Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    The side characters in Black Panther are getting more praise than

Rhodey, Falcon, Bucky, Black Widow, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, or Vision ever got.

Even M'Baku getting more praise than the Avengers members. Think about that for a second.

That shows how strong the characters are for this IP. Going forward this franchise won't have to have 300-500 million dollar budgets (like cw/iw) trying to accommodate "star" level characters.

Built Not Bought!
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

One would hope the actors get paid more after this given the movie's success, though.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Punjabi_Hitman View Post
    Yes and the beginning of the royal bloodline was Bashenga
    in the comics yes. In the mu it just said a warrior shaman had a vision from Bast, and where to get the HSH.
    When he took it he untited the other tribes except the jabari and he was the first Black Panther. But every tribe can become king and BP. It never said that they all came form bashenga. Just the first BP United Wakanda

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Lesson View Post
    What’s interesting about so many people in this thread disliking Coates work, is that Priest is a self professed fan of what he’s done, and where he’s going with BP.
    The two responses I saw from Priest were very......neutral. I got the feeling he didn't want to bash another professional. Does he have a third where he says decidedly that he actually likes the work? Gotta link?
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Spectacular Member

What’s interesting about so many people in this thread disliking Coates work, is that Priest is a self professed fan of what he’s done, and where he’s going with BP.
    You find it weird that people in this thread have opinions of their own? What were you expecting, mindless drones who like whatever a writer they happen to follow enjoys?

Quote Originally Posted by MouserGrey View Post
    The two responses I saw from Priest were very......neutral. I got the feeling he didn't want to bash another professional. Does he have a third where he says decidedly that he actually likes the work? Gotta link?
    In this link, Priest said he's read some of it and thinks it's brilliant and uniquely his own.

https://www.newsarama.com/37782-blac...tt-k-ross.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phumgano View Post
    You find it weird that people in this thread have opinions of their own? What were you expecting, mindless drones who like whatever a writer they happen to follow enjoys?
    Beautiful response.

I'll always give Christopher J. Priest credit for bringing T'Challa back from creative limbo as well as revitalising the character, but at the end of the day, his opinion and alleged appreciation of Coates "work" does not come as a suprise to me.

Priest, was a self confessed reluctant BP scribe at best, whose raw professionalism at least ensured high quality storytelling that kept fans intrigued despite his introduction of the Everett K Ross and Hunter characters to the BP mythos and.

Priest's constant fear of cancellation, no doubt led to the listless tone of the series towards the end of its run which had T'Challa left broken, innefective and all milquetoast like after enduring a brain aneurysm.

Bearing all of the above in mind, why wouldn't he celebrate Coates equally broken and thoroughly milquetoast take on T'Challa.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 03-01-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Grammatical errors.

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    The mantles of king and Black Panther are separate titles, as established in Captain America: Civil War. Killmonger even clarifies that he's challenging for both titles in the throne room. I don't think T'Chaka did this based on T'Challa's dialogue in Civil War, where he refers to the Black Panther as a mantle "passed from warrior to warrior." The way he says it seems to imply that it's been a warrior lineage for awhile. Assuming T'Chaka is in his 40s in 1992 (I'm basing that off of Sterling K. Brown being 41 and the younger brother, but black don't crack so they could both be closer to Atandwa Kani's age of 33), that would make him anywhere between 55 and 70 in Civil War (actor John Kani is 75). So 45-60 at the time T'Challa is beginning as Black Panther. I have a feeling someone would have challenged or been bestowed the mantle in the interim between T'Chaka and T'Challa.

But it's the Black Panther who gets the Heart-shaped herb.
    Enter S'Yan for sequel...

Ultimate Member

When CW came along, I just assumed that T'Challa was BP because T'Chaka had gotten too old to continue donning the suit. So it's like "here son, you be the protector now." But you can be old and still be a monarch of course.

You find it interesting that many people like Priest's work but don't agree with him about Coates? What, people are supposed to step in line because it's Priest?

I give him major props as the greatest BP writer and I am very thankful he brought him out of limbo.

He revitalized BP and dropped that noble negro syndrome nonsense. He stopped all that pyrrhic victory bullisht as well.

But he is not head priest of the BP fan club and no one is under any obligation to fall in line behind him and his views.

CBB.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Crying about black panther getting beat up in a single fight or sharing his genuis trait with his sister is laughable

Nobody hates to see King T'Challa at his peak. I'm just happy he got a damn movie finally. The way some of you act it's like you rather the movie not come out if it's not 100% like Christopher Priest. This isn't 616 idk what's so hard to understand about that.

It reminds me of the Spider-Man only fans after Homecoming released. Complaining about the suit taking away from Peter's intelligence or something. I mean The Winter Solider is looked at as the best MCU movie by alot of people. Cap lost basically every time he fought the Winter Solider and woke up in the hospital after the final fight. It's not the end of the world. Your floppies still exist
    Again, I don't mind him getting beaten up or sharing genius with his sister. I personally just wanted more scheming, but as I said before - it's what it is.

Also, I'm exactly one of those people who hated the suit in Homecoming for the exact same reason lmao. Go away, Stark >

And yeah Winter Soldier is probably still best Marvel movie. That or Civil War, then BP.

I have a theory on the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda.

It was founded by Skrulls.

Remember the Skrulls who Panther let live and return home at the end of SWaD? These survivors in defeat somehow came to be impressed by how BP and Wakanda played them and beat them. However, they couldn't return home to the Skrull empire in defeat. So they went into hiding in a remote corner of the universe and began emulating the enemy who had just beaten them.

Pretty soon they are worshipping the Panther as a god, taking the shape of Wakandans and before long an empire is born.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post

Remember the Skrulls who Panther let live and return home at the end of SWaD? These survivors in defeat somehow came to be impressed by how BP and Wakanda played them and beat them. However, they couldn't return home to the Skrull empire in defeat. So they went into hiding in a remote corner of the universe and began emulating the enemy who had just beaten them.

Pretty soon they are worshipping the Panther as a god, taking the shape of Wakandans and before long an empire is born.
    You just shook my mind. That would be wild!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
    You just shook my mind. That would be wild!
    That's the only way I can see an empire being developed so quickly and why there would ultimately be a confrontation.

It also gives T'Challa and Wakanda an out if this empire was built through conquest.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post

That would be an amazing twist! But unfortunately that’s a bit too imaginative for someone like Coates.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"