Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator

Default Marvel & Jack Kirby Family Settle Long-Running Legal Dispute

Marvel and the family of Jack Kirby have settled their legal battle over the rights to the many characters he had a hand in creating.

Full article here.

Whenever a legal dispute is settled and the word "amicable" is used, it's cause for celebration. Hopefully, both parties can move on from here and we don't have to worry about a judge throwing the comic book industry into a tailspin.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I didn't think I would ever see this headline. Good for both parties to be able to finally settle things between them.
    Thennary Speaks - Video reviews for comic books, anime & manga, J-pop and other topics

Finally they're done fighting! Always thought it was distasteful how bitter this got considering Kirby's contributions to Marvel.

Great news. Let's hope the Superman never-ending legal battle can be settled amicably, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Great news. Let's hope the Superman never-ending legal battle can be settled amicably, too.
    Didn't that end last year with full rights going to DC ? the only catch i think DC has to put a agreement text when Superman appears in the books.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I am glad to read this. I think sometimes the claims on the Kirby side were a little overboard like claiming Spider-Man. I think that Marvel could have struck a deal something like what Stan used to have and that was the yearly payoff. I *think* that finally ended some years back because that went to court too. I would imagine they give Stan some kind of token payment for the Exec Producer credits on the movies.

They will probably agree to keep the settlement private but I hope it amounts to a nice tidy sum for the Kirby family now that the movie money has been adding to Marvel/Disney's corporate wealth.

I hate how these settlements always have NDAs. I think if a court case is settled beforehand, there should at the very least be a timeframe after which point the details are made public.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I am glad to read this. I think sometimes the claims on the Kirby side were a little overboard like claiming Spider-Man.
    These kinds of claims tend to always be overblown, as I understand it. It's kinda like when someone sues a company for five-hundred million dollars. Realistically, they'll only get a fraction of that, but hey, ya never know. In any case, since Kirby had claimed creation of Spidey, it had to be included. Personally, I think he thought he created Spider-Man, but Greg Theakston did a pretty in-depth investigation on the subject and it was more than likely Jack was getting some pre-Marvel characters that shared similarities with Spidey (Night Fighter, The Fly, Silver Spider) conflated with his drawing the first appearance cover.

It's not without reason to see why he might think that.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

If anyone should be getting the rights to Marvel characters it should be Stan Lee. Nuff said.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

i hope this means that sersi can come back and give the avengers an actual powerhouse once again. and that she's available for the mcu. tired of marvel scraping the bottom of the barrel with some characters.

librarianofjustice

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    If anyone should be getting the rights to Marvel characters it should be Stan Lee. Nuff said.
    I think if you check out Sean Howe's Marvel Comics: The Untold Story, you'd change your mind. Jack was the brainchild behind most of the early Marvel universe. Stan held it together, but he delegated almost everyting after a point. He wasn't the creative force behind most of the big heroes.

All-New Member

Stan Lee got royaltees a few years back, after sueing Marvel himself. Jack Kirby co-created most of the 60s ones (with the exeption of a few, like Spidey and strange).

Kirby claimed he had far more input, and that even though Ditko redesigned Spidey after he came up with the concept. We don't know if there is anything to this, BUT there is no doubt that he created them with Stan Lee. Stan doesn't dispute that.

So it's fine saying Stan deserves the royaltees he fought for (if you don't accept that they were work for hire and got paid as to the agreement), but absolutely no reason to take the zero sum argument that Stan deserves it but Kirby doesn't.

BANNED

Did he design the characters that they use to sell the books, toys and games?
    He was Ditko's and Kirby's editor, basically.

Fantastic Member

Wasn't Stan Lee related to the publisher and made sure his work (and only his work) wasn't considered work for hire?