Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I really wonder when the last time someone challenged the King in the MCU.

Those other tribes wanted no part of T'challa. Dudes got all dressed up for the occasion and went "nope."
    Which makes me wonder how the other tribes feel about the Golden Tribe basically monopolizing rule in the kingdom. Do you think some people in the Merchant Tribe ever imagine a day that instead of the Black Panther, Wakanda is protected by the Black Crocodile lol. It'd be an interesting topic to explore, that aside from the Black Panther, there are other "champions" of Wakanda's gods. Besides the White Gorilla Cult of course.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Very right! That is the thing leaving such a bad taste in my mouth about Coates run. When you have to force fit, complete left field narratives like rape camps to justify that Wakandan monarchy is so flawed you practically inferred this all leads back to T'challa. My point is there are so many better ways to write commentary on monarchy rule without gutterballin' our guy.
    I agree but you guys need to let go of that one page of "rape camps!'" that was like in the second issue of the first book and never mentioned again for all your eternal critiques about Coates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Xpac

I gotta say I agree with only about 20% of the things you've posted in this tread over the last 7-8 years and you are my Favorite poster here lol You have always been the least agreed with poster here but you stayed posting your opinions and thoughts since near the beginning of this mega panther thread!

Props to you man!
    Thanks, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Which makes me wonder how the other tribes feel about the Golden Tribe basically monopolizing rule in the kingdom. Do you think some people in the Merchant Tribe ever imagine a day that instead of the Black Panther, Wakanda is protected by the Black Crocodile lol. It'd be an interesting topic to explore, that aside from the Black Panther, there are other "champions" of Wakanda's gods. Besides the White Gorilla Cult of course.
    It's really suprising that other gods and other avatars have played such a minor role in the mythos. The lion god poped up once in Avengers (and Hercules I think), and of course there's M'Baku (though his god has yet to appear to my recollection). But generally speaking a very obvious source for fresh rogues has often been ignored. Hopefully that will change down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Morph View Post
    I didn't know the trail by combat aspect of Wakandan tradition would draw such criticism. Ive been seeing come up quite a bit during online discussions of the film.
    People are annoyed that Wakanda is meant to be isolationist, has an aristocracy...

"Why do they do this? Why do they do that?"

Just casual fans of the MCU being stupid.

I must have been the only one that had no problem with the guidelines to ritual combat.
    Last edited by N'Jadaka; 05-17-2018 at 05:06 PM.

Apparently Chadwick talkes about the salute on Late Night with Colbert.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I've always thought about this. You raise some very good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    So we’re blaming Shuri for Thanos attacking Wakanda three times, despite her not being told why he’s attacking Wakanda?

Or blaming her for Namor grossly overreacting about Transonic being in Wakanda (turns out he wanted to flood Wakanda anyway)?

Or blaming her for Doom plotting to depose the Wakandan royal family during T’Challa’s reign?

T’Challa may be the better ruler, but Shuri did what she could with the intel given to her. Especially during the Hickman run.

Shuri proved to be the more pragmatic ruler during her reign. Point blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    You were essentially pointing out things that she basically had no control over in the comics. How, for example, was she supposed to know Thanos was going to attack one time, let alone three times? She didn’t even know the Infinity gems were in Wakanda at that time.

As for people implicating things or speculating...with much respect Dboi, that’s part of the game at this point. The BP franchise is now mainstream. People will speculate whether we like it or not.

On top of that, there’s the current reality: at the moment, T’Challa is gone and Wakanda needs a leader for the time being. MCU fans remembered Shuri is the princess and wiki’d her. What happens? They find out she was a BP/ruler in the comics and now openly suggest it.

That doesn’t mean it will happen nor does it mean it will be permanent. At best she or someone else will be the temp leader until T’Challa comes back in Avengers 4. And rest assured, he WILL come back in Avengers 4 and WILL be in charge in BP 2. T’Challa is too much of a money maker for that not to happen.

I too prefer Shuri to go through an MCU-appropriate version of the Griot path, but who knows? Might happen, might not.
    Sums up my thoughts.

Shuri does catch blame for two things:

Attacking atlantis. She didnt have to. Namor sent the BO tbere due to wakanda obliterating tgem. Tchalla told her not too.. but at tge same time admitted to namor he would have ignored him too.

And giving up and killing herself at the end
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 05-17-2018 at 05:37 PM.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Shuri does catch blame for two things:

Attacking atlantis. She didnt have to. Namor sent the BO tbere due to wakanda obliterating tgem. Tchalla told her not too.. but at tge same time admitted to namor he would have ignored him too.

And giving up and killing herself at the end
    Shuri giving up and essentially committing suicide (and T'Challa letting her for that matter) was such a black eye on an otherwise terrific portrayal of Shuri. Hickman did such a great job with her up to that point... it's a real shame she went out the way she did.

But if there were any doubts that T'Challa shouldn't retake the throne, that pretty much erased them (or at least they did for me). He stepped up while she stepped off. But still, a horrible portrayal of both in that scene.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Shuri giving up and essentially committing suicide (and T'Challa letting her for that matter) was such a black eye on an otherwise terrific portrayal of Shuri. Hickman did such a great job with her up to that point... it's a real shame she went out the way she did.

But if there were any doubts that T'Challa shouldn't retake the throne, that pretty much erased them (or at least they did for me). He stepped up while she stepped off. But still, a horrible portrayal of both in that scene.
    Uh, Shuri sacrificing herself for her brother was a way for the writers to hand T'challa back the mantle of king. And in a very meaningful way.

It's not some shot at of character.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

I didn't read that scene as just suicide. Shuri didn't want to flee a fight that her people lost. She was the queen and she really couldn't and shouldn't have left while the people under her rule died. So she stayed and fought like she was supposed to (yes, knowing it would be an uphil fight) and that is what I find entertaining and interesting about Shuri. She is much more fierce than T'challa. He sees things on the grand scale which is nice but there is also something nice about shuri not having that same thought process.

back to the movie point. That Shuri didn't have to be a 16 year old genius responsible for the advancements of Wakandan (and really think about how stupid that is being that age...was she the smartest wakanda had at age 6? 9? 11?..and if so then Wakanda has only been that advanced for how long?)

anyway.....Shuri's ferocity and loyalty would have been plenty.
    Last edited by Ekie; 05-17-2018 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N'Jadaka View Post
    Uh, Shuri sacrificing herself for her brother was a way for the writers to hand T'challa back the mantle of king. And in a very meaningful way.

I've been of the opinion that Hickman or Coates should have shown Shuri beating the breaks off of Proxima. Then Maximus had to sneak up to hit her with "The Living Death"

Quote Originally Posted by N'Jadaka View Post

There was no reason to sacrifice herself for her brother. T'Challa gained nothing from her death, because he clearly escaped before Proxima got to them. She could have just as easily teleported away too.

I get it was a way for him to get the mantle back... I just don't agree Shuri essentially killing herself to do it (or T'Challa allowing it to happen) did anyone any favors.