Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ultimate X-men Remembrance and Appreciation

2qibpko.jpg
    Hey. Started this threat for all lovers of the Ultimate X-men comic book line. I'm curious to know how many of you loved the book and the reason you loved it. WHat were your favourite characters, storylines and arcs? What would you consider to be their Heyday? What didn't you like about the books? Just your thoughts on them overall.

I'll start out by saying that the Ultimate X-men are what really got me into comics because I was able to follow the reletatively young history of the books (from start to finish) and I found the stories to be amazing. I loved all of the characters and their dynamics and enjoyed watching the team grow over time. Things like watching storm learn to fly and her relationship with beast, the recruitment of new x-men to the group and, all the origin stories, Jean's growing power and the new take on the phoenix, EVERYTHING about them fascinated me.

I was really shot by Ulitmatum though, especially at the point where they offed Cyclops (never really liked him as a character but still that stunned me). That was when I was like, "Oh S#!&, this really is never going to be the same"

When the line relaunched, focussing on Karen Grant, I was ecstatic and waited those gruelling months for the irregular title. I started disliking the comics and the stories shortly after Karen went back to being Jean and Wood took over writing. After that the characters all felt completely different from the ones I previously knew. It was also difficult tryng to connect with their motives. It's only the development of Kitty that I loved during this time.

Looking back, that last leg of Ultimate X-men lost me because , to me at least, the characters became more of "Alternate Universe X-men" than the Ultimate X-men (just have a look at storm and you'll get it) : merely a distopic reflection of 616. Mind you, several people still enjoyed those latter arcs.

Do you guys also have any favourite/best and worst moments in the series?

I Loved this comics Dazzler btw. Back then I didn't know as much as I do now so I actually thought (for some time) that she was the Ultimate version of Jubilee... >_< cut me some slack lol
    82405d84cf2f4862e62dd49540c4ca08.jpg

I just finished reading humphries and woods ultimate x men for the first time. And I must say I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than anything currently going on in 616 at the moment.
    The art was great, characters were worth getting invested in. And the story was great.
    I loved ultimate utopia, much more than 616 actually. Even tian was a great idea, the wright ears just seemed to lose interest though.

Ultimate x xmen pre ultimatum was also a great read. Would recommend it to any x men fan.

All this talk of the UU losing its spark IMO is bull, I just finished ultimates, ultimate x men and I'm currently reading ult spiderman and all three titles have been great...

Millar's run on Ultimate X-Men made me love comics. His 6 arcs are still my favorite of any comic I've read.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Millar's run on Ultimate X-Men made me love comics. His 6 arcs are still my favorite of any comic I've read.
    If that's the one thing Millar should ask Fox to make a movie/reboot of that would be it. Too bad he doesn't own the rights to it.

Even though the fact will never change that your opinion is absurd, you'll be happy to know that I FINALLY got one of my good comics friends to read the UU, and X-Men is his favorite so far. I told him he's wrong, but some people just don't listen.

Definitely loved the Millar work in Ultimate X-Men as some of the best stories and post-Ultimatum, I still gotta go with Spencer's work as the best read, especially with how he wrote the stories in ways that left you wondering about where things were going. While it may seem like a bit of a controversial opinion, looking back, Wood's run was a bit of a step down from Spencer. Beyond DWF, stories were good but it seemed like things just happened without explanation. Just off the top of my head some questions that were raised and never answered:

Why did Johnny suddenly have a change of heart in fighting for mutants? If that fake Psylocke was a product Mothervine, who was she and why did they think she was Psylocke? What was the deal with Jean's change to a dictator against her friends and what was with the seeming return of the Phoenix in her? What exactly happened to Xorn?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Definitely loved the Millar work in Ultimate X-Men as some of the best stories and post-Ultimatum, I still gotta go with Spencer's work as the best read, especially with how he wrote the stories in ways that left you wondering about where things were going. While it may seem like a bit of a controversial opinion, looking back, Wood's run was a bit of a step down from Spencer. Beyond DWF, stories were good but it seemed like things just happened without explanation. Just off the top of my head some questions that were raised and never answered:

Why did Johnny suddenly have a change of heart in fighting for mutants? If that fake Psylocke was a product Mothervine, who was she and why did they think she was Psylocke? What was the deal with Jean's change to a dictator against her friends and what was with the seeming return of the Phoenix in her? What exactly happened to Xorn?
    Agree, I never understood that whole psylocke thing. Who the hell was she? I'd say the whole tian thing was a little rushed. They should have developed it a little better.

And what ever happened to apocalypse and sinister??????

If a new Ult. X-men title was relaunched, who would you all want to be on the team?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Jameszahra View Post
    Agree, I never understood that whole psylocke thing. Who the hell was she? I'd say the whole tian thing was a little rushed. They should have developed it a little better.

And what ever happened to apocalypse and sinister??????
    Apocalyse seems to have been forgotten about since Spencer's run ended and Sinister appeared in the Spider-Man No More arc in Ultimate Spider-Man where Miles and the other Young Ultimates bust Roxxon and the Brain Trust.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    If a new Ult. X-men title was relaunched, who would you all want to be on the team?
    Thinking about reading Ultimate X-men again (this may be the 3rd or 4th time) and whoever wrote my favourite arcs.... that would be him

Quote Originally Posted by Garrick1010 View Post
    Thinking about reading Ultimate X-men again (this may be the 3rd or 4th time) and whoever wrote my favourite arcs.... that would be him
    I meant which characters would you want to make up the team?

Would you want a core cast of say 5-7 members? Or would you prefer the team to consist of rotating members?

I know I would definitely want Storm, Colossus, and Jimmy. They would be my core 3. I'm not sure yet who else I would add.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    Even though the fact will never change that your opinion is absurd, you'll be happy to know that I FINALLY got one of my good comics friends to read the UU, and X-Men is his favorite so far. I told him he's wrong, but some people just don't listen.
    This coming from the guy who owns all of JMS's Supreme Power and hasn't read it, telling me what's absurd sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    If I can have anyone

1)Logan
    2)Jean
    3)Kurt
    4)Peter
    5)Kitty
    6)Ororo
    7)Hank
    8)Scott
    9)Alex
    10)Black Box
    11)Jimmy
    12)Bobby
    13)Hisako

Honestly any and all X-Men from any run/arc.

If we are sticking with only currently active characters I would just take everyone from Spencer and Wood's run.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

This coming from the guy who owns all of JMS's Supreme Power and hasn't read it, telling me what's absurd sheesh.
    But... but... it's not in shiny new custom hardcovers yet! HOW CAN I READ IT?

Here's something I'm having trouble remembering. Did they ever follow up on the Magician or was that another abandoned future plot?