Page 5090 of 5186 FirstFirst ... 4090459049905040508050865087508850895090509150925093509451005140 ... LastLast
Results 76,336 to 76,350 of 77781

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Digital sales and trades are the way of the future. I think something marvel should try is trades, sell complete stories with creative teams and try to get trades out once every few months. So you may get 3-4 trades with a specific team every year, but your getting complete stories, something casuals can get into because they aren't trying to coordinate with the monthly grind
    Which is pretty much the way the rest of the world does it, I note, at least w.r.t. manga and bandes dessine. But that would pretty much kill the direct market.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Rise was on the stands when the movie came out. Had it been put out first, it would have finished before the movie came out. I think having it out when the movie came out is exactly why it didn't come out first.

People in the bookstores already have Priest and Hudlin trades so they were covered.
    Except those are single purchases of old storylines. If you want to actually build an audience, you need to get people interested in your CURRENT product.

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    Which is pretty much the way the rest of the world does it, I note, at least w.r.t. manga and bandes dessine. But that would pretty much kill the direct market.

Except those are single purchases of old storylines. If you want to actually build an audience, you need to get people interested in your CURRENT product.
    I believe they had Coates season one trades and World of Wakanda out for those interested in the current product as well. They had their bases covered.

I believe they had Coates season one trades and World of Wakanda out for those interested in the current product as well. They had their bases covered.
    No they didn't because Coates and gays stories are not new reader friendly, and rise was a year one, bring new reader's up to speed. Marvel failed to get the trade out to coincide with the movie, and again, had Rise came first, ot could of potentially been a second ongoing

Plus, you have the whole dichotomy of characterization.

"Wait, Shuri is dead? And the Dora Milaje are in prison? Where are Nakia & Okoye?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    No they didn't because Coates and gays stories are not new reader friendly, and rise was a year one, bring new reader's up to speed. Marvel failed to get the trade out to coincide with the movie, and again, had Rise came first, ot could of potentially been a second ongoing
    If they needed entry books, they could use Hudlins book (as good as Priests book is, I'm not sure I'd consider that new reader friendly either). For new readers, I frankly think Hudlin first book might actually be a better introduction than Rise to be honest.

Point being there were already trades in the bookstore. They just needed something on the comic book stands. And Rise being a Year One story in theory made sense.

"Wait, Shuri is dead? And the Dora Milaje are in prison? Where are Nakia & Okoye?"
    That's unavoidable, since movies don't strictly follow the source material. You can't force the movies to be exact translations to the comics, nor can you alter the comics entirely to sync up with the movies. Ideally, movies should at least capture the spirit of the source material... but the fine details are going to be different. That's pretty much how things have to be.

That's unavoidable, since movies don't strictly follow the source material. You can't force the movies to be exact translations to the comics, nor can you alter the comics entirely to sync up with the movies. Ideally, movies should at least capture the spirit of the source material... but the fine details are going to be different. That's pretty much how things have to be.
    Which is where the OTHER problem with the Coates run comes into play: Iin his zeal to address real-world inequality, he utterly degrades "the spirit of the source material".

"why is wakanda a dysfunctional mess?"

"the king is bad?"

"rape camps?"
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    "why is wakanda a dysfunctional mess?"

"the king is bad?"

"rape camps?"
    That's the differences between doing the movies (or at least the first movie) and the comics. Continuity.

For the first movie, they have a relative blank slate (aside from factoring into what BP material we got in Civil War). But the comics today are built off of what came before. ANd obviously it's not just an issue with Black Panther... it's with any comic book character. Most jarring example might have been Captain America. He goes from fighting Hydra in the movies to working for Hydra in the comics. I think even CHris Evans gave a sort of WTF in social media with the HydraCap reveal back in the day.

But movies and comics sort of need to do their own thing. You can sort of have continuity lite side books or mini's to ease new readers in, but the main on-going books have their own stories to tell which don't always reflect whats happening in the movies.

We need better comics

Funny, I can't think of ONE person who has complained that the Coates run is too tied into previous continuity.

Quite the opposite, in fact. Twice now, he's launched the book while utterly ignoring what has happened before, and yet STILL manages to fail to incorporate any movie elements that might attract a casual reader.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Way to capitalize on movie buzz... several months after people have stopped caring.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    oooh that looks like that should be fun.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Funny, I can't think of ONE person who has complained that the Coates run is too tied into previous continuity.

Quite the opposite, in fact. Twice now, he's launched the book while utterly ignoring what has happened before, and yet STILL manages to fail to incorporate any movie elements that might attract a casual reader.
    I don't agree that Coates book launched utterly ignoring what came before. The entire narrative was build around what happened during Hickmans run. You can argue he ignored the very end of Secret Wars... but he didn't know that ending at the time, and frankly didn't even need to since the whole MU basically ignored it.

As far as incorporating movie elements... he's not really trying to do that, nor should he. But you can maybe say the usage of Klaw and the appearance of Okoye were movie related. A version of M'Baku and Nakia are being highlighted in the current run, so that might be a nod to the movies as well. But no, for the most part the movies and comics are doing their own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    oooh that looks like that should be fun.
    Yeah, BP is a perfect character to play off a character like Wade. You always want a straight man with Deadpool if you can. It's part of the reason why I think Spider-Man/Deadpool cross overs aren't quite as fun as they might look on paper. They sort of step on each others roles. Wade and T'CHalla should be able to play off each other perfectly.