Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
Finally the fifth Epic Collection of ASM arrived to my home (I bought it from Bookdepository a couple months ago. I knew it would take that long, but it was cheaper that ordering from Amazon, so it was worth it).

The first story is Annual #5, the epic that explains what happened to Peter's parents. As a superhero comicbook, it's pretty solid, though towards the end it becomes rough, as if Stan Lee and Larry Lieber had to rush to the final battle and resort to a just way too convenient narrative choice to have Peter find the truth and evidence he was seeking.

Larry Lieber did a great job and in line with what Romita Sr was doing in the regular series. I think this may have been Lee's biggest mistake in his long years as a writer in ASM. Making Peter Parker's parents spies (well, Richard was the spy here. His wife just accompanied her husband) doesn't work in the world of the character and though it is not an awful concept, further writers and editors did make it even worse

I have also been reading the next four or five issues in the volume, and they have been really cool so far. I'm digging the Clay Tablet storyline, with which I was familiar thank to Spider-Man TAS and the current issues by Nick Spencer and Ryan Ottley in ASM
It's kinda annoying hearing about all the things that "don't work in the world". It just sounds like a reason to reinforce the status quo rather than move on from it.

You don't hear Dragon Ball fans talking about how out of place aliens were in the universe.