Page 61 of 5186 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465711111615611061 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    Not really...early in Priest's run their Okoye and Nakia looking nearly identical. What distinguished them was Priest actually giving them character development. THAT's where Hudlin failed with them.
    Well, Nakia had shorter hair and Okoye had longer hair, so even in that you could STILL differentiate between the two girls. When ALL the girls (or women because I'm not sure how old the Dora Milaje were supposed to be after Priest stopped writing them) in the Dora Milaje have NO HAIR AT ALL and look to have the same tribal markings on their faces, it was hard for me to tell them all apart from one another.

Plus it helped in Priest's run when T'Challa referred to both Dora Milaje by name...I don't recall though if T'Challa was ever shown calling any of the other Dora Milaje by name in Hudlin's or Maberry's runs other than the Aneka character.

Maybe other readers could see differences among all the Dora Milaje that weren't Nakia or Okoye, but I know I couldn't.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 06-06-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Well, Nakia had shorter hair and Okoye had longer hair, so even in that you could STILL differentiate between the two girls. When ALL the girls (or women because I'm not sure how old the Dora Milaje were supposed to be after Priest stopped writing them) in the Dora Milaje have NO HAIR AT ALL and look to have the same tribal markings on their faces, it was hard for me to tell them all apart from one another.

Plus it helped in Priest's run when T'Challa referred to both Dora Milaje by name...I don't recall though if T'Challa was ever shown calling any of the other Dora Milaje by name in Hudlin's or Maberry's runs other than the Aneka character.

Maybe other readers could see differences among all the Dora Milaje that weren't Nakia or Okoye, but I know I couldn't.
    They didn't have the same markings, even in the pics that were just posted in here they all had different markings and they were typically dressed differently.

What made it hard for them stand out was that Hudlin never development them as characters. They were just nameless Dora Milaje.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Joe A, where's the "speculation" here?
    That's not the bit of the conversation I was referring, and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Itt's pretty much obvious that some of these writers are obssessed with pushing the false meme of T'Challa as "bad husband" ad nauseum to shore up the increasingly weak position of some of their favoured characters and to be frank, it's gotten old really fast.

[...]

This is a Black Panther Appreciation thread populated by Black Panther enthusiasts and as such, it's inevitable that tasteless depictions of T'Challa as a character or the BP mythos in general are highly unlikely to go down well in this thread especially as the writers churning out said tasteless depictions have zero legitimate reason to keep negatively namedropping T'Challa in their books.
    Exactly my point. This is a thread for appreciating the things you love--all the Black Panthers, Wakanda, the Dora Milaje, related story arcs and the creators that worked on them. If you want to voice displeasure at how a Black Panther-related character is being treated somewhere, fine. Keep it to threads devoted to those comics. This thread isn't a place for everyone to gang up on, dismiss, and degrade a set of appearances, and vocalize and repeat animosity toward those involved, or even to speculate about their existence. It's one thing if someone likes something, mentions it, and it leads to discussion about its merits. It's another when it's apparent no one in the thread appreciates it, but wants to discuss it here anyway. If you see something you want to discuss, but can't mention it in a way that focuses on your appreciation of the character, post it elsewhere. If there's not an appropriate thread, make one.

Are you saying that we're not allowed to discuss matters relating to T'Challa outside of the books Hickman is writing?
    I'm not for using this thread to discuss Black Panther-related concepts in any manner similar to the one I deleted. Some people love past Panther books and appearances. Some people love New Avengers. Some people love New Avengers so much they want to talk about what it means for T'Challa and where he's going as a character. I love that. It shows you care. It shows you have enthusiasm. And if you can anyone can muster any enthusiasm for his appearances outside of books Hickman is writing, then by all means discuss it.

In the Uncanny Avengers Appreciation thread, they're discussing a future cover. In the She-Hulk Appreciation Thread, they're discussing a preview for a future issue (with mixed reactions). In the Invaders Appreciation thread, they're praising the conclusion of the arc and the use of the Torch in Fantastic Four. In the Scarlet Witch Appreciation thread, they're discussing various art pieces and the accuracy with which they depict her hex spells. And currently, y'all are discussing the greatness of the Dora Milaje and how they should look.

These are the things an appreciation thread is for. If someone brings up a topic, this is not the thread for everyone to dismiss it as "hilarious" and "trolling" and opt to focus on other characters involved in the story. I sorely hope you can see the difference.

So I take it you're a fan of the Johnny Alpha character then?
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    All BP fans want is for the other side to move on because it's making HER look bad. The weak female who can't move on and the last thing we need is Storm acting like Robin Givens (who STILL harps on how bad Tyson treated her).
    If the concern is truly for Storm and the treatment of her in the X-Books, then it would be better discussed in a thread about Storm.

I love what all these guys said you could tell guys like Joe Q and Hudlin really loved BP.
    We need better comics

BANNED

I have a question. Where is FLEX HECTIC?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    That's not the bit of the conversation I was referring, and you know it.
    Ummm, I don't actually, because I'm not sure which posts got deleted and whether I read or responded to any of them.

Exactly my point. This is a thread for appreciating the things you love--all the Black Panthers, Wakanda, the Dora Milaje, related story arcs and the creators that worked on them. If you want to voice displeasure at how a Black Panther-related character is being treated somewhere, fine. Keep it to threads devoted to those comics.
    So you're advocating that BP enthusiast unhappy with the way in which his character gets maligned in X-Books, should go over to threads focused on said books to voice their displeasure therein?

How has that worked out for the numerous posters who've been banned for doing so pre/post the CBR reboot?

I don't go into such threads for the simple fact that I just want to come onto CBR to enjoy kicking it with genuine fans of the comic book experience as opposed to individuals more geared up for unnecessary conflict.

This thread isn't a place for everyone to gang up on, dismiss, and degrade a set of appearances, and vocalize and repeat animosity toward those involved, or even to speculate about their existence. It's one thing if someone likes something, mentions it, and it leads to discussion about its merits. It's another when it's apparent no one in the thread appreciates it, but wants to discuss it here anyway.
    T'Challa as a character, has been degraded, diminished and dismissed consistently in X-books pre/post AvX with most of his and Wakanda's misfortunes (with the exception of Maberry's Doomwar) all being written by X-writers so why would it come as a suprise to anyone when these anomalies are noticed and then commented upon in a thread dedicated to the appreciation of T'Challa as a character and Wakanda as a concept?

As things stand at present, T'Challa and Wakanda appear "favourably" in one book that Shuri the current Black Panther rarely gets a look in whilst the potshots, derogatory references and generally Wakanda dismissive commentary appear in multiple X-books where Storm is featured as a character so no, I fail to comprehend why discussing what's going on in the X-storylines where T'Challa's name is brought up in a derogatory or dismismissive manner should be off limits especially where Marvel themselves seem not to have a problem steering the pot of discord themselves.

If you see something you want to discuss, but can't mention it in a way that focuses on your appreciation of the character, post it elsewhere.
    Do you have any suggestions?

If there's not an appropriate thread, make one.
    I might just take you up on this suggestion if only just to see how long it would last before it got trolled into being locked.

I'm not for using this thread to discuss Black Panther-related concepts in any manner similar to the one I deleted. Some people love past Panther books and appearances. Some people love New Avengers. Some people love New Avengers so much they want to talk about what it means for T'Challa and where he's going as a character. I love that. It shows you care. It shows you have enthusiasm. And if you can anyone can muster any enthusiasm for his appearances outside of books Hickman is writing, then by all means discuss it.
    Which is something that most of us do in this thrread ad infinitum.

Namely appreciating what Hickman has done thus far with T'Challa and Wakanda.

However, caring for a character invariably results in displeasure where it is demonstrably obvious that a body of writers seem to have no problem referencing said character in a derogatory manner regardless of story setting or location.

The level of displeasure grows exponentially when one takes the fact that the maligning of the character by said writers (past and present) has been going on for the past 7 years.

Outside of Hickman writing T'Challa positively, where else has the character been mentioned or portrayed in a positive light?

In the Uncanny Avengers Appreciation thread, they're discussing a future cover. In the She-Hulk Appreciation Thread, they're discussing a preview for a future issue (with mixed reactions). In the Invaders Appreciation thread, they're praising the conclusion of the arc and the use of the Torch in Fantastic Four. In the Scarlet Witch Appreciation thread, they're discussing various art pieces and the accuracy with which they depict her hex spells. And currently, y'all are discussing the greatness of the Dora Milaje and how they should look.
    Agreed 100%.

These are the things an appreciation thread is for. If someone brings up a topic, this is not the thread for everyone to dismiss it as "hilarious" and "trolling" and opt to focus on other characters involved in the story. I sorely hope you can see the difference.
    Well that all depends on the topic doesn't it.

I find it "hilarious" that some of the X-writers seem to stop themselves from bringing up T'Challa's name or have Storm mouth off about how much of a "bad husband" he supposedly was ad nauseum in X-books regardless of whether the story is set in the vastness of Africa or not.

Hickman has not had T'Challa mention Ororo once in New Avengers o it's rather obvious which writers are more invested in revisiting and milking the past as far as the annulment is concerned.

If someone comes into this thread extolling the "virtues" of lets say Wolverine or Storm at the expense of T'Challa, Shuri and Wakanda I wouldn't see that as being "hilarious" I'd just see it as trolling pure and simple.

However, I wouldn't waste my time commenting on such posts because I refuse to allow my buttons to be pushed nowadays.

Absolutely.
    That's great to know, as I grew up reading the original Strontium Dog stories when they were being published in the 2000AD weekly comic.

The combo of Johnny Alpha and Wulf Sternhammer was a joy to behold.

RLAAMJR. Flex Hectic was kidnapped by aliens so that they may extract his DNA and make handsome muscular clones on their own plant!

Sometimes I have to take one for the team... But I am back now so enjoy!

(Puts on Black Panther onsie)

Astonishing Member Global Honored's Avatar

Hey guys and ladies,
    Reading back through the last few pages and I want to chime in. I firmly have come to believe we should keep this thread about Black Panther and our love of the character. That in itself is worth discussing. Talking about X-fans, X-writers, Storm, etc. here on the BP thread isn't leading to positive, appreciative discussion and hasn't for a very long time. That is just the cold hard truth. I know a lot of us also like Storm and of course she has her own appreciation thread where we can discuss Ororo. Let's squash the infighting and animosity for good. It is a new CBR. Aimed at a positive, fan friendly approach that is lacking on the interwebs. Please don't go back to old battle lines of the past.

I am not saying you have to like other comics or agree with everything going on in Marvel or comics, media, society in general. Of course not. You are entitled to your opinions on those matters and may have more personal investment, more at stake than other posters. But let's not bring the grumbling here to the BP fan home thread. Save it for a more appropriate forum. It has a tendency to turn this into something far different than Appreciation, far more personal. This should be about Black Panther comics. Often, it isn't.

-GH

So, we see with the NA preview that there is going to be rational discussion with the GS before the inevitable fight of some sort...

So, who do you think throws the first punch? Strange? Hulk? Frazzled Stark? T'challa?

And when the Illuminati start to break apart, who do you think partners with T'challa? Do you think once they start to break apart that T'challa will bring Shuri into the fold?

(I am sick of talking about Storm and the X-men lol)
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    So, we see with the NA preview that there is going to be rational discussion with the GS before the inevitable fight of some sort...

So, who do you think throws the first punch? Strange? Hulk? Frazzled Stark? T'challa?

And when the Illuminati start to break apart, who do you think partners with T'challa? Do you think once they start to break apart that T'challa will bring Shuri into the fold?

(I am sick of talking about Storm and the X-men lol)
    I thought I was the only one lol

My favorite quotes from the Retrospective link Kaspercole posted

“T'Challa is brilliant, strong, and sports the best costume in all of comics,He's a historic figure, for sure, and while his appeal is universal, his world view—who he is and what he stands for—has found a special connection with five generations of African America fans.” - Axel Alonso

“Black Panther isn't just historically significant as the first black super hero, he's also a perfect concept who sums up the hopes and dreams of a people the way Superman does,” he says. “As the king of an African nation both technologically and morally superior to the West, he's the ultimate black nationalist fantasy. But like Captain America, he's a man of great principle which prevents him from being a jingoist prop and makes him broadly accessible. I wanted to write him as a way of paying back all the inspiration that Stan Lee and Jack Kirby gave him for creating him, and paying forward to the next generation by telling the stories I always wanted to see.” - Hudlin

“The Panther, I believe, was groundbreaking in the sense of his being an uncompromised person of African lineage debuting during the turbulent civil rights movement in America,” says Priest. “He was presented not as a mascot or as comic relief—although he did laugh a lot—but as a person of immense power, wealth, and an intellect to rival—and out-fight—Reed Richards. This was unique at a time when minority characters appeared mostly as comic relief or wince-inducing stereotype." - Priest.
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

I'm thinking either Tony cracks or Magically Roided Strange attacks.

Hulk will of course jump into the fray right after, or Namor. T'Challa's probably going to be tight that a peaceful solution isn't reached, but will fight as well.

Never fear folks because if this is true I will be next in line to takeover the Black Panther franchise just like Bane did Gotham City in The Dark Knight Rises...

http://community.comicbookresources....rvel-next-year

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    Never fear folks because if this is true I will be next in line to takeover the Black Panther franchise just like Bane did Gotham City in The Dark Knight Rises...

I never had much hope Hickman would right a BP solo but this pretty much confirms he won't.

He obviously can barely handle his current workload so I definitely expect for him to disappear for awhile after this Avengers stuff is over.

Hopefully he leaves T'challa in a place where a solo would be welcomes though... although I have a feeling the only chacne T'challa is getting a chance at another solo anytime soon is if Marvel announces a BP movie. I mean ****, look at GoG... Rocket and Star-Lord solos? Rocket getting pre-orded 300K? Holy moly what a movie could do for T'challa...
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post

Damn Flex the way you covertly go after Hickman every chance you get you'd think he has pissed in your rasien bran cereal and tore up your fav issue of Muscle & Fitness