Did some birthday shopping for myself recently, and loaded up on some Peter David Spider-man.

Essential Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-man Vol. 5: the only place so far where a handful of PAD's early Spec work has been collected (up to #114). The collection starts with a one-issue throwaway by Al Milgrom (#97), about a character called the Hermit. Really quirky, and not that memorable. It also contains Milgrom's 3-parter with the first appearance of the Spot. I actually love the Spot.

#103 contains PAD's first published Spec issue, the origin of the Blaze. I won't spoil this story for anyone that hasn't read it, but it's a suspenseful, twisty issue where a group of college kids attempt to outsmart Spider-man. Excellent stuff.

I skipped around a lot in this trade, as I've read most of the issues before. I hadn't read #104, which is a passable issue by Mantlo of Spidey trying to protect Rocket Racer from a gun-toting bounty hunter. Not bad. This trade also contains Death of Jean DeWolff. I skipped it since I think I'm getting the nice 'remastered' trade for XMAS. I may have to break down and re-read this story in all it's black and white glory, though. It's been awhile. I also skipped annual #5, the first appearance of Ace, also by PAD, though I really like that story and will go back to it.

There's a Secret Wars II tie-in (yes, there was already a Secret Wars II back in 1986), scripted by Owsley. Bizarre issue, I'd never read it. Puma is attempting to take out the Beyonder, whom he considers one of the most dangerous beings in the universe. I enjoyed re-reading the XMAS issue, also by PAD, with the mall Santa that goes to rob Bambi, Candy and Randy, Peter's trio of neighbors.

#113, the PAD issue where the street punks from the end of Death of Jean DeWolff come back for revenge against one of Aunt May's boarders, and they invade her home in a hostage standoff. Very tense issue, extremely well done and enjoyable with some flawless artwork by Bob McLeod. One of my favorite issues of Spider-man by far. They really need to collect these issues in color, or at least come out with the next volume of Spec Essentials, which would pick up with #115.

I also ordered a copy of 'The Trial of Venom', a one-off issue for the UNICEF charity back in 1992, scripted by PAD. I had never owned or read this issue. Interesting tale where Eddie Brock is put on trial after the symbiote is assumed dead, having "killed" itself in Brock's cell in the Vault. None other than Matt Murdoch is Brock's defense, though Matt calls Spider-man along to testify against Brock. Interesting issue, the usual great read by PAD, but the art doesn't completely rise to the story (I'd have liked to have seen what someone like Erik Larsen would've done with it at the time).