Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071 LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1056

I just read Amazing Spiderman 23 The Goblin and The Gangsters. I have the cd rom with 500 Spiderman comics. I have read up to the mid 70's. But I just keep coming back to the early 60's. That is my favorite Era of Spiderman. I just cant get enough of them. I like them because the stories arnt very dark. I mean they are serious but not the dark and edgy stuff that comics seem to be going for.

May be I yern for a simpler time of Buggie rides and barn dances and light hearted comics. A time when the Goblins biggest goal was being a crime boss and there was no Serial Killing villain named Carnage.
    Last edited by babyblob; 09-14-2020 at 08:38 AM.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

It's AU time, first Ultimate Spider-Man by Bendis, i reread some arcs and went farther than the last time, 65 issues to be exact from the origin until Carnage. I definetly get why is so popular, but is really not my thing.

On the positive side the supporting cast is good and their dynamic is entertaining enougth, Bendis quirks are there, hut they aren't as annoying as they would eventually become (thougth there was a scene that really pushed it), Bagley's artwork is very good (still think that hid 90s stuff is better) and there are some pretty funny moments. I understand now why this Aunt May is so liked, Bendis push it a tad too far but is definetly better than most of her 616 counterparts.

For the negative, most of the villains suck or are at best aceptable, they do job for the most part. Some of the changes feel unecessary, like making MJ Peter's childhood friend, or the lack of focus on Flash and Harry (instead with get Kenny Kong *roll eyes*) and Venom is a cure for cancer gone hairwire?!....yeah somehow i found the alien more plausible lol. Many of these change feel less like a modernization and more as Bendis being different for the sake of being different.

Overall, is a solid title and is clear why is the most influential run on Spider-Man in the 2000s, but i still take The Spec cartoon over this as a modernization of the characther.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

The other AU is Renew Your Vows, more specifically Jody Houser's run and the Spider-Girl mini for Spider-Geddon.

This AU, never took the direction i wanted, my wish was an Spider-Man when he hapened to be a father and husband but i got Spider-Family instead and then mostly became an Annie book, plus how the screwed over what Conway wanted to do. Dissapointing, but in spite of that i did enjoy Houser's run, as i said i think that she put too much focus on Annie, so the dynamic stopped being Spider-Family and more Annie and Peter/MJ as supports, but it was still fun, Annie's arc for issue 13 to the mini was good and satisfying, i love that they confirmed that the Clone Saga happened and that Mayday sadly died in this reality (wich led to some good scenes in the Spider-Girls mini) and in spite of their reduced importance Houser's take on Peter and Mary Jane was pretty good, issue 19 was my favorite and i actually wouldn't mind seeing her writing 616 Peter. Plus in spite of the really weird premise i feel that the title did have the Spider-Man spirit overall.

As for the bad, the artwork was a downgrade, is not terrible but is not that good, especially after being Stegman's sucessor, Mister Sinister being the bad feels really weird no matter how foreshadowed it was, the last arc not being about clones (can't believe than that as negative lol) wich mean very little exploration about Peter and MJ (again too much focus on Annie) and Houser acting like Annie's spider-sense is secret or something, i'm pretty sure she told then about it at some point before this.

Also Spider-Girls, nice moments between Mayday and Annie, love the scene of MJ breaking down after seeing hee dead daugther alive and well, sucks that Peter didn't have a similar moment. Outside of that i don't care about whatever was happening, never read Spider-Geddon, probably never will.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Mighty Member

I always loved the miniseries "Spider-Man: With Great Power...".

It has all the trappings of a Spider-Man origin story without requiring Uncle Ben to die which I feel has become a crutch for a lot of writers that want to be serious.

Spider-Man_With_Great_Power..._Vol_1_1.jpg

I have just started the John Romita Sr era of Spiderman. I am very happy about that as I always liked him more then Ditko.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

Marvel Two-In-One Annual 2 (1977)

Jim Starlin has a very well balanced handle on the powers and abilities of Spider-Man, his handling of the character against Thanos and his army landed him as the acrobatic and agile strategist with strength to handle his minions, not rush into situations, and opt to cleverly release the Avengers (most importantly Thor) to stand a good chance in saving the universe from annihilation.

Pit this issue against...

Fantastic Four 250:

a Skrull pretending to be Nightcrawler took down Spider-Man in a battle that Spider-Man had the time and chance to release himself from captivity and turn the tide of battle in his favor. But I guess John Byrne was too used to drawing Spider-Man for Chris Claremont in Marvel Team-Up, who made sure that Spider-Man turns unconscious every so often.
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I have just started the John Romita Sr era of Spider-Man. I am very happy about that as I always liked him more then Ditko.
    I agree. 70s and 80s Spider-Man aren't too on the dark side of things though, Len Wein, Roger Stern, and Bill Mantlo had a good handle on the tone most fitting for the character.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

I read the last 3 volumes of the Ben Reilly epic, they were prettt good for the most part, except most of the Spider-Man Unlimited issues (really most of Spider-Man Unlimited suck) and the ending of the saga was awesome.

Well, that's a whole era of Spider-Man finished and that lasted 3 years, 94 was mixed with some good and really well done stories, like Web of Death, Lost Years and The Gift, but it also has a lot of meh/okish issues here and there. 95 mostly sucks, Maximum Clonage would probably be the worst Spider-Man story ever made if it wasn't for OMD and most of the New Warriors stuff feels unecessary, there are some nice moments here and there though, like when MJ feels the baby kicking for the first time. 96 is mostly good with some dark spots, like most of the team up issues (really just read the Gambit story is the only one worth remembering) and ignore the Punisher and Venom stories, but Web of Carnage and Blood Brothers are pretty great and so is Spider-Man Redemption.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Spider-Man: Blue. Such a great and moving story this is. It's one of the best Spider-Man stories ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Spider-Man: Blue. Such a great and moving story this is. It's one of the best Spider-Man stories ever.
    Probably in the top 100, IMO. Bought it along the rest with the "Marvel Knights: Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale: Yellow, Blue, Gray & White Omnibus", granted, not all of them are as cherishable, but I found a good offer on eBay for it.

double post

I'm reading my newspaper strips collection.

GUIA DE CORES SPIDER MAN.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Which Spider-Man comic do you own that's the most valuable? Mine would probably be the first printing of Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Spider-Gwen's debut. Issue went to four printings.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Which Spider-Man comic do you own that's the most valuable? Mine would probably be the first printing of Edge of Spider-Verse #2, Spider-Gwen's debut. Issue went to four printings.
    Hmmm

I have the first appearance of the black suit in ASM and I also have the first iron spider appearance. Those are probably the most valuable in my collection though I do have ASM 48 as the oldest in my collection.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), The Atom (Ray Palmer) , Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, & Ant-Man (Scott Lang).

Current Pulls: Daredevil, Amazing Spider-Man, Venom, Immortal Hulk, The Flash, & TMNT!

i read sins past
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    i read sins past
    My condolences.