Page 76 of 81 FirstFirst ... 2666727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1207
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I recently got the Black Cat by Jed Mackay Omnibus.

I was pretty lukewarm on his run way when it started and I kind of dropped off. However, I was enjoying it enough to check out the rest in a massive omnibus I got cheap.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I recently got the Black Cat by Jed Mackay Omnibus.

I was pretty lukewarm on his run way when it started and I kind of dropped off. However, I was enjoying it enough to check out the rest in a massive omnibus I got cheap.
    I didn't realize how much work he had done on the character before the Mary Jane & Black Cat: Beyond tie-in issue. It was a fun run (or fun series of mini-series.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I didn't realize how much work he had done on the character before the Mary Jane & Black Cat: Beyond tie-in issue. It was a fun run (or fun series of mini-series.)
    It really crept up on me. I was initially looking for the TPBs, which I prefer, but there's 8 or more (and one was released in Covid so is hard to find)!
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

right now I'm the arc where Jonah been held captive by the Chameleon. Robbie is in prison with Tombstone. MJ being black balled from modeling gigs due to Jonathan Caesar. And they are finally doing something with Gloria Grant with her boyfriend being one of the Lobos brother having a gang war with Kingpin
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

about to start the 4th ongoing Spider-Man series which is written and drawn by McFarlane guess it was a good thing comics were cheap back in the day must have been horrible trying to collect them all

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    about to start the 4th ongoing Spider-Man series which is written and drawn by McFarlane guess it was a good thing comics were cheap back in the day must have been horrible trying to collect them all
    The Hobgoblin/Ghostrider story was among the first Spider-Man comics I ever read, borrowed from the library. I will always have a huge soft spot for that one.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    I just got the Nick Spencer ASM omnibus vol.1 and am currently making my way through that. It's really, really good!
    Why? The characters did nothing act like teenagers the entire run.

Astonishing Member

Stan Lee Aunt May is so annoying my God the amount of times she fainted is too much and I'm only 60 issues in.
    All of the characters were annoying in that run, so I don’t see why May would be singled out. It’s honestly amazing how much nostalgia people have for that run.

I read ASM #647 last night, the final issue of the Brand New Day era.

I actually forgot that this issue existed. In my mind, Brand New Day ended with the conclusion of Origin of Species. I generally find anthology issues like this a waste of time, so didn't go in with high hopes.

The main story, featuring a farewell party for Harry, isn't actually too bad. If you are broadly against the BND era and the removal of the marriage, then I can imagine this being a very annoying story. I found it quite cleverly written though, and quite enjoyed the focus on Peter's supporting cast. I always find 'downtime' issues like this quite refreshing, and I thought there was enough plot and intrigue to keep it from feeling too fluffy. I thought Vin's appearance was interesting, but I can't actually remember if his dalliance with Norman Osborn in prison actually ever went anywhere? I am thinking not. The focus on Harry Osborn's character and development was genuinely touching and made the character's fate at the end of Spencer's run all the more disappointing.

The rest of the stories are a bit of a mixed bag to be honest with none that I can strongly recommend. Bob Gale and Joe Kelly's efforts stood out as being particularly bad. Generally though, the issue was a lot more worthwhile than I had been expecting.

If I'm being honest, and this is slightly embarassing, it made me feel a little emotional. Whether you like it or loathe it, the Brand New Day era was a massively significant milestone in Spider-Man's publication history. I was around 17-20 at the time, which is probably the time when I was most engaged with comics and comic book fandom. Although the quality of the stories is very mixed - possibly moreso than any other era in the character's history - I do have fond memories of it. Although, like many of the fanbase, I dislike One More Day and the changes that it brought about, I remember Brand New Day feeling fresh, exciting and different. It's easy to forget how crazy the idea of a 3x per month ASM was, and I recall there being a relentlessley exciting feel at the time which hasn't ever been replicated. Whether you enjoyed it or not, you have to appreciate the intention to create so many new characters, while also updating Spider-Man's classic rogue's gallery in a relatively short stretch of issues. Would I like it to be revisited? No, probably not. But I think there is a lot to like about this 100 issue stretch of Spider-history.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    I read ASM #647 last night, the final issue of the Brand New Day era.
    So, now that you've finished it what arcs do you think were highlights (or lowlights)?

When I eventually went through it all I remember liking a lot of the Gauntlet issues, Electro, Rhino and Mysterio in particular, and Anti-Venom was a fun idea. The Ock story in ASM #600 was pretty dark and I like where that ultimately led.

Also, Origin of Species, for its ludicrous premise, is entertaining in a "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" kind of way. Just Spidey and a kid swinging about with a cavalcade of colourful characters appearing to try to catch them.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    So, now that you've finished it what arcs do you think were highlights (or lowlights)?

When I eventually went through it all I remember liking a lot of the Gauntlet issues, Electro, Rhino and Mysterio in particular, and Anti-Venom was a fun idea. The Ock story in ASM #600 was pretty dark and I like where that ultimately led.

Also, Origin of Species, for its ludicrous premise, is entertaining in a "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" kind of way. Just Spidey and a kid swinging about with a cavalcade of colourful characters appearing to try to catch them.
    I must say that I agree with most of your choices. Taken on their own merits, a lot of the arcs from the Gauntlet were really good. Waid's Electro arc and Keemia's Castle stand out as highlights (I think I wrote about both earlier in the thread.) I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Origin of the Species when I re-read it recently. It is very silly and shouldn't really work, but as a slight guilty pleasure it is a brilliant read.

One thing that Brand New Day did really well was the tentpole arcs. New Ways to Die, Character Assassination and American Son were all excellent, blockbuster arcs with great artwork. #600 is probably one of my favourite anniversary issues and introduced a really interesting status quo for Doc Ock.

Anything illustrated by Marcos Martin has classic status for me. He is a treasure. Peter Parker Paparazzi is a very divisive arc (with good reason) but it is very special to me and I always enjoy revisiting it. I can't think of a more memorable introduction for an artist to ASM.

When I have the time I will have a proper look through and add some more. As far as lowlights go, a lot of the Kraven family stuff didn't really work. The Jackpot mystery fell really flat. I could have done without the Black Cat arc in the early #600s, and in fact most of what was done with the character during this era was quite ill judged. Shed was an interesting idea but wasn't executed in the right way and ended up being a pretty ugly story (in more ways than one - and I'm generally a fan of Bachalo!)

I will mention that I do think Mr Negative is definitely a solid character find in the era.

I know people call him one-note, and he definitely got too much screen time for what he offered, but I think overall he is a solid addition who now needs a definitive direction going forward.

I also like Overdrive, but that was mostly through Superior Foes.

I'm in Barcelona, so I bought some cheap 80s Spider-Man. Some of my favorite years of the character! They collect different series of Spider-Man, the most important are the issues of ASM with the saga of the alien costume, where Peter dons the funny bagman costume

IMG_0178.jpg
    Last edited by Chubistian; 10-15-2023 at 08:41 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

into the clone saga finally in my readthrough. after the truth of peter robot parents, the Pursuit arc against Chameleon, Peter abandoning his civilian identity and Aunt May stroke here comes his clone. Peter cannot get a break

into the clone saga finally in my readthrough. after the truth of peter robot parents, the Pursuit arc against Chameleon, Peter abandoning his civilian identity and Aunt May stroke here comes his clone. Peter cannot get a break
    Peter keeps getting pushed hard, but there are light moments for him too. It's balanced and I don't feel like he's the source of his own problems.

One of my favourite hero/hero dynamics is Peter working with Ben.

Also, for years (until I got the recent Epic Collection) I'd have sworn that the "I am the Spider" stuff is spelled "Spyder" because 90's. Lol.