Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    When did I do that? I'm complaining about the coverage. Not how to feel about the movie.

In that post you responded to, that's a question. Not a command.
    Why are you surprised by the coverage?
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Black Panther and T'Challa, and Wakanda are the language of myth. We NEED myth. Nuff said.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I'm going to see this with my wife on Monday. But my boss actually asked me yesterday if there was a way she could pitch this movie to our XO as something for a team building exercise.

LOL. Now I, for work, have to write a proposal on why we should be able to see Black Panther and charge it to admin leave.

Truthfully, it will be a pretty easy sell. I can't really get into what I do for a living, but let's just say this is comical as hell.
    You should word it so you get to see all the Marvel movies!

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Also I'm kinda annoyed I didn't stay for the second end credit scenes because the people I was with wanted to leave
    It's not worth staying for. It kinda pissed me off because it seems they are erasing a character I wanted to see in the future. That character would've helped with certain white people who complain that every single movie ever created doesn't include them in prominent roles
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    It's not worth staying for. It kinda pissed me off because it seems they are erasing a character I wanted to see in the future. That character would've helped with certain white people who complain that every single movie ever created doesn't include them in prominent roles
    you are assuming that's who he will be. the kids could have been saying that because he reminds them of him. we dont know yet.

Yeah I gave it 10/10 last night I give it 11/10 on my second viewing.

Movie was really powerful the best line imo was when Sterling told mbj that the Africans would think he was "lost"

Stuff like that makes me wanna clean up my language and remove n word from my vocabulary
    1. in reflection, man the cast all successfully created and adopted a unified sounding wakandan accent.

2. the contrast between the way t'challa and killmonger spoke.... it really played up and highlighted how unsophisticated our language is becoming

3. i couldnt help thinking about all the faces in the crowd who are so newely exposed to black panther and killmonger for really the first time, i couldldnt help but wonder how many people identified more with killmonger then t'challa?

you cant help those people. dont fixate on the negative, reflect on the positive

When did I do that? I'm complaining about the coverage. Not how to feel about the movie.

In that post you responded to, that's a question. Not a command.

Because what you're saying is bullshit.

When Avengers and all that junk came out before and everyone was flipping out and most never heard of avengers or iron man it wasn't a problem for anyone.

But now that black panther is getting his shine all the bandwagoners should be ashamed because they like it because it's black?
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Why are you surprised by the coverage?
    I'm not, lol. Just put off by it.

I felt the same with Wonder Woman.

Because what you're saying is bullshit.

When Avengers and all that junk came out before and everyone was flipping out and most never heard of avengers or iron man it wasn't a problem for anyone.

But now that black panther is getting his shine all the bandwagoners should be ashamed because they like it because it's black?
    Who said that? Me? Literally show me where I said that it's shameful because it's black?

I said agendas are being pushed, and various "facts", such as the nature of Wakanda, and BP being the first black superhero movie, are being said to paint a false picture.

With Avengers, and Iron Man, what social agendas were there to be pushed? Exactly.

I brought up Moonlight because it does more for diversity than BP does, but the same liberal journalists didn't say anything about the "impact" Moonlight would have being the type of movie it was, and winning Best Picture.

That's what I said. I don't mind hype. I just don't like these agendas latching themselves to, what seems to be at the very least, a good movie. At least with Moonlight it would've made sense. Here? Not so much.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 02-16-2018 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    you are assuming that's who he will be. the kids could have been saying that because he reminds them of him. we dont know yet.
    Well I hope he appears the white wakandian could be huge for the box office.

I'm tired of every white reviewer acting like they are scared to voice a opinion on the movie or keep clarifying that they are speaking as a outsider.

Give them a token who can actually fight and they can use as a POV. Ross is ok but he's not "cool"

Well I hope he appears the white wakandian could be huge for the box office.

I'm tired of every white reviewer acting like they are scared to voice a opinion on the movie or keep clarifying that they are speaking as a outsider.

Give them a token who can actually fight and they can use as a POV. Ross is ok but he's not "cool"
    I've got issues with that, too. However, there are p eople who treat white people like they shouldn't have an opinion, or it's invalid because they're white.

Is that an excuse when black people produce these products? 12 Years A Slave was written, directed and produced by black people (and Brad Pitt). Birth of a Nation is the same.

Black people want to see these stories. To remind people.

Still, black people only go and support basic movies en masse.

All these people are calling it the "blackest movie" rather than the most African becuz they don't really get it. The story of Wakanda is very interesting, but is it something to feel pride about? I mean they hid themselves, and abandoned, the rest of Africa during colonialism, and refused to help those same countries decades after the fact.

So really, they should feel pride in extreme nationalism, and xenophobia?
    You make a valid point. There's a certain irony in people getting a sense of pride over an African nation that turned it's back on the rest of Africa to protect itself.

But at the same time, There's no denying plenty of small boys and girls aren't inspired by what they see in the movie. The end results speak for themselves.

Is that an excuse when black people produce these products? 12 Years A Slave was written, directed and produced by black people (and Brad Pitt). Birth of a Nation is the same.

Black people want to see these stories. To remind people.

Still, black people only go and support basic movies en masse.

All these people are calling it the "blackest movie" rather than the most African becuz they don't really get it. The story of Wakanda is very interesting, but is it something to feel pride about? I mean they hid themselves, and abandoned, the rest of Africa during colonialism, and refused to help those same countries decades after the fact.

So really, they should feel pride in extreme nationalism, and xenophobia?
    the problem isn't that it's about extreme nationalism or about xenophobia. the problem is that it's not about you and anytime something of this nature comes out people like you always want to suppress it.

This movie isn't even close to 300 when it comes to xenophobia or nationalism.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    You make a valid point. There's a certain irony in people getting a sense of pride over an African nation that turned it's back on the rest of Africa to protect itself.

But at the same time, There's no denying plenty of small boys and girls aren't inspired by what they see in the movie. The end results speak for themselves.
    Well, the end result, according to my brother, who saw it last night, is a good movie, with good drama, and characters, but is brought down by meh action beats, and XB360 level CGI. He gave it an 8/10.

He semi-reads comics, and he found it weird that people feel proud about an Afican country that abandoned the rest of AfRica, too. People screamed "Wakanda Forever", and was like..."they admitted to being xenophobic in the movie..."

Quote Originally Posted by neohuey89 View Post
    the problem isn't that it's about extreme nationalism or about xenophobia. the problem is that it's not about you and anytime something of this nature comes out people like you always want to suppress it.

This movie isn't even close to 300 when it comes to xenophobia or nationalism.
    I'm not talking about the movie, lol. I'm talking about clear, and factual, traits of Wakanda in the comics, even now.

Stop being so defensive, and actually read what I posted. The media, and Disney, are against the alt-right, yet promote Wakanda as a thing we should be proud of...yet it's more alt-right than the alt-right lol.

Also, based on your comment ("the problem is that it's not about you"), you probably think I'm white. I'm actually an American born, and raised, Nigerian lol.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 02-16-2018 at 10:45 AM.