Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566 LastLast

Finally the fifth Epic Collection of ASM arrived to my home (I bought it from Bookdepository a couple months ago. I knew it would take that long, but it was cheaper that ordering from Amazon, so it was worth it).

The first story is Annual #5, the epic that explains what happened to Peter's parents. As a superhero comicbook, it's pretty solid, though towards the end it becomes rough, as if Stan Lee and Larry Lieber had to rush to the final battle and resort to a just way too convenient narrative choice to have Peter find the truth and evidence he was seeking.

Larry Lieber did a great job and in line with what Romita Sr was doing in the regular series. I think this may have been Lee's biggest mistake in his long years as a writer in ASM. Making Peter Parker's parents spies (well, Richard was the spy here. His wife just accompanied her husband) doesn't work in the world of the character and though it is not an awful concept, further writers and editors did make it even worse

I have also been reading the next four or five issues in the volume, and they have been really cool so far. I'm digging the Clay Tablet storyline, with which I was familiar thank to Spider-Man TAS and the current issues by Nick Spencer and Ryan Ottley in ASM
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I have it in the epic collection format and I've heard nothing but good things, but I just can't bring myself to read it. Kraven has never been one of my favorite Spider villians. I'll get around to it.

However, picked up a large PPSM lot in a dollar bin. So I recently read #98 & #100, I enjoy seeing Spider-Man take on the Kingpin, but the Felecia stuff was fairly cringe worthy. Next I will be reading Web Of Spider-Man 1 since we have some further developments with the alien suite.
    Kravens last hunt is unlike any other previous kraven story. In early appearances kraven comes off as an unsuccessful goofball whos not much of a threat. Kravens last hunt finally shows what a cunning hunter kraven really is and comes off well.

I was familiar with kraven before reading it but he wasnt a favorite leading me to be skeptical of the story, then i read it ��

Last time I was re-reading the Clone Saga, soon I will be reading from Venom to Maximum Carnage, Clone Saga and the post clone saga years.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    Last time I was re-reading the Clone Saga, soon I will be reading from Venom to Maximum Carnage, Clone Saga and the post clone saga years.
    Thats what i need to read as well. The only asm i am yet to read is from about 315-volume 22.

I finished the fifth Epic Collection of ASM. I loved the petrified tablet saga, it was unusual for a story to last so long back then. It also was much more decompressed compared to other stories in the series from the 60s. The rest of the comics collected in the book were great too, with the two-part debut of The Prowler, the return of the Chamaleon, a rematch with Electro and The Scheemer mystery (which I enjoyed though I knew beforehand the twist about concerning the new villain). The only bland story was the origin of The Kangaroo, one of the few times a dull bad guy appeared in the magazine in its early years, but it was saved thank to a sideplot involving aunt May that, though standard for most of it, had an interesting conclusion
    Last edited by Chubistian; 07-01-2020 at 09:52 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Finally the fifth Epic Collection of ASM arrived to my home (I bought it from Bookdepository a couple months ago. I knew it would take that long, but it was cheaper that ordering from Amazon, so it was worth it).

The first story is Annual #5, the epic that explains what happened to Peter's parents. As a superhero comicbook, it's pretty solid, though towards the end it becomes rough, as if Stan Lee and Larry Lieber had to rush to the final battle and resort to a just way too convenient narrative choice to have Peter find the truth and evidence he was seeking.

Larry Lieber did a great job and in line with what Romita Sr was doing in the regular series. I think this may have been Lee's biggest mistake in his long years as a writer in ASM. Making Peter Parker's parents spies (well, Richard was the spy here. His wife just accompanied her husband) doesn't work in the world of the character and though it is not an awful concept, further writers and editors did make it even worse

I have also been reading the next four or five issues in the volume, and they have been really cool so far. I'm digging the Clay Tablet storyline, with which I was familiar thank to Spider-Man TAS and the current issues by Nick Spencer and Ryan Ottley in ASM
    It's kinda annoying hearing about all the things that "don't work in the world". It just sounds like a reason to reinforce the status quo rather than move on from it.

You don't hear Dragon Ball fans talking about how out of place aliens were in the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It's kinda annoying hearing about all the things that "don't work in the world". It just sounds like a reason to reinforce the status quo rather than move on from it.

You don't hear Dragon Ball fans talking about how out of place aliens were in the universe.
    dragon ball is about aliens and also extremely mediocre
    Quote Originally Posted by ???
    The world has changed, and so have I.

It depends on how the fictional world is established. Dragon Ball has the grace to don't care about a cohesive worldbuilding. As such, it can play with different genres and elements without them being disruptive. It's different to other mangas where a setting is put and it evolves within the boundaries imposed by its narrative, like Death Note, Akira or Naruto, to name a few.

And, to be clear, I think you can bring elements that don't fit the overall narrative of a character and make them work, but Annual #5 isn't the case where that succeeded imo
    Last edited by Chubistian; 07-07-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    It depends on how the fictional world is established. Dragon Ball has the grace to don't care about a cohesive worldbuilding. As such, it can play with different genres and elements without them being disruptive. It's different to other mangas where a setting is put and it evolves within the boundaries imposed by its narrative, like Death Note, Akira or Naruto, to name a few.

And, to be clear, I think you can bring elements that don't fit the overall narrative of a character and make them work, but Annual #5 isn't the case where that succeeded imo
    You mean the "Red Scare" stuff aka "reason why most people look down on Iron Man's rogues gallery"?

To be fair, it wasn't meant to be part of some overall narrative; just an explanation as to what happened to his parents.

Incredible Member

Was reading some of the early Spiderman comics and Spidey's and his interaction with the Fantastic 4 and its quite surprising how many times he gets into fights with them over really minor stuff. Also Spideys strength seems to change issue to issue. In some only the Hulk is stronger and he has to be careful not to kill Flash in a boxing fight with it. Yet in others he's simply just very agile.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mauled View Post
    Was reading some of the early Spiderman comics and Spidey's and his interaction with the Fantastic 4 and its quite surprising how many times he gets into fights with them over really minor stuff. Also Spideys strength seems to change issue to issue. In some only the Hulk is stronger and he has to be careful not to kill Flash in a boxing fight with it. Yet in others he's simply just very agile.
    That's because Marvel loves having "heroes" fight one another. Many of them were deconstructions of classic hero tropes and thus just because they should act a certain way, doesn't mean that they would.

Part of that comes from plot dependance. It's like how in the Injustice video game, Bane plays like a big strongman character even though he's one of the weaker characters in the the game.

You mean the "Red Scare" stuff aka "reason why most people look down on Iron Man's rogues gallery"?

To be fair, it wasn't meant to be part of some overall narrative; just an explanation as to what happened to his parents.
    I meant Peter's father as a spy agent. I don't think it was a good backstory for Spider-Man, and only made worse by further writers (though this ain't Annual #5's fault). I could have spent my whole life not knowing what was the fate of Peter's parents

Quote Originally Posted by Mauled View Post
    Though sometimes forced, I like the frenemies relationship between Spider-Man and the Human Torch back then. Spider-Man' strength not only varies according to the story, but the Spider-Sense served whatever purpose the character needed to solve a crime or trap a villain in those times haha

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Having finally read Kraven's Last Hunt I'd like some perspective on it. Didn't wow me. Nice Art, solid writing and maybe without retconning a certain moment I might have liked it more.
    Kraven's Last Hunt isn't complete workout reading Soul of the Hunter IMO

Been reading PPSSM between issues 43 and 129. Mainly the Stern and PAD ones, but some select Mantlo too.

I settled on 49-52, 57-60, 72, 80, 85, 103, 107-110, 112, 113, 115-120, 123, 128 & 129 as the ones worth having from that series.

Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar

I read Ann Nocenti's two-part Typhoid Mary story in Spectacular Spider-Man #213-214. Nocenti talked about this to Chip Zdarsky in this interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuixJZ8KoXY) and identified it as a favorite of hers.

It's an interesting two-parter, and the interaction between MJ and Typhoid Mary is fascinating.

Not a very good story overall unfortunately.