Marvel Two-In-One Annual 2 (1977)

Jim Starlin has a very well balanced handle on the powers and abilities of Spider-Man, his handling of the character against Thanos and his army landed him as the acrobatic and agile strategist with strength to handle his minions, not rush into situations, and opt to cleverly release the Avengers (most importantly Thor) to stand a good chance in saving the universe from annihilation.

Pit this issue against...

Fantastic Four 250:

a Skrull pretending to be Nightcrawler took down Spider-Man in a battle that Spider-Man had the time and chance to release himself from captivity and turn the tide of battle in his favor. But I guess John Byrne was too used to drawing Spider-Man for Chris Claremont in Marvel Team-Up, who made sure that Spider-Man turns unconscious every so often.
Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
I have just started the John Romita Sr era of Spider-Man. I am very happy about that as I always liked him more then Ditko.
I agree. 70s and 80s Spider-Man aren't too on the dark side of things though, Len Wein, Roger Stern, and Bill Mantlo had a good handle on the tone most fitting for the character.