Page 498 of 5186 FirstFirst ... 3984484884944954964974984995005015025085485989981498 ... LastLast
Results 7,456 to 7,470 of 77781

So...

I finally read Doomwar.

What was that ending? "Oh hey, I won't kill you because we don't want to start an illegal war?" You're already in a war! Argh! No wonder everyone seems to hate that story. I actually enjoyed it up until the ending, which made it all the worse.

BANNED

Why would u read that. Its like our Voldemort, never say it by name.

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    So...

I finally read Doomwar.

What was that ending? "Oh hey, I won't kill you because we don't want to start an illegal war?" You're already in a war! Argh! No wonder everyone seems to hate that story. I actually enjoyed it up until the ending, which made it all the worse.
    Well, I think the actual reason was that Doom was literally being used in like 3-4 other stories at the exact same time as Doom War, so obviously he couldn't be killed or anything. It's another case where Dooms nature of the character sort of gave the writer somewhat of an out.

Really, it makes a strong case for using one's own characters/rogues rather than borrowing them from a different franchise. The BP book is free and clear to kill Kill Monger, for example (though I don't entirely agree with that either). If it had been one of T'Challa's own rogues rather than borrowing an FF one, there's a bit more freedom in that sort of thing.

robreedwrites if you hurry to Dumbledore's office ASAP you can have that memory yanked out of your consciousness and spare yourself the loss of numerous dead brain cells...

https://youtu.be/5RHvkHZSavg

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Though I thought the ending was anti-climatic (and sadly I can say that about 90% of the marvel events in the last decade), I actually enjoyed Doom War for the most part. It had it's flaws, but overall I thought it was well written. And the art was strong too. It wasn't Annihilation level good... but it puts a lot of the bigger summer events marvel has put out to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Lol. I figured I had to read it at least once. It's what Marvel Unlimited is for.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Well, I think the actual reason was that Doom was literally being used in like 3-4 other stories at the exact same time as Doom War, so obviously he couldn't be killed or anything. It's another case where Dooms nature of the character sort of gave the writer somewhat of an out.

Really, it makes a strong case for using one's own characters/rogues rather than borrowing them from a different franchise. The BP book is free and clear to kill Kill Monger, for example (though I don't entirely agree with that either). If it had been one of T'Challa's own rogues rather than borrowing an FF one, there's a bit more freedom in that sort of thing.
    I think it would have worked extremely well for a Killmonger story. In fact, the more I think about it, it seemed to borrow elements (like Deadpool) from the first half of Priest's run, which is basically a Black Panther vs. Killmonger mega-arc. I think that's why I view Killmonger as T'Challa's arch-foe. So much of Priest's run is devoted to their conflict, and then of course there's the stellar Panther's Rage by McGregor. For all his bluster and early impact, Klaw hasn't had as many good stories within the Black Panther mythos, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    robreedwrites if you hurry to Dumbledore's office ASAP you can have that memory yanked out of your consciousness and spare yourself the loss of numerous dead brain cells...

https://youtu.be/5RHvkHZSavg
    Oh, don't worry, I've wiped my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I like this. I really like the woven look that the MCU concept art has.

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    Lol. I figured I had to read it at least once. It's what Marvel Unlimited is for.

I think it would have worked extremely well for a Killmonger story. In fact, the more I think about it, it seemed to borrow elements (like Deadpool) from the first half of Priest's run, which is basically a Black Panther vs. Killmonger mega-arc. I think that's why I view Killmonger as T'Challa's arch-foe. So much of Priest's run is devoted to their conflict, and then of course there's the stellar Panther's Rage by McGregor. For all his bluster and early impact, Klaw hasn't had as many good stories within the Black Panther mythos, imo.

Oh, don't worry, I've wiped my memory.
    Really some sort of Kill Monger event should have taken place between Priests and Hudlin's run, as Kill Monger sort of lost Wakanda off panel somewhere in between. There's a story that should have existed between those two runs.

I do understand wanting to use Doom, because when he's involved things just seem BIGGER. So I don't entirely fault Hudlin or Maeberry for wanting to use him. And T'Challa and Doom do match up well against each other. But when it comes down to it, using Doom can sort of handcuff you. Again, especially if he's being used in 3 or 4 other stories exactly at that moment. And I think that hurt the Doom War story a bit (though for the record I'd still argue it was pretty good).

I do wish they did more with Kill Monger before killing him off. I sort of liked him. He was weirdly kind of an underdog villain that somehow someway managed to keep getting the better of T'Challa. That fact alone I think deserved a bigger finale story between them than we actually got.

Really some sort of Kill Monger event should have taken place between Priests and Hudlin's run, as Kill Monger sort of lost Wakanda off panel somewhere in between. There's a story that should have existed between those two runs.

I do understand wanting to use Doom, because when he's involved things just seem BIGGER. So I don't entirely fault Hudlin or Maeberry for wanting to use him. And T'Challa and Doom do match up well against each other. But when it comes down to it, using Doom can sort of handcuff you. Again, especially if he's being used in 3 or 4 other stories exactly at that moment. And I think that hurt the Doom War story a bit (though for the record I'd still argue it was pretty good).

I do wish they did more with Kill Monger before killing him off. I sort of liked him. He was weirdly kind of an underdog villain that somehow someway managed to keep getting the better of T'Challa. That fact alone I think deserved a bigger finale story between them than we actually got.
    It isn't the first time he's been killed. He can come back. But yes, I agree. He deserves a big story. Hell, get T'Challa back onto the main Avengers team and I think you could work an event around Killmonger.

You can't really top the first story with Killmonger.
    We need better comics

Though I thought the ending was anti-climatic (and sadly I can say that about 90% of the marvel events in the last decade), I actually enjoyed Doom War for the most part. It had it's flaws, but overall I thought it was well written. And the art was strong too. It wasn't Annihilation level good... but it puts a lot of the bigger summer events marvel has put out to shame.
    It wasn't just anti-climatic, it was just simply dumb

And it was more than just the ending... Doom getting past the panther god, the other heroes offering no assistance to T'challa and almost practically blaming him, and then the ending was just the icing on the shittastic cake.

There was a good story hidden in there... it just wasn't the story presented to us. If you are going to use a story where a warrior nation is attacked, the most precious resource is taken from them... then you have to have the villain destroyed. Not given a stern talking to.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I agree. I think the ending could have been better but I still enjoyed the story overall. I also think the art was great too and provided for some great panels.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

And it was more than just the ending... Doom getting past the panther god, the other heroes offering no assistance to T'challa and almost practically blaming him, and then the ending was just the icing on the shittastic cake.

There was a good story hidden in there... it just wasn't the story presented to us. If you are going to use a story where a warrior nation is attacked, the most precious resource is taken from them... then you have to have the villain destroyed. Not given a stern talking to.
    The problem being Doom really couldn't be destroyed in that story. Again, he was being used in like 3-5 other stories at the same time and was needed elsewhere. And even if he wasn't obviously marvel wasn't going to kill off Doom. Just like they weren't going to kill off Namor. He's are good viable character... of course they were going to continue to be used.

Again, it's the downside of using other characters in contexts like this. The BP story can't do whatever the heck it wants. It needs to share the toys in the sandbox with everyone else. The alternative would have been to use a lesser character or one of BP's own rogues that no one else is using anyways, like Kill Monger or White Wolf. No one cares. Course, that's also the downside... no one cares. Using a character like Doom makes the story feel bigger and more epic. The very reason the character can't be killed in the reason a lot of writers want to use him in the story... as far as villains go, Doom is the man.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Marvel's premere arch villain isn't gonna die in the service of story about a character that is less popular than he is.

Even if he did die, it would have been retcon'd before the ink had even dried on it.

Ant Man got a decisive victory over Doom.

And that isn't referenced at all. If anything it's now the position that Ant Man's indebted to Doom for saving his kid.

It won't ever be mentioned again either.

And if the current New Avengers storyline involves Doom getting the better of Thanos in any major way, watch for Starlin to retcon THAT first chance he gets.

Niffleheim

i'm getting the same vibes now that i'm reading New Avengers #25 that Doom is going to eat up the whole damn story lol! I hope i'm wrong and i'm just paranoid. Whenever i see Doom in a story arc of any of my favorite books i know things will be going to the toilet. The story will immediately be written to fit/service him. I dont even fear the character i find him ridiculous but i fear the service he gets from writers..
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough