Page 5141 of 5186 FirstFirst ... 414146415041509151315137513851395140514151425143514451455151 ... LastLast
Results 77,101 to 77,115 of 77781
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Do you think we will get a bunch of, "omg how can advanced society have fights for the crown?" Like we did with black panther?

I highly doubt it
    that **** annoyed me so much. While, our advanced system gave us Trump.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If they're not going the Malice route, I'm thinking Lupita should have been Monica Lynn. Not necessarily the version we saw in comics... but they can just say Monica Lynn is her undercover identity when she's acting overseas.

Course, the movie version is nothing like the comic version of Monica... but it's not like she's anything like the comic version of Nakia either.
    you think.they will take nakia down the malice route?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Incredible Member

If they're not going the Malice route, I'm thinking Lupita should have been Monica Lynn. Not necessarily the version we saw in comics... but they can just say Monica Lynn is her undercover identity when she's acting overseas.

Course, the movie version is nothing like the comic version of Monica... but it's not like she's anything like the comic version of Nakia either.
    yeah but she was exactly like malaika, except or the Peggy Bundy hair of course. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    you think.they will take nakia down the malice route?
    Not necessarily, but it's possible.

They gave her the name of a super villain. That doesn't obligate them to turn her into a super villain, but they have to know some people familiar with the source material will expect that to happen. It's like watching a SpiderMan movie and seeing a Norman Osborn show up. You sort of guess how that turns out.

So either they have a long term plan to turn her into Malice, or they just randomly picked a name out of the mythos to give to the character without giving any thought whatsoever to it. I wouldn't be shocked either way. And honestly I'm fine with it either way. I'm against T'CHalla being with Nakia in comics for obvious reasons... but those reasons don't apply to the movie version whatsoever.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

They gave her the name of a super villain. That doesn't obligate them to turn her into a super villain, but they have to know some people familiar with the source material will expect that to happen. It's like watching a SpiderMan movie and seeing a Norman Osborn show up. You sort of guess how that turns out.

So either they have a long term plan to turn her into Malice, or they just randomly picked a name out of the mythos to give to the character without giving any thought whatsoever to it. I wouldn't be shocked either way. And honestly I'm fine with it either way. I'm against T'CHalla being with Nakia in comics for obvious reasons... but those reasons don't apply to the movie version whatsoever.
    I see. your points make sense. I'm very sure the creative team behind bp knew exactly who nakia was to him in the comics; however, the writer for the current wakamda forever mini made it clear that the Nakia in her book was not the one people are familiar with in the movie. so as you mentioned it could go either way.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Ultimate Member

I doubt that they're gonna make MU Nakia a villain. She has none of the setup Nakia had in the comics.

Look at Ghost. She's a departure from canon in every way except powers (and the movie was better for it). I think the TV/movie people are using canon as a compass more than anything else.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    that **** annoyed me so much. While, our advanced system gave us Trump.
    In fairness, it was the electoral college that gave us Trump, even though Hillary won the majority of votes.

And it's not that advanced, as we've been using it...since the founding of our country *cough*

...maybe we oughta update?

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    WORLD OF WAKANDA won the Eisner for "Best Limited Series" *sigh*
    Thisbis the perfect example of how ones name/ celebrity status >>> actual substance and Story telling prowess. Her series literally played out like a poorly done teen drama, with Ayo initially behaving i manner that, if a guy did that, women would of accused him of being misogynistic, and not taking no for an answer and being predatory, however, since it was two women, this was apparently engaging and well done relationship building.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    In fairness, it was the electoral college that gave us Trump, even though Hillary won the majority of votes.

And it's not that advanced, as we've been using it...since the founding of our country *cough*

...maybe we oughta update?
    I think getting an unpopular president in a lot of ways actually shows the benefits of our system. If you don't like Trump, you can attempt to vote him out in 4 years. And in 8 years, he's gone no matter what. In a lot of other systems of government, the leader you get is the leader you're stuck with unless someone can successfully pull off a coup. So if you don't like Trump, you don't need to plot to overthrow the government... you just need to remember to vote in November.

Course, in comics coups are a lot funner than elections, so we get those insteads.

I think getting an unpopular president in a lot of ways actually shows the benefits of our system. If you don't like Trump, you can attempt to vote him out in 4 years. And in 8 years, he's gone no matter what. In a lot of other systems of government, the leader you get is the leader you're stuck with unless someone can successfully pull off a coup. So if you don't like Trump, you don't need to plot to overthrow the government... you just need to remember to vote in November.

Course, in comics coups are a lot funner than elections, so we get those insteads.
    Actually alour system shows a huge flaw, in that, the people's vote means absolutely nothing. An entire state could of voted for Hilary, and the electoral college representatives dkr that state voted for Trump, therefore that state has voted for Trump. That's a huge flaw. And alot can happen in 4-8 years.

In terms of comics. Wakandas system would be better in the sense that, if you didn't like the leader, you wait a year, not 4, for a chance to see a new leader. And the system is also set up so that Best leader is left in charge

Maybe they should have him drink from the "Small hands shaped herb", then challenge him on top of the water fall. Killmonger might be a more effective leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Actually alour system shows a huge flaw, in that, the people's vote means absolutely nothing. An entire state could of voted for Hilary, and the electoral college representatives dkr that state voted for Trump, therefore that state has voted for Trump. That's a huge flaw. And alot can happen in 4-8 years.

In terms of comics. Wakandas system would be better in the sense that, if you didn't like the leader, you wait a year, not 4, for a chance to see a new leader. And the system is also set up so that Best leader is left in charge
    Yeah... in a year you get to fight a meta human, and if you're lucky enough to beat him are allowed to ingest a poisonous herb. I'd say the Wakandan system had some serious flaws too. The movie version at least was fair (not that fairness in that case necessarily led to a better result for Wakanda as we saw with Killmonger).

Yeah... in a year you get to fight a meta human, and if you're lucky enough to beat him are allowed to ingest a poisonous herb. I'd say the Wakandan system had some serious flaws too. The movie version at least was fair (not that fairness in that case necessarily led to a better result for Wakanda as we saw with Killmonger).
    Yeah and those who are worthy are able to overcome the leader. Again, the system in place ensures the best leader is chosen. And it also depends on which continuity your going on. Priest's yeah it was poisonous, but T'Challa still lost the leadership of the Panther cult.

Hudlin's version seems to be what its based off. In which they are judged by bast. Bot rigged system. Once your king, you only have a year long guaranteed term rather then 4.

And as for Erik, he was leader for a day before the challenge resumed and he was killed so the results still remained the same that the best leader is guaranteed

Even if you win, you have to climb a mountain without equipment and help to retrieve the herb. And answer historical questions from the tribal council. And fight six of Wakandas best fighters at once.

Winning a fight against a peak human is probably the easiest part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Yeah and those who are worthy are able to overcome the leader. Again, the system in place ensures the best leader is chosen. And it also depends on which continuity your going on. Priest's yeah it was poisonous, but T'Challa still lost the leadership of the Panther cult.

Hudlin's version seems to be what its based off. In which they are judged by bast. Bot rigged system. Once your king, you only have a year long guaranteed term rather then 4.

And as for Erik, he was leader for a day before the challenge resumed and he was killed so the results still remained the same that the best leader is guaranteed
    The only reason the best leader is guaranteed is because it's comic book fiction and the good guy always wins in the end (even though Killmongers track record against T'Challa is pretty darn good).

If you genuinely believe a fighting tournament is a reasonable means of choosing leadership, we can agree to disagree. If you genuinely can't see the flaws in such a system, nothing I say will convince you otherwise. But there's a reason that's not how it's done in the real world. It's fine in comics where the good guys always win in the end anyways... but in the real world it's a bit more complicated than just deciding who the best fighter is.