Page 6 of 81 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Did some birthday shopping for myself recently, and loaded up on some Peter David Spider-man.

Essential Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-man Vol. 5: the only place so far where a handful of PAD's early Spec work has been collected (up to #114). The collection starts with a one-issue throwaway by Al Milgrom (#97), about a character called the Hermit. Really quirky, and not that memorable. It also contains Milgrom's 3-parter with the first appearance of the Spot. I actually love the Spot.

#103 contains PAD's first published Spec issue, the origin of the Blaze. I won't spoil this story for anyone that hasn't read it, but it's a suspenseful, twisty issue where a group of college kids attempt to outsmart Spider-man. Excellent stuff.

I skipped around a lot in this trade, as I've read most of the issues before. I hadn't read #104, which is a passable issue by Mantlo of Spidey trying to protect Rocket Racer from a gun-toting bounty hunter. Not bad. This trade also contains Death of Jean DeWolff. I skipped it since I think I'm getting the nice 'remastered' trade for XMAS. I may have to break down and re-read this story in all it's black and white glory, though. It's been awhile. I also skipped annual #5, the first appearance of Ace, also by PAD, though I really like that story and will go back to it.

There's a Secret Wars II tie-in (yes, there was already a Secret Wars II back in 1986), scripted by Owsley. Bizarre issue, I'd never read it. Puma is attempting to take out the Beyonder, whom he considers one of the most dangerous beings in the universe. I enjoyed re-reading the XMAS issue, also by PAD, with the mall Santa that goes to rob Bambi, Candy and Randy, Peter's trio of neighbors.

#113, the PAD issue where the street punks from the end of Death of Jean DeWolff come back for revenge against one of Aunt May's boarders, and they invade her home in a hostage standoff. Very tense issue, extremely well done and enjoyable with some flawless artwork by Bob McLeod. One of my favorite issues of Spider-man by far. They really need to collect these issues in color, or at least come out with the next volume of Spec Essentials, which would pick up with #115.

I also ordered a copy of 'The Trial of Venom', a one-off issue for the UNICEF charity back in 1992, scripted by PAD. I had never owned or read this issue. Interesting tale where Eddie Brock is put on trial after the symbiote is assumed dead, having "killed" itself in Brock's cell in the Vault. None other than Matt Murdoch is Brock's defense, though Matt calls Spider-man along to testify against Brock. Interesting issue, the usual great read by PAD, but the art doesn't completely rise to the story (I'd have liked to have seen what someone like Erik Larsen would've done with it at the time).

I finally got around to reading Spider-Man The Final Adventure. Peter and Mary are now living in Portland and looking to create a stable life for their unborn child. Peter begins working at a lab where strange experiments are taking place. This time, Peter tries to help the guy by giving some of his blood, but it ends up making him more powerful and unstable. The Tendril guy escapes and now Peter is forced to put the costume back on once again--even though Mary Jane is totally against it. She eventually leaves for New York.

Eventually he's able to reach out to another guy who's had similar experiments done to him and gain his trust as Spider-Man. During this time, he discovers an abnormality going on within himself--and understands that finding Tendril is important not only for the city, but for his own self as well. Once Tendril is captured, the experiment to remove his powers and the other guys is launched. Peter is forced to go in and expose himself as well, which leads him to believe his powers are now gone. Mary Jane returns and both of them realize how important they are to each other. At this point, Peter is ready to give up Spider-Man for good and focus on Mary Jane and their future baby.

Pretty good story.

Just picked up JMS ASM ultimate coll. 1. Started on the first 2 issues.

It's pretty good overall and I'm just breezing past the Totem issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Turlast View Post
    I finally got around to reading Spider-Man The Final Adventure. Peter and Mary are now living in Portland and looking to create a stable life for their unborn child. Peter begins working at a lab where strange experiments are taking place. This time, Peter tries to help the guy by giving some of his blood, but it ends up making him more powerful and unstable. The Tendril guy escapes and now Peter is forced to put the costume back on once again--even though Mary Jane is totally against it. She eventually leaves for New York.

Eventually he's able to reach out to another guy who's had similar experiments done to him and gain his trust as Spider-Man. During this time, he discovers an abnormality going on within himself--and understands that finding Tendril is important not only for the city, but for his own self as well. Once Tendril is captured, the experiment to remove his powers and the other guys is launched. Peter is forced to go in and expose himself as well, which leads him to believe his powers are now gone. Mary Jane returns and both of them realize how important they are to each other. At this point, Peter is ready to give up Spider-Man for good and focus on Mary Jane and their future baby.

Pretty good story.
    I read this story when it came out. Tendril: there's a villain who's never been mentioned / made a return since that story.

Read some Ultimate Spider-Man.

Ultimate Spider-Man #79-85: A chaotic mob war story set shortly after Peter decided to cut ties with MJ. Reads pretty well as a trade, although I'd imagine it was frustrating when it was published with months long waits between issues that took four minutes to read. Plenty of fun moments courtesy of Bendis, and it is about something as Peter Parker stumbles into the adult world. Typical good USM arc.
    B+

Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #1: Parallel Lives by way of Ultimate Spider-Man #13. One of Bendis's strongest scripts, based on a great concept: Kitty Pryde thinks Spidey's cute, and wants a date. The art suffers, though. Brooks gets better later, but at this point, his art is among the weakest I've seen in any Ultimate Spider-Man issue (which isn't that big an insult when you consider the regular art teams of Bagley, Immonen, Pichelli and Marquez.
    A-

Ultimate Spider-Man #86-90: Silver Sable tries to catch Spidey, but makes a mistake that makes his life difficult. Blends Peter's private life (understandably downplayed in the previous arc) with events in Spidey's life. Another generally fun typically good USM storyline. From small details in the later issues, I get the impression Bendis and Bagley were on a Will Eisner kick while making this story.
    B+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Read some more Ultimate Spider-Man.

Ultimate Spider-Man #91-94: The story has some fun with Peter's relationship with Kitty Pryde, although the villains are mostly generic. I like how one bad guy discusses his bigotry, but this is a waste as the introduction of Ultimate Deadpool. If this had come out recently I'd think it's a Hunger Games ripoff, although it came out several years earlier. Generally a fun read, with some memorable moments.
    B

Ultimate Spider-Man #95-96: It's refreshing to have a two parter after some longer stories that might not have all merited the issue count. Here, Spidey is completely out of his element as he encounters vampires for a second time. It's a rare thing to see the character this vulnerable, which is certainly one of Bendis's strengths. I also like Peter and MJ navigating their frienship post-break-up/ Kitty Pryde.
    B+

I just realized I haven't said much about Bagley's art for the 18 issues I've read so far. I just take it for granted how good he is.

Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #2: A busy issue, part of an ongoing story Bendis is telling about the Kingpin and crime figures. Brooks' art still doesn't seem like a great fit for the Ultimate books, but it's generally more satisfying. Continues the themes of the Warriors arc, with strong moments involving Marvel's other top street-level heroes.
    B+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

More mostly Ultimate Spider-Man....

Ultimate Spider-Man #97-105: A highlight of the series. One of the many cool tricks that makes this story so addictive is the double cliffhanger. Peter Parker learns something shocking. And then there's another cliffhanger after that.
    A+

Ultimate Spider-Man #106-110:
    A solid street level story basically concluding the Warriors/ Marvel Knights mega-arc.
    A-

Ultimate Spider-Man #111:
    It's a solid one-off, and a story that has to be told between Peter and a supporting character, but it's rather derivative of another story that dealt with the same subject matter, as well as previous spotlight issues.
    B

Black Panther: The Most Dangerous Man Alive #524:
    Likely the best-drawn Spider Island related comic, thanks to Francesco Francavilla. Solid set-up to Liss's final arc with some stuff that can intrigue Spider-Man fans checkign out a tie-in, thanks to a funny appearance by Overdrive, trying to get himself infected by the spider virus.
    B+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I've been reading Spiderverse and wondering if Coipel is done with the event or do they have him coming back for a big final issue type deal?
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Quote Originally Posted by harashkupo View Post
    I've been reading Spiderverse and wondering if Coipel is done with the event or do they have him coming back for a big final issue type deal?
    Last I heard, he's supposed to draw the last issue.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Last I heard, he's supposed to draw the last issue.
    Awesome
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Default Latest Spider-Man comic you read

With approval by Spidey section's first mod; Mister Mets I start this thread.

Name the last comic you read either titled, starring, or co-starring our favorite wallcrawler, and share your thoughts of it.

I read The Spectacular Spider-Man 178-183: The Child Within.
    It's not masterpiece, another psycho-babble filled story written by J.M.Dematteis, at least it has lesser fragmented inner monologue than the famous Kraven's Last Hunt did.
    I love how the child within is about the inner child of two characters, three if you consider Peter Parker thinking of his past, and has balanced focus between the three characters, without making one of them a sideline character.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

I haven't read the latest issue yet, but the only Spider-MAN title I'm reading these days is the Amazing Spider-Man __.1 series written by Gerry Conway. (I'm passing on Renew Your Vows and Secret Wars in general). As for issues 16.1 and 17.1, I've enjoyed he story of Spidey vs. gangster-type bad guys like Hammerhead and Tombstone.

By the way, do the Spider-Ladies (Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, and Silk) count?

BANNED

Amazing Spider-man #16.1 and #18.1 (too bad more people aren't reading these--leagues ahead of anything I've read of 616 Spidey the last three years)

Renew Your Vows #1

Spiral (16.1-18.1), Renew Your Vows #1, Ultimate Spider-Man 40-60.

In fairness to Spiral, I've seen a lot of people in the stores I visit read it, it just isn't a comic were you discuss what will happen.

BANNED

Ultimate Spider-Man. I haven't gotten a chance to grab a copy of Renew Your Vows #1