Page 5149 of 5186 FirstFirst ... 414946495049509951395145514651475148514951505151515251535159 ... LastLast
Results 77,221 to 77,235 of 77781
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    I gave up waiting for an explanation why slipping into savage anarchy is acceptable in Wakanda, but literally every other culture in Marvel that gets smashed in an Event™ recovers without random warlords carving up the countryside into their own little fiefdoms.
    Coates seems to think it made sense. (according to some)

I gave up waiting for an explanation why slipping into savage anarchy is acceptable in Wakanda, but literally every other culture in Marvel that gets smashed in an Event™ recovers without random warlords carving up the countryside into their own little fiefdoms.
    It's acceptable for any nation anytime that's the story a writer wants to tell. If a writer feels there's drama to milk, they will milk it. And if they want to just sweep it under the carpet and move on, we'll get that instead. From what I understand Latveria feel into anarchy after Secret Wars too... because it worked with the story Bendis wanted to tell. That's just how it is. It works if that's the direction they want to go. But if it's not, that's fine too because it's comics.

Ultimate Member

In general, unless it's Superman or Batman, supporting cast members rarely last past a given writer's run. Even A-list characters like Wonder Woman or Captain America tend to get their status quo ignored when it suits a new team.
    In Xpac's defense, he was saying about how things should be, not are

Tell you what... find me ONE SCAN of a canon Marvel culture that had something as bad as those treehouses after an invasion.

Atlantis, Attilan, Genosha, K'un L'un, Latveria, Madripoor... all have been crushed to rubble on more than one occasion, some of them recently even, but somehow none of them had widespread rape.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    In Xpac's defense, he was saying about how things should be, not are
    "It works if that's the direction they want to go. But if it's not, that's fine too because it's comics."

Tell you what... find me ONE SCAN of a canon Marvel culture that had something as bad as those treehouses after an invasion.

Atlantis, Attilan, Genosha, K'un L'un, Latveria, Madripoor... all have been crushed to rubble on more than one occasion, some of them recently even, but somehow none of them had widespread rape.
    Genosha was worse than that every day of the week. It was an entire society built on enslavement, rather than a small group of criminals taking advantage of a small group of women.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    My thoughts on the Dora

Add to the above, T'Challa looks more bad as by only needing two bodyguards who execute his will, not a damn army
    Even then. It's clear they aren't hos personal harem. I agree that making them an army turns then into redshirts. However z it also gives back new elite group. Realistically, the Dora order should be 18 total, k e woman from each tribe. With Okoye Being the face of the order. Same with the hatute zeraze. They should be less then 100 and have knee guy or group be the face to give us insight on the group. The movie showcased this very well how there can be more then two Dora's and work

"It works if that's the direction they want to go. But if it's not, that's fine too because it's comics."
    As far as supporting casts go... if it suits the narrative for the supporting cast not to be used, I think that's fine. I can buy Okoye not showing up in Hells Kitchen during LIss run, because it would make sense for her not to be there.

But Okoye not being in used at all in Hudlins run for example, I find a bit odd. He's using Doras… why not use Okoye? I won't say it's a HUGE deal that most fans will lose sleep over, but I think ignoring supporting cast for the sake of ignoring them can be hurtful to the franchise. I think you ideally want to build up at least a few Aunt May or Lois Lane or Commissioner Gordon level supporting cast members, and that obviously requires them to survive multliple writers runs. Shuri for example made the cut... Hudlin took great lengths to ensure it was almost impossible to ignore SHuri at least in the short term, and he made it work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's acceptable for any nation anytime that's the story a writer wants to tell. If a writer feels there's drama to milk, they will milk it. And if they want to just sweep it under the carpet and move on, we'll get that instead. From what I understand Latveria feel into anarchy after Secret Wars too... because it worked with the story Bendis wanted to tell. That's just how it is. It works if that's the direction they want to go. But if it's not, that's fine too because it's comics.
    Were there rape camps in Latveria too?

BANNED

Genosha was worse than that every day of the week. It was an entire society built on enslavement, rather than a small group of criminals taking advantage of a small group of women.
    How do you know it was a "small group of women."

As you're so fond of pointing out, there was wholesale chaos and rebellion across the length and breadth of Wakanda fomented by Tetsu, Zenzi, Stanes, The Fenris Twins, Dr Faustus, renegade Dora Milajes and a whole army of Choke Slam Gary's rocking that Boko Haram aesthetic.

Hardly what one would describe as being a "small group of criminals."

Where there any rape camps in Genosha?

Oakland...

1980's or so...

Prince N'jobo sist in his small apartment bucky naked on the bed waiting for that special happy ending.

N'jobo: "Woman, hurry up in there I'm ready!"

From behind the bathroom door...

Whatsherface: "Just a second I bought some new lingerie I want to show you my nubian prince be patient!"

Just then a flash of light and puffy smoke as a large tall purple people eating looking dude appears.

Thanos: "Are you Prince N'jobo"

N'jobo: "How did you..."

Thanos: "Never mind that... Here!"

Thanos hands Prince N'jobo a kinetic energy absorbing vibranium reinforced condom and using the time stone squeezes the infinity gauntlet and disappears.

Wakanda...

2000's or so...

King T'challa: "Did you take care of that thing for me?"

Thanos: "As per our agreement yes!"

King T'challa: "Good looking out!"

Princess Shuri: "Brother you are such a cheater!"

King T'challa: "Thanos wouldn't it be cool if I was an only child!"

Thanos: "You people are worse than the Skywalkers... I'm out!"

Poof!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Even then. It's clear they aren't hos personal harem. I agree that making them an army turns then into redshirts. However z it also gives back new elite group. Realistically, the Dora order should be 18 total, k e woman from each tribe. With Okoye Being the face of the order. Same with the hatute zeraze. They should be less then 100 and have knee guy or group be the face to give us insight on the group. The movie showcased this very well how there can be more then two Dora's and work
    Brother Ezyo, in truth, 2,4,8 or 100 Dora's there will always be some readers and writers who will deliberately choose to mischaracterize T'Challa's relationship with the Dora Milaje.

The actual on-panel facts don't matter in so far as they don't support the false narrative pushed by some.

Multiple scans of panels can be posted from now till infinity but some will continue to substitute assumptions and unsubstantiated ideas in direct contradiction of what's been published. (Pre-Coates.)

That comes with the territory.

Wholly realised Wakanda Program?

Not logical.

T'challa portrayed as a more than competent protagonist in his own solo book?

Forget that.

Stories that actually build upon what came before in a way that really builds up T'Challa as a character and Wakanda as a concept?

You must be joking.

Rape camps, women trafficking, out of nowhere chaos, corruption and stereotypical Third World violence portrayed as being rampant within a spiritually and technological super nation that never had a history of systematic subjugation of women?

Why the hell not?
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 07-22-2018 at 09:01 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    Oakland...

1980's or so...

Prince N'jobo sist in his small apartment bucky naked on the bed waiting for that special happy ending.

N'jobo: "Woman, hurry up in there I'm ready!"

From behind the bathroom door...

Whatsherface: "Just a second I bought some new lingerie I want to show you my nubian prince be patient!"

Just then a flash of light and puffy smoke as a large tall purple people eating looking dude appears.

Thanos: "Are you Prince N'jobo"

N'jobo: "How did you..."

Thanos: "Never mind that... Here!"

Thanos hands Prince N'jobo a kinetic energy absorbing vibranium reinforced condom and using the time stone squeezes the infinity gauntlet and disappears.

Wakanda...

2000's or so...

King T'challa: "Did you take care of that thing for me?"

Thanos: "As per our agreement yes!"

King T'challa: "Good looking out!"

Princess Shuri: "Brother you are such a cheater!"

King T'challa: "Thanos wouldn't it be cool if I was an only child!"

Thanos: "You people are worse than the Skywalkers... I'm out!"

Poof!
    Hilarious

As far as supporting casts go... if it suits the narrative for the supporting cast not to be used, I think that's fine. I can buy Okoye not showing up in Hells Kitchen during LIss run, because it would make sense for her not to be there.

But Okoye not being in used at all in Hudlins run for example, I find a bit odd. He's using Doras… why not use Okoye? I won't say it's a HUGE deal that most fans will lose sleep over, but I think ignoring supporting cast for the sake of ignoring them can be hurtful to the franchise. I think you ideally want to build up at least a few Aunt May or Lois Lane or Commissioner Gordon level supporting cast members, and that obviously requires them to survive multliple writers runs. Shuri for example made the cut... Hudlin took great lengths to ensure it was almost impossible to ignore SHuri at least in the short term, and he made it work.
    Ramonda, W'kabi, Zuri, Shuri. It's not as though all of Tchallas supporting cast just poof and never shown up again

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Brother Ezyo, in truth, 2,4,8 or 100 Dora's there will always be some readers and writers who will deliberately choose to mischaracterize T'Challa's relationship with the Dora Milaje.

The actual on-panel facts don't matter in so far as they don't support the false narrative pushed by some.

Multiple scans of panels can be posted from now till infinity but some will continue to substitute assumptions and unsubstantiated ideas in direct contradiction of what's been published. (Pre-Coates.)

That comes with the territory.

Wholly realised Wakanda Program?

Not logical.

T'challa portrayed as a more than competent protagonist in his own solo book?

Forget that.

Stories that actually build upon what came before in a way that really builds up T'Challa as a character and Wakanda as a concept?

You must be joking.

Rape camps, women trafficking, out of nowhere chaos, corruption and stereotypical Third World violence portrayed as being rampant within a spiritually and technological super nation that never had a history of systematic subjugation of women?

Why the hell not?
    Yep and it's hailed as compelling story telling and "making Tchalla and Wakanda feel more realistic" which translates into making them feel safer because Priest, Liss, McDuffie,and Hudlin especially made folks feel uncomfortable showing an unapologetic Black Panther and Wakanda.

Nevermind the fact that the story was poorly done and took multiple books to try and make sense of the story that actually ended up contradicting itself and making the first arc even more ridiculous for how it turned out with T'Challa giving the MA everything they wanted while they acted like spoiled children