Spectacular Member

Movie was dope. People complaining that black panther felt like a supporting character in his own movie, don't understand that that is the way it actually is in his comics. The Black Panther is a superhero but he is also his people. Kudos for staying true to the source material. Excellent movie. I can't say it enough.

Invincible Member

Interesting to see a piece about BP on the BBC news show.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Well I hope he appears the white wakandian could be huge for the box office.

I'm tired of every white reviewer acting like they are scared to voice a opinion on the movie or keep clarifying that they are speaking as a outsider.

Give them a token who can actually fight and they can use as a POV. Ross is ok but he's not "cool"
    I think I like the idea of him being that. It gives them a path to Redemption, not just coming back and picking up the mantle for Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by DMightyBlue View Post
    Movie was dope. People complaining that black panther felt like a supporting character in his own movie, don't understand that that is the way it actually is in his comics. The Black Panther is a superhero but he is also his people. Kudos for staying true to the source material. Excellent movie. I can't say it enough.
    It depends on what your going off of. Coates run does it in a bad way. Priest was the only other writer who made him like a supporting cast but even then he was the driving force as the pov Character was retelling the story.
    Hudlin, Liss, McGregor and so far Evans, are making it known that Tchalla isn't a guest and he is the Main focus

first time I'm hearing about this

The J-man

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post

The trailers did not do this movie justice. Really good movie. 8.5-9/10.
    Which is why we couldn't understand what you were talking about all day
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I disliked the idea of T'challa and Nakia because I thought she was a dora but she wasn't in the movie so I dig it

I just hope nobody gets any ideas with the comics. If they want to replicate that just bring the lady from the Gillis mini who is pretty much who Lupita played.
    Yeah Lupita was pretty much Malaika with Nakia's name.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I have so many thoughts, I decided to just put them down now before I read everyone else's thoughts. I'm going to go back and comment on everyone else's posts right after mine if everyone doesn't mind.

I loved this movie. The plot was great both with story and theme, there are minor complaints about the CGI, it's everything I hoped it would be. I don't think there's anything more to say. Now to the specifics:

spoilers:
    I'll go through a few characters and a few other elements. First, I loved how they handled M'Baku and the Jabari. They were believable, subtle, but didn't lose any of the elements that make them interesting. Shuri is great too, but it's a very different take on Shuri. I'd argue the same with Nakia. To me, this Nakia just emphasizes why it would be a mistake to make Nakia the love interest in the comics (just introduce a new character like this Nakia).

I didn't like the changes to W'Kabi, who is a character I like a lot as the hot-headed but loyal security advisor to T'Challa. That being said, I noticed a lot of elements from Hunter in this character (of course, there was also the White Wolf Easter Egg at the end). As an amalgamation of the two characters, I thought he worked well. He also had relationship problems in the comics, but maybe not as dramatic as those between him and Okoye in the movie (I think his wife's name in the comics was Chandra). I had trouble keeping the Dora Milaje apart in the movie and thought Okoye had been killed at one point. I assume it was Ayo who had been killed? I'm glad they didn't make Ayo W'Kabi's love interest. I also wanted to point out that, in the comics, W'Kabi got a robotic arm very similar to Ulysses Klaw's tech, so he definitely got it from Wakanda.

I loved Killmonger in this movie. I liked the changes they made to make the story more personal, but I also like how he was able to represent American imperialism while still having a Wakandan motivation. That part - an outsider's perspective on Wakanda, is the same. I also don't think the change from Erik Killmonger to Erik Stevens was just because Killmonger's a dumb name. It would have been the name his father took when he came to the United States. I also love that they didn't shy away from calling him N'Jadaka. I didn't notice that T'Challa's shouting N'Jadaka in the trailer (it just sounded like nonsense screaming).

I feel like Don McGregor, Christopher Priest, Reginald Hudlin, and Ta-Nehisi Coates were all represented in the story. Hudlin is the most obvious, with the style of Wakanda, the addition of Shuri, the look of the Dora Milaje, etc. The Panther's super suit owes it's origin to Priest, but I feel that they kept finding ways to make him shirtless or depowered so he could get injured easily as a tribute to McGregor. The healing properties of the heart-shaped herb were in this story, which I only first noticed mentioned in Panther's Quest. Of course, Warror Falls and T'Challa being thrown off of it are straight from Panther's Rage. I'm a little disappointed he didn't get to fight a dinosaur, but I'm glad to see he got to wrestle a Rhino, which I think I commented was gratuitously inserted into that story. I also want to give credit to the artist of Panther's Rage, Billy Graham since they seemed to draw on for significant influence for the designs of the Jabari lands. With Coates, there's obviously the force push ability, which was used in very cool ways. There's also the Dora Milaje fighting the Hatut Zeraze, which feels like it's influenced by the current run.

I do wonder where we're going to go from here. Klaw is dead unless someone wants to reanimate him as a sound creature. I don't think Hunter or M'Baku are going to be the enemies. I wonder if they'll draw in someone like Moses Magnum or take T'Challa out of Wakanda. Either way, I'm sure they'll figure it out and do a great job. We need more Black Panther in our movies.
    end of spoilers

Also, I was really amused by the guy behind me who, as soon as the movie was over, explained what happened to the people next to him (who I guess didn't understand it). He also kept insisting that they wait until they end since they were convinced that there would be no post-credit scenes.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Like I said, I hope people don't mind the double post (are we not doing spoiler code anymore?)

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    I LIked that they put HSH and Bast out front and center.
    I just commented in my own post, but I was glad I just re-read that the heart-shaped herb had healing properties. Speaking of Bast, I noticed that M'Baku referred to his god as Hanuman.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    One thing: the woman with Killmonger was NOT Nightshade. She was never referred to as such and her name was Linda.
    That's worth pointing out. I had honestly forgotten that's who she was supposedly going to be. I wonder if she always had that name or if they changed it because of Luke Cage. Either way, looking forward to Luke Cage.

Some of lines that got huge pops at my theater

spoilers:

Like a hyena in headlights
    Don't sneak up on me colonizer
    Kansas
    Coachella or Disney Land
    Hey Auntie
    We're vegetarians
    Delete that footage
    end of spoilers
    Wasn't it Antelope in headlights? The Kansas, delete that footage, and vegetarian lines were definitely big hits in my theater too. Really, anything by M'Baku or Shuri.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    My only tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny nitpick with the film is the Disney bow or veneer that was slightly there at times, mostly at the very very end. Movie was ultimately pretty heavy and then they kind of wrapped it like a Marvel's/Disney film, which was a little too evident for me.
    The only thing that stood out to me was how bloodless the final death was. Maybe it's because I've been reading Panther's Quest for the past three weeks, but this felt tame by comparison. Of course, if they showed the true impact of that spear, the movie might have lost its PG-13 rating.

It's not worth staying for. It kinda pissed me off because it seems they are erasing a character I wanted to see in the future. That character would've helped with certain white people who complain that every single movie ever created doesn't include them in prominent roles
    As I said in my other post, I honestly think W'Kabi absorbed a lot of elements from Hunter, so I didn't think he was likely either way. But sometimes an Easter Egg is just an Easter Egg and doesn't tie their hands for the future if they wanted to use that character.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    My favorite was the jungle action map of Wakanda that was in killmongers father (s’yad?) journal
    Oh crap, I missed that. I didn't pay that much attention to the map beyond that it existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    BP comics should fully adopt the mcu franchise as the foundation, with a few tweaks. Rise is on the right path
    I don't think they need to. The comics foundation of Wakanda is so strong that the movie heavily borrowed from it. This movie isn't a radical reinvention of Wakanda, it's a love letter to what the country does right.

BTW, I've seen some comments about this movie and the impact on Hollywood or cultural impact in general. I feel this deserves some thought, but I'm still hyped about the movie and need to reflect some more. I will say I think the final scene before the credits was possibly the most thematically important scene of the movie, though.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Really what can I say that hasn't been said already been said about a great movie? Not much but I will say this when I saw it earlier today the audience composition shocked me, there was young, old, black, and white. Hell there was a whole class on a field trip there. It was wonderful seeing so many different people come to see it. Now for some general thoughts, Killmonger will go down as one of the better MCU villains to me. Yes he was cocky and clearly evil but a lot of what he said rang true in a sense. For a dude with a gorilla motif M'Baku was a cool dude. I'm on the T'ChallaxNakia train 200% now so I hope the movies stick with it. Somewhat related I hope the movie convinces people to check out the Black Panther comics since there seems to be so much misinformation spread around about him. Also ship Coates off to X-Land where he wants to be and get a writer on the book who can bring MCU T'Challa into the comics.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Mighty Member

Never thought anything would replace the original Star Wars in my heart. Wow! Teared up a few times. I'll be more rational tomorrow and Sunday, but for now; Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Deadline estimating 200m
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

PHYSICIAN/PSYCHIATRIST WAKANDA FOREVER!'s Avatar

Speechless. So was the 6 year old.

The movie was great. I think the cast did an excellent job with this film from start to finish. I also loved the dynamic between Shuri and T'Challa. I'm so happy this film is being received well. M'Baku was cool too. I'm really impressed with what was done with the character.

Also, there were so many people at the film who were quoting lines and singing the lyrics to the various chants and hymns from the film. A few people even dressed up which was awesome.

This film was everything I could have wanted. Props to the cast and everyone who worked on film in front of the camera and behind the scenes.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!