene doesn't negate that.

How said galactic empire arc is executed, remains to be seen.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 09-28-2017 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    Scripts being changed and scripts being changed due to editorial interference are two different things.

In addition, sometimes writers gets things right and sometimes they don't, good writers included. Jason Aaron, for example, wrote See Wakanda and Die but he also wrote the infamous AvX issue that featured the BP vs Storm fight.

Regardless of how we feel, the bottom line is that the intergalactic Wakandan Empire thing is Coates' idea. If Coates wasn't enthusiastic in anyway about it, he wouldn't have passed that idea to Aaron, or retweeted Aaron''s tweet or tweet about it himself soon after. That he mentions his love for writing the MA scene doesn't negate that.
    So you are saying the breakup was Aarons idea or Marvels?

Sometimes writers are just there to write what the company says.

Frankly I think Coates is one of the last writers to just write whatever marvel wants him to write. Writing comic books isn't his day job. If he couldn't write the stories he wanted to right, he probably wouldn't bother doing this at all.

I'm strictly talking about the fight, not the break up in general. I'm saying that despite Aaron's talent and BP writing history, a lot of us wouldn't have expected him to write the breakup the way it went down.

Even if one wants to argue that Aaron wrote that (the fight) because it was an event book and thus there was editorial interference, Coates is not writing an event book. He's writing a book that editorial has given him a lot of leeway and said book is still selling overall.

Hence why I asked why would editorial suddenly interfere now. Would've been one thing if the book was failing financially but it isn't.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 09-28-2017 at 08:26 AM.

Truthfully, I think Coates probably started reading more back issues of Black Panther, rather than just Hickman's stuff and stuff the Marvel suggested prior to his run. It's pretty tough to be immersed in BP mythos and not want to expand the scale. Unless you are Maberry, then you think, "This is unbelievable, these guys are too powerful, better have Doom destroy it."
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Extraordinary Member

Is it still considered pushback if you ask how the Wakandans got a galactic empire in between BP #18 and Legacy #1?

Or does Legacy #1 take place in the future (I'm not buying these overpriced Event Number #1s so I really don't know)?

(Checks Comixology for more info)

P.S.: @#%$%ing 5.99 for Legacy Number 1!

Really, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    And I would respond, "Y'all realize you are basically bragging that your favorite character is just Karen Page or MJ with superpowers now, right? If she isn't leading anything, and is just a featured guest AT BEST on the album, she's a back up singer. Now, doo-wap-sha-doop-out the thread."
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    And I would respond, "Y'all realize you are basically bragging that your favorite character is just Karen Page or MJ with superpowers now, right? If she isn't leading anything, and is just a featured guest AT BEST on the album, she's a back up singer. Now, doo-wap-sha-doop-out the thread."
    Let them talk ****, at the end of the day Black Panther is the character moving on to bigger and better things while Storm is gonna become wallpaper once more when she inevitably breaks up with Black Panther again.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda

Hopefully Marvel brings Rembert Browne back to work on something. It sucks his dope issue had to be tacked on to the end of that awful WoW series.
    Pull List: