Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    There are like 5 a list actors these days. It doesnt mean what it used to mean.
    That is very true. I've seen many articles in recent years from industry insiders speculating if the the days of "names" selling films is over. The bigger bet is on franchises now, which is why many of those A-listers and past-A-listers are trying to attach themselves now (like Tom Cruise doing The Mummy, which was supposed to kickoff a Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe). And probably not coincidental that, in 40 years, Denzel has just made his first sequel, with Equalizer 2, his own "superhero" film.

The one thing helping many of those big names, even older ones like Stallone and Schwarzenegger, is that they still draw overseas.

I just want Proxima Midnight spoilers nothing else

As for Boseman he's had the best agent in Hollywood since 2011 (I'm half joking) but seriously ever since he jumped from bit parts and guest recurring on tv to Jackie Robinson in 2013 he's been on fire. 3 Big time Biopics, Jackie Robinson, James Brown, Thurgood Marshall. He almost played Sugar Ray Robinson, but movie didn't happen. Than he lands Black Panther. Talk about a streak. Even his two critically panned movies, where he was just supporting (Draft Day and Gods of Egypt) didn't ding him.

As others have said A-List and B-List etc. doesn't really mean what it use too. Actors and actresses will still demand their salaries, but that doesn't guarantee box office success. Ask Jeniffer Lawrences last few films. 20 years ago Brad Pitt could have gone to a studio and ask to make a movie about PB&J nowadays no dice.

http://www.businessinsider.com/actor...963-billion-19

of the 20 actors on this list only 3 really have bank big time movies on their own star power, and one can't do it anymore. Tom Cruise, Will Smith & Eddie Murphy. Eddie can't do it anymore. Will can kind of still do it, but not the way he could at his peak. Tom Cruise can do it overseas for some reason China still loves him. EDIT- I forgot Tom Hanks. I FORGOT TOM HANKS! Just money and the bank plus save career moves, not what he use to be, but no one is in Hollywood today because its more about the project than the individual (usually)

In todays world A-list doesn't mean what it use too. RDJ is a beloved A-List actor. Ironman and Sherlocke Holmes do great but Due Date, Tropic Thunder and any other off shoots not so much.

Look at the rest of the list. You can all link them to a number of popular franchises or just a ton of movies

20. Bruce Willis- use to be relatively box office after Die Hard but the past years have not been too kind

18. Emma Watson- Harry Potter, Beauty and the Beast and a good agent thats it

17. Robert DeNiro- he use to be somewhat box-office but he usually picks good movies and franchises and as one of the older actors on this list with A- List status he's coming from a slightly different era. Collaborating with Martin Scorsese on 10 films since the 70s hasn't hurt either. I think Dicaprio has taken notes given his career choices.

16. Robin Williams- bankable and just worked a lot. Plus he came in at the end of the 70s and 80s and "played" the comic scene

15. Michael Caine- dude has been doing movies since the 50s. The 50s! Plus Nolan loves him and all his box office films boost him up. I can't remember the last Nolan movie he wasn't in.

14. Gary Oldman- Harry Potter, Nolan just works a lot makes good career choices. Good actor.

13. Andy Serkis- just big blockbuster pictures that have all done well. LOTR, Planet of the Apes, Star Wars, Black Panther I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two

12. Johnny Depp- he's a good actor who has collaborated with Tim Burton and had many memorable rolls and projects, but he's number 12 for Pirates of the Caribbean. I loved the first one, but don't ask me how the other ones have continued to print money like flapjacks.

11. Ian McKellan — great actor, but LOTR and X-men a long with a few others

10. Scarlett Johansson — I'd argue ScarJo is pretty bankable now and Avengers have helped with that. To be fair she was A- List before Marvel, but people wanted to cast her as love interests or in Indy Oscar's or as that overtly sexual character. Now she is just as big time as you can be. She isn't guaranteed box office because no one is anymore, but I think the success of Lucy backs up her case.

9. Stanley Tucci — tons of supporting roles and has been a apart of numerous big name franchises. Transformers, Captain America, Hunger Games etc. etc. etc.

6. Anthony Daniels — Star Wars, thats it

5. Robert Downey, Jr. — great actor, but he's here because of Marvel and how that has just reinvented his stardom leading to Sherlocke Holmes and other roles

4. Morgan Freeman - dude just works a lot, since the 60s I think. Ironically outside of the Nolan Batfilms, he does not have big blockbuster franchises ballooning his U.S box office totals but a number of critically acclaimed films plus the voice work he's doing the last few years has been very successful.

3. Tom Hanks — Oooops I forgot Tom Hanks. Time to go back and edit the list. This dude has definitely been banking off his own star power, besides making good career decisions after becoming A-List. Jeez how could I forget Tom Hanks.

2. Harrison Ford — Star Wars, Indiana Jones and just a number of big movies throughout his career. I guess he kind of fits the bankable movie group, but I think its debatable because look at the films he was apart of. He's not carrying terrible films to big box office success.

1. Samuel L. Jackson- dude works a lot and I mean a lot. He has a splattering of highly successful films and franchises, plus he just works non-stop.

Names that are left of this top 20 domestic list that may surprise Meryl Streep, Jennifer Lawrence & The Rock. Streep doesn't really do big blockbuster films, she takes on roles that are normally going to get nominated for awards. Jennifer Lawrence has Hunger Games and 3 X-men films, but thats not enough to unseat any of the others. Emma Watson has like 9+ Harry Potter films and Beauty and the Beast which did ridiculously well for a remake (Disney just printing money). If the Rock keeps this pace up he'll be on this list soon, especially with Fast & the Furious helping him out, but his Studios/Distributors need to do a better job of avoiding Marvel movie release windows.
    The J-man

Tom Cruise also isn't a name that sells tickets alone anymore, as the failure of The Mummy attests.

Eisner nominations are out today. World of Wakanda got a nomination for best limited series, and Brian Stelfreeze got one for best cover artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Tom Cruise also isn't a name that sells tickets alone anymore, as the failure of The Mummy attests.

Eisner nominations are out today. World of Wakanda got a nomination for best limited series, and Brian Stelfreeze got one for best cover artist.
    They're both probably long shots, but even just being nominated is kinda cool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    That was awesome but at the same time I'm conflicted

8.5-9/10.

It didn't hit me that hard but damn this is a lot to process.
    As for a team film Civil war was much better then this.

Eisner nominations are out today. World of Wakanda got a nomination for best limited series

Well, what little Eisner's meant to me is all gone now.

And I guess limited series is code for, "ongoings that got cancelled" lol.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I just want Proxima Midnight spoilers nothing else
    spoilers:
    she was killed by Wanda
    end of spoilers

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Well, what little Eisner's meant to me is all gone now.

And I guess limited series is code for, "ongoings that got cancelled" lol.
    I mean, even from just a comic standpoint, it was bad. Really really bad. However, because it's a story about a LGBT couple abd writer, people ignore the bad art, story telling, and contrived plot and rave it up like it was the best thing ever

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    I mean, even from just a comic standpoint, it was bad. Really really bad. However, because it's a story about a LGBT couple abd writer, people ignore the bad art, story telling, and contrived plot and rave it up like it was the best thing ever
    Different strokes for different folks.

Citizen Kane is arguably considered the greatest movie of all time, but I fell asleep the first time I watched it. Thing about art is that "good" and "bad" are ultimately very subjective. Though I'm sure the Eisner people have a certain set of criteria to go buy, at a certain point it does fall into a matter of persona taste.

Quote Originally Posted by goku200 View Post
    As for a team film Civil war was much better then this.
    Hmmm. I don't know.

For the fact that I kept my expectations on a moderate level and all the spoiler elements were putting me off, I had a blast with it despite some issues I found mind boggling (i.e the BP stuff). Maybe its due to me just being more forgiven.

Civil War might be a better team movie than IW, but IW definitely has the best villain in the MCU hands down.

Seeing IW in a few hours. #WakandaForever.

However, because it's a story about a LGBT couple abd writer, people ignore the bad art, story telling, and contrived plot and rave it up like it was the best thing ever[/B]
    That's a can of worms right there.

IW ended up third in pre sale tickets behind both Star Wars movies btw
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 04-26-2018 at 12:07 PM.

China saved the Mummy. Domestically it bombed hard but in recent typical fashion for Tom he does well overseas. Don’t ask me how or why. A few years ago they were trying to give the MI franchise to Renner but somehow Tom rebounded. Renner also somehow got shut out of the Bourne franchise.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Renner also somehow got shut out of the Bourne franchise.
    Because the movie was boring as shit lol.

Bourne without Bourne just didn't work.

But that brings up another "A lister." Yet does a big budget movie involving monsters, a giant wall, and asian choreography and it bombed.

"A listers" only seem to matter to old people. My grandma will still see movies if Tom Hanks is in it. Not a coincidence she also only saw Black Panther because of Chadwick, who she liked in 42 and that music one lol

Can't be better said..