BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Keeping David F Walker away from the BP mythos.

Dude's Nighthawk solo was terrible and he killed off the character needlessly on some straight up BS.

Walker's take on Nighthawk to me, was just as bad as Coatesverse Black Panther.

Walker was the only writer to get me to like Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Yes i guess the is a certain Appeal of roasting Wakandans.. seriously I like Stelfreeze's art but can we get some of Tchalla looking badass for a change
    Is it supposed to be a rebuttal to an earlier cover when BP and Shuri where on top of a hill? Also take note that the priest is in the same position that Shuri was.

Quote Originally Posted by KidStranglehold View Post
    lol wow... I did not know others considered him that bad. I TAKE BACK what I said about him...

Anyways your thoughts on an African comicbook writer writing Black Panther. As an African-American I feel we've seen too much of an "Americanized" influence on Black Panther. Want to badly see Black Panther more through African view of things. And I feel an African writer that dearly appreciates the character can do this.
    Don't, that Nighthawk run was excellent. I got all six signed at NYCC. I think he is a better noir writer than any other genre.

I dont think it matters who the writer is considering its a fictional place.
    Last edited by Cville; 12-19-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Walkers was solid enough, but I don't think anyone can touch JMS's Nighthawk.

BANNED

lol wow... I did not know others considered him that bad. I TAKE BACK what I said about him...

Anyways your thoughts on an African comicbook writer writing Black Panther. As an African-American I feel we've seen too much of an "Americanized" influence on Black Panther. Want to badly see Black Panther more through African view of things. And I feel an African writer that dearly appreciates the character can do this.
    Don't get me wrong.

David Walker's Power Man & Iron Fist was awesome with solid writing and characterisation for both characters.

I also liked his take on DC'S Cyborg a great deal.

My issue with his take on Nighthawk was solely down to the fact that he lacked the ability to write a nuanced tale about an African American billionaire who also happened to be a brutal vigilante with a pronounced level of paranoia juxtaposed against the backdrop of heightened prejudice against Caucasian protagonists, antagonists and victims alike.

Walker wrote Nighthawk as a one dimensional character totally lacking in the calculating, inventive, machiavellian and brutal leanings that made JMS's take on the same character.

Walker (much like Coates with T'Challa) decided to reinvent the wheel with Nighthawk and in the process wrote a totally out of character lesser version.

Milquetoast Nighthawk.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    WHAT the WHAT..!!! He said this about Coates! Okay dude missed me on that one. I do remember Priest being a jerk about Panther movie, his reasoning and explanation is still suspect. Is dude THAT hateful about writing black characters that he throws love at anyone else seemingly doing the same thing.
    Priest never even wanted to write T'Challa in the first place and even after reluctantly taking on the gig, lumbered the mythos with Everret K.Ross's narrative as opposed to giving T'Challa's own distinctive voice.

Priest's undeniable genius writing made it virtually impossible for him to write a "bad" BP irrespective of his reluctance to write the character from day one.

I like my writers to be wholeheartedly into the characters they're commissioned to write as opposed to a writer who half ass's it.

Self hate is a helluva drug.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    I'm assuming you haven't read JMS's Nighthawk.

PHYSICIAN/PSYCHIATRIST WAKANDA FOREVER!'s Avatar

All I know is that Ogun in the Marvel U IF DONE RIGHT would be badass. Yoruba people have some of the coolest gods ever. So much potential. They and their indigenous religion reminds me of Ancient Greece.
    I remember that Firestorm elemental Story line by Ostrander an' 'em. Shango was da ****.

Ultimate Member

Priest never even wanted to write T'Challa in the first place and even after reluctantly taking on the gig, lumbered the mythos with Everret K.Ross's narrative as opposed to giving T'Challa's own distinctive voice.

Priest's undeniable genius writing made it virtually impossible for him to write a "bad" BP irrespective of his reluctance to write the character from day one.

I like my writers to be wholeheartedly into the characters they're commissioned to write as opposed to a writer who half ass's it.

My God, this line of attack on Priest will never end, will it?

God forbid a man be tired of being pigeon holed as only a black writer who, in trying to write black characters with depth, was often told he wrote their dialogue poorly. Heaven forbid he try to be seen as simply a writer, and not a 'black writer' with all the connotations assigned to that.

I'm white and not a professional writer, so I don't know first hand what that's like, but I imagine that it sucks. I'm pretty sure being judged just on the merits of their ability isn't too high a hope for some.

Priest restored a sense of mystique to Black Panther, who ha been overlooked for decades. With his understanding of politics, he made Wakanda a convincing world power.

And point of fact, he give Black Panther a voice. It was controlled, regal and intelligent. That T'Challa did not provide the narration, does not mean he did not have a voice.

Point of fact, Priest's Panther had more of a voice than Hudlin's Panther, who went from regal, to citing american hip hop to dialogue that would make Stan Lee blush ("Couldn't make an appointment?").

All Ross ever did was toss a pitch, T'Challa was the one who hit the home runs, under Priest.

Priest acted as a professional. He asked himself how to make Panther bad ass, mulled it over and executed it with exceptional skill.

Under Priest, T'Challa punched out the devil and outwitted the Russian mob and CIA.

Under Hudlin, all it took was Batroc, Rhino, Klaw, Black Knight and Radioactive Man were all it took to bring Wakanda to it's knees.

Hudlin may have been a bigger fan of Panther, but all T'Challa ever did under Hudlin was punch down.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

God forbid a man be tired of being pigeon holed as only a black writer who, in trying to write black characters with depth, was often told he wrote their dialogue poorly. Heaven forbid he try to be seen as simply a writer, and not a 'black writer' with all the connotations assigned to that.

I'm white and not a professional writer, so I don't know first hand what that's like, but I imagine that it sucks. I'm pretty sure being judged just on the merits of their ability isn't too high a hope for some.

Priest restored a sense of mystique to Black Panther, who ha been overlooked for decades. With his understanding of politics, he made Wakanda a convincing world power.

And point of fact, he give Black Panther a voice. It was controlled, regal and intelligent. That T'Challa did not provide the narration, does not mean he did not have a voice.

Point of fact, Priest's Panther had more of a voice than Hudlin's Panther, who went from regal, to citing american hip hop to dialogue that would make Stan Lee blush ("Couldn't make an appointment?").

All Ross ever did was toss a pitch, T'Challa was the one who hit the home runs, under Priest.

Priest acted as a professional. He asked himself how to make Panther bad ass, mulled it over and executed it with exceptional skill.

Under Priest, T'Challa punched out the devil and outwitted the Russian mob and CIA.

Under Hudlin, all it took was Batroc, Rhino, Klaw, Black Knight and Radioactive Man were all it took to bring Wakanda to it's knees.

Hudlin may have been a bigger fan of Panther, but all T'Challa ever did under Hudlin was punch down.
    You were good up until the bolded. lol

If Radioactive Man had done what he was supposed to do, maybe. But I think they had everything well in hand. lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Walkers was solid enough, but I don't think anyone can touch JMS's Nighthawk.
    I'm assuming you haven't read JMS's Nighthawk.

I read two issues of that and I found it to be hottest of hot garbage along with his AMS run

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

Nobody is attacking Priest all that has been said is the fact that like any human Priest can go on tangents and take some things as a slight against him when it wasn’t and how BP in Civil War in attitude and tone took a lot from his work

Lightbulb Well said Maj! No hal-stepping for BP writers!

Well said Maj.

I didn't like Priest run, especially coming off of Milestone Comics as I was at the time.
    There was a weird passive-aggressiveness to Priest writing of BP that turned me off and I couldn't make sense of until I read his essays concerning producing the series.

http://digitalpriest.com/legacy/comi...her/start.html

I hated the character Everett Ross's stupidity and didn't find him funny or interesting!
    Point-of-View character?! Where is the POV character for Tony Stark or Thor!?
    I don't like Priest sense of "humor".

Hudlin's series is the reason I'm a fan Black Panther. He even got me to like Storm!

And I can't wait to see the film that has been produced with love by people who are proud of Black Panther!

Black Panther Production designer Hannah Beachler
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM3ldOEbfnI&t

The Black Panther cast feeling the Love!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kzl7UN7O8o

Another Panel. The person second from the right is Marvel producer Nate Moore.
    Ryan Coogler has his head on right!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrefD2fVgbk

Excelsior!

Daoud

anyone familiar with Red Lion?

The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    anyone familiar with Red Lion?

I haven't been keeping up, but he is essentially the evil Tchalla. He use to be dictator of his own country. Not sure if he is back in charge. He ethnically cleansed the Muslims in his country by the dump-truck load. He used Slade as a go between to pay off a Senator to keep the UN from coming in and stopping him. My details may be a little fuzzie.