Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    All advanced countries have areas that you would think haven't moved forward in time. Lol. The Dora's villiagers still live in traditional huts.
    That being the case, things like rape camps really shouldn't be that surprising, should it?

Moral of the story being not all of Wakanda is technologically advanced, and not all of Wakanda is spiritually advanced. So the stuff we're seeing in Priests and Coates run can happen.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    kind of surprised Marvel hasn't givenStorm a solo but given the state of the X-men I'm not really surprised
    They did but it died quietly and no one's mentioned it since.

came across this Priest quote on ScansDaily. I'm sure some o you are familiar with this one, but it is new to me:

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/7604198.html#cutid1

"Marvel *completely* misinterpreted and distorted Spider-Man vs. Wolverine to use it as justification to marry Pete and MJ, when the point of that story was the *exact* opposite: why theirs would be a dysfunctional and unsustainable relationship. Years later, Marvel did it again, completely missing the entire point of my BP/Storm flirtation–the unconsummated love since childhood–and married them off. No offense to the writer, but it was a dead idea in that all it did was build a dead end to T’Challa’s future and make him less interesting."
    - Christopher Priest

I was a huge fan of both marriages personally but this is an interesting opinion from Priest
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    That being the case, things like rape camps really shouldn't be that surprising, should it?

Moral of the story being not all of Wakanda is technologically advanced, and not all of Wakanda is spiritually advanced. So the stuff we're seeing in Priests and Coates run can happen.
    No, rape camps require people to go missing. And as seen in Rise, that is something Tchalla is capable of dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    No, rape camps require people to go missing. And as seen in Rise, that is something Tchalla is capable of dealing with.
    People go missing is Wakanda. Sometimes T'CHalla does with it. And sometimes he does not.

Again, crime happens. And Black Panther is NOT going to personally deal with every single crime that occurs in his nation. That's simply not possible. To expect him to would be rather silly.

You can't handle the truth...

Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar

The story gave the Originals a VERY understandable and almost sympathetic motive... they simply want to go home. Doesn't justify their actions necessarily... but it gives their motives, and the story overall a degree of depth. It means the story goes beyond simply punching out a monster. It may still come to that, but it becomes a more complicated matter. And again, that's the story you want from a super hero king. It's not a Hulk story where something needs to be punched and you call it a day... there are social, historical, and perhaps even political implications in addition to that.

Now, if you don't like them then you don't like them... but the point being that the notion of them being driven off their homeland creates layers for them. The same way Killmonger got layers by having T'Chaka and Wakanda screw him over. Yes, it arguably puts them in a negative light but that makes for a better story. It's a shades of grey sort of thing, as opposed to things being purely black and white.
    Let's talk intellectually for a moment.

Who stole/omitted Wakanda's history? Because for Shuri to say the 'savage years' and T'Challa to say that he did not know about that part in Wakanda's history meant that it had to be deliberately hidden. Since logically when an oral society (the griots) moves into a written down words society someone should have recorded the oral history of this make believe country of Wakanda. Then to my mind Bashenga would have to take responsibility for that blot on the country's past since all known Wakandan history led back to his reign. T'Challa needs to speak with him about that when next on the ancestral plane.

Unless the overall story was to deconstruct Wakanda as a utopia which again is a myth IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    came across this Priest quote on ScansDaily. I'm sure some o you are familiar with this one, but it is new to me:

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/7604198.html#cutid1

- Christopher Priest

I was a huge fan of both marriages personally but this is an interesting opinion from Priest
    Really what Priest was doing was essentially what Claremont initially intended with the couple (which of course isn't to say that Hudlin or anyone else for that matter is obligated to follow what Claremont intended at the time).

Attachment 63848

As far as Peter and MJ... I'm a fan of them too, but really their marriage was a publicity stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    You can't handle the truth...

They should have left that it in.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by LastManStanding View Post
    Let's talk intellectually for a moment.

Who stole/omitted Wakanda's history? Because for Shuri to say the 'savage years' and T'Challa to say that he did not know about that part in Wakanda's history meant that it had to be deliberately hidden. Since logically when an oral society (the griots) moves into a written down words society someone should have recorded the oral history of this make believe country of Wakanda. Then to my mind Bashenga would have to take responsibility for that blot on the country's past since all known Wakandan history led back to his reign. T'Challa needs to speak with him about that when next on the ancestral plane.

Unless the overall story was to deconstruct Wakanda as a utopia which again is a myth IMO.
    History is written by the winners. None of the originators had cell phones which could record what REALLY happened for YouTube. So the version of what happened really was left to the early Wakandans, who had the ability to shape the narrative as they saw fit. I can't say who specifically may have chosen to selectively edit history, if anyone even did it at all... but I find the idea that it happened believable enough.

I think it's a little bit of both. Yes, heroes are male fantasies. But especially at marvel, they're also flawed characters with feet of clay.

Thor right now is a perfect example of all of the above. In marvel he may well be the ULTIMATE male fantasy. He's literally a god prince. But presently he's also missing his hammer, missing his arm, and even missing his name. This is the ultimate male fantasy hero with 3 movies and hundreds of issues of books spanning decades and he's spent over a year being depowered, disfigured, and displaced from his own book.

So yes, marvel characters will be strong masculine characters. But they're also going to be dragged through the mud and screwed over every possible way imaginable. There are days you dream about being these characters... and there are day so thank god you're not. You get the best and the worst of both worlds.
    Key in. He has spent over a year of deconstruction.. T'Challa has been deconstructed since Hudlin left... Thor's got it easy compared to Tchalla

On the way back from dropping my son off at college yesterday I bumped the Ludwig Goransson Black Panther soundtrack...

My review thus far is that he is not quite yet on Hans Zimmer level but he does get the job done on these tracks!

Much like John Williams on Star Wars you can tell where each track depicts what scene or character and the emotional content involved with that particular act!

Driving through California mountain ranges accented the effect and since traffic was rather light this time I could push ever so gently over the speed limit without attracting highway patrol!

The standout feature is the Killmonger theme which has made it's way into my workout music rotation and compares favorably to anything Hans Zimmer did with the Nolan Batman themes and Inception!

The Jabari Tribe themes (there are 3 of them) should be used at football stadiums for the teams entrance taking the field just for the sake of intimidating the other teams cheerleaders like they did Queen Mother, Princess Shuri, future Queen Nakia and agent Ross!

HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) should have a field day with this soundtrack and let the other campus based bands like Ohio State and them do the traditional Star Wars themes!

As usual with most albums there is always a track or two you might want to fast forward/skip over but in a similar way like A Tribe Called Quest's The Low End Theory album it flows through smoothly with a triumphant flare the closer you get to the end!

I see it like a musical cross between the lighthearted Lion King and serious like The Dark Knight with it's African based inspirational themes... As I listen to it over and over perhaps it will grow on me more and more but regardless it is an instant classic!

I highly recommend it for road trips where the possibility of feeling groggy or sleepy behind the wheel can set in as this can perk you up like you are soaring through mountain canyons in a Royal Talon Fighter jet!

Enjoy...

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    If any repairing of the pairing is to be acknowledged then significant progress needs to be made outside of a BP book. Otherwise its all for naught.
    There won't be. Hell while Coates was having T'Challa do his whole your my best friend and my everything spiel, x writers had Storm kissing Gambit in another book.. No fucks are Given about what Coates is doing from marvel

Romeo and Juliet took place in what.... the 1300's? This sort of behavior might be expected centuries ago, but us to see it in Wakanda in modern times IMO made it look backwards. This is supposed to be the most advanced nation in the world, which credits itself for having advanced spirituality in comparison to the western world. But there's an underlying primitiveness to it. And I frankly assume that's the point of adding those elements... nonetheless to me that made Wakanda look worse.

For the record I'm not knocking that Priest put it in the story (though some elements perhaps could have been neutered a bit)... just saying that it made Wakanda look bad for the sake of telling it. The moral of the story being that this sort of thing has happened before, and will likely continue to happen. Wakanda will sometimes be made to look bad for the sake of telling a story. That sort of comes with the territory of having a super hero king.
    Nope you can't do that. You can't take Priest originband Hudlin's and try to alternate between the two to try and form your argument. Priest version was barely held together and could teeter. Hudlins version was the spiritually advanced nation. Of your going to compare. Do it right. Also Coates version isn't just simple street crime. It's big enough that the entire country is in disarray to a massive level with Forced gender inequality, and uncaring government

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Key in. He has spent over a year of deconstruction.. T'Challa has been deconstructed since Hudlin left... Thor's got it easy compared to Tchalla
    Given the choice It's much rather be T'Challa than Thor at the moment. T'Challa at least has all his limbs intact.