Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I tried his series. The first book is really good the third was okay, but I didn't like the rest. I think I stopped after the fourth or fifth.
    There are a certain amount of diminishing returns with his work. But that is true of many great sci-fi writers. Especially when a standalone book turns into a series. But The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was one of the first two science fiction novels I ever owned, so I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Honestly I think Coates is trying to snag a few lesser used rogues from other characters galleries to buff up T'Challas.

To be blunt, aside from Klaw I think BP'S rogues are a bit on the under powered side. So snagging a few Iron Man and X-men rogues who aren't being used can potentially help with that.
    I could see that.... if they were being used to make T'Challa look better. But having Storm defeat the Adversary (and Stane basically getting away scot free) doesn't do a damn thing to give T'Challa a push.

Ultimate Member

Honestly I think Coates is trying to snag a few lesser used rogues from other characters galleries to buff up T'Challas.

To be blunt, aside from Klaw I think BP'S rogues are a bit on the under powered side. So snagging a few Iron Man and X-men rogues who aren't being used can potentially help with that.
    Except not, as most don't work as an effective foil (Adversary) or are too high profile to stay in T'Challa's rogues gallery (Stane and the Strucker twins).

So Coates didn't really develop T'Challa's rogues so much as he kicked the can down the road.

And God damn, it ain't that hard to make rogues for T'Challa. He has a well defined character archtype, and if one wants to touch on socio political issues, all of freakin' Africa to use/explore/examine. Unlike say Spider-Man, a Panther writer doesn't have to worry about disrupting the status qou of every other hero in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Except not, as most don't work as an effective foil (Adversary) or are too high profile to stay in T'Challa's rogues gallery (Stane and the Strucker twins).

So Coates didn't really develop T'Challa's rogues so much as he kicked the can down the road.

And God damn, it ain't that hard to make rogues for T'Challa. He has a well defined character archtype, and if one wants to touch on socio political issues, all of freakin' Africa to use/explore/examine. Unlike say Spider-Man, a Panther writer doesn't have to worry about disrupting the status qou of every other hero in New York.
    It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I hope he's able to keep Stane as a rogue. Iron Man arguably doesn't need him.

And Coates did make new rogues for T'Calla with Tetu and Zenzi, in addition to giving Klaw probably his best showing in years. So Coates is doing a little bit of everything.

It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I hope he's able to keep Stane as a rogue. Iron Man arguably doesn't need him.

And Coates did make new rogues for T'Calla with Tetu and Zenzi, in addition to giving Klaw probably his best showing in years. So Coates is doing a little bit of everything.
    Perhaps, but in my opinion (based on quite literally 40 years of reading comics), he's not doing it very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    Perhaps, but in my opinion (based on quite literally 40 years of reading comics), he's not doing it very well.
    There’s room for improvement certainly as fAR as execution goes. Nonetheless, I genuinely believe BP'S rogues gallery will be better off when Coates leaves the book than it was before he started writing it.

There’s room for improvement certainly as fAR as execution goes. Nonetheless, I genuinely believe BP'S rogues gallery will be better off when Coates leaves the book than it was before he started writing it.
    Perhaps. But will T'Challa be better off?

Unfortunately, they keep forgetting that every "hopping on" point is also a "hopping off" point.

And history as shown that, with the exception of a small handful of cases, relaunches tend to LOSE readers in the long run.
    It would help if maybe, just maybe, the whole draw of a character is what they focused on. Let me tell you, Coates misogynist, inept King, forced agenda and back of the bus BP is NOT what people are drawn to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    It would help if maybe, just maybe, the whole draw of a character is what they focused on. Let me tell you, Coates misogynist, inept King, forced agenda and back of the bus BP is NOT what people are drawn to.
    I'm regularly amazed by writers (and filmmakers) who simply don't understand why their "psychological" and "literary" takes on superheroes don't sell.

They simply don't understand that most folks LIKE a little escapism, now and again. It's FUN.

They aren't looking for Yet Another Explanation of "what makes heroes tick". They are looking for heroes being heroes!

Perhaps. But will T'Challa be better off?
    Truthfully I expect T'Challa to be in a better position 2-3 years from now (when I expect Coates off the book) than he is now regardless of what happens in the book.

Truthfully I expect T'Challa to be in a better position 2-3 years from now (when I expect Coates off the book) than he is now regardless of what happens in the book.
    Well, in terms of pop culture, sure. In terms of his actual title? Maybe, maybe not.

Do you mean the Aaron Secret Invasion arc, or the storyline with Storm & Panther on a planet of Skrulls?
    the one where t'challa went to the planet with the gold frogs/toads.
    so aaron's stories are in the hudlin tpb??

5000 pages btw, yeah! good job ya'll!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Dad View Post
    the one where t'challa went to the planet with the gold frogs/toads.
    so aaron's stories are in the hudlin tpb??

5000 pages btw, yeah! good job ya'll!
    Not exactly. I think they are in a separate trade. It's only one arc, after all.

How are you reading the issues?

ETA: 75000 posts!

The Aaron issues are in the third Hudlin omnibus, but in their own trade otherwise.

since E3 just went down I think its time to brainstorm about that Black Panther video game we are never going to get.

I don't know if it will be open World, but I think it should be partially open with some huge environments.

I think it should take place on 3 to 5 big maps. Not Wakanda ironically. There will be some levels in Wakanda but as far as the open world elements I think it should take place in New York, maybe Zambia, and then a third locale maybe a Kree or Skrull ship. I want Wakanda to be relatively peaceful in the first game. There can be some crisis Black Panther has to deal with and maybe a final confrontation of the main storyline in Wakanda.....but I don't want to see Wakanda besieged or in shambles. It should still be Wakanda in all its majesty. If Marvel wants to AvX it or have it invaded save that for the second or third game.

King Solomon's Frogs are absolutely in the game.

Black Panther habit should be fully customizable. You can pick form any of his comic, animated and live action looks. The Dora Milaje appearance and armor is also customizable. I think T'Challa should should be accompanied by two guards and maybe solo on higher difficulties. Shuri should also be playable.

I vote Nakia over Storm for synergy sake.

Also we need vehicles. Upgradeable weapons.

We need to be able to stealth most of the game if we choose too. Enhances senses and vision is also a must.

Rhinos are obviously in the game.

Going with a Klaw & Killmonger villain plot makes a lot of sense, but I'd prefer the game to do something fresh. We already have a BP movie. Maybe bring in Kang or the Skrulls and really just go crazy with the story.

Lastly, we need a secondary mode. A Danger Room or challenges section, where fans can reenact the most iconic BP moments.
    -a Fantastic Four scenario
    -Killmonger scenario
    -Doctor Doom scenario
    -Klaw scenario
    -KKK scenario
    -Namor scenario
    -Skrulls scenario
    -Mephisto scenario (this is a must, but shouldn't play out like a generic boss fight it should be a little more intricate almost like a DLC level)
    The J-man