Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Addict View Post
    I read One More Day over the weekend and...man, WTF.
    When editorial necessity clashes with good storytelling you get trash like OMD. What else can I say, it's just awful in execution.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    When editorial necessity clashes with good storytelling you get trash like OMD.
    I dislike it on so many levels...
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Spectacular Member

I just finished Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider Vol 1 - Back in the Hood. It collects Clone Conspiracy: Omega and #1-5. Overall it was... alright. I honestly would rather Spidey 2099 continue than have PAD move to a Clone Conspiracy spin-off, but with him and Bagley on these issues I expected more than what I got. I liked the conflict between Ben and Kaine, but it was incredibly forced how Ben got his old costume back (from memory, this was from the backlash when the new costume was revealed, right?). Giggled a bit at the Aunt June stuff to begin with, but after a few issues it became old. Rolled my eyes at the reveal of the connection between Cassandra Mercury and Thorne. Hopefully Vol 2 will be better...

I'm currently halfway through Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man Vol 1 - Into the Twilight, collecting the Free Comic Book Day 2017 issue and #1-6. So far I've got through FCBD and #1-3. I've been following a lot of the threads about this series and knew beforehand that the first few issues weren't too well received. Personally, I've enjoyed it so far. There's been several times I have thought Zdarsky was trying a bit too hard (some of the footnotes for one example), but it's been nothing offensive. If anything I've found it more fun already than any of the Worldwide run of ASM. I also knew beforehand that Teresa returned, but it is still nice to see her back - I definitely didn't peg a seemingly one-time character from a Marvel OGN to pop up in an ongoing series. I also like the dynamic between Peter and Johnny. Always enjoy seeing them together.

Spectacular Member

Continuing on from my earlier post, I just finished the first Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man volume. I had #4-6 left to finish it off. Really liking this series. "My Dinner With Jonah" (#6) is a fantastic issue. Can't wait for Vol 2.

I've just started Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows Vol 2 - The Venom Experiment, collecting RYV #6-12. I have read the first three issues so far. #6 and 7 ("School Daze") were alright, #8 ("The Venom Solution") has me intrigued, I'm curious to see how the rest of this story plays out. So far though, I am finding the same problem that I had with Vol 1 - I'm just not enjoying the overall vibe of this series. It comes off as a bit too juvenile for my tastes - I know it's necessary since it revolves around the Parkers as a family unit, but I guess I prefer my Spidey with a bit of drama too.

Read a bit from some spinoffs.

Venom (2016) #1-6: Not a fan of the art or the main character. It really comes across as a sanitized ripoff of the Top cow 90s character The Darkness.
    D

Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider #1-5: Solid art by Bagley. The series is rather unfocused (Reilly goes back to his classic costume in the third issue, He starts out amoral) although it is fun and readable. Kaine's a decent foe.
    B-

Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider #6-9: It's a step up in terms of writing and focus, as Reilly finally gets something that makes his unique and explains his prior characterization, while getting some decent challenges from the Slingers and Death.
    B
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The Death of Captain Stacy.
    It ends with one of my favorite issues #92.
    Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_92.jpg

So I'm reading old Spidey shit and I noticed this happening in ASM#47:

I can see the Goblin persona remembering this and thinking "Hey now, this gives me an idea..." lol.

Reading Amazing Spider-Man right after it relaunched from Superior Spider-Man. I’m really enjoying it!
    Also, found some early issues in the dollar bin of Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man and really enjoying those as well.

Venom #150-153: This is an odd transition for a book, getting the original lead back while maintaining the creative team. It's definitely an improvement, as Brock gets a potentially promising new direction.
    B-

Venom #154-158: The clash with Kraven and the art of Mark Bagley help make this a decent comic book.
    B

Marvel Team Up #12: The story has a decent set-up (Spider-Man goes to San Francisco to find Daredevil shortly after Gwen's death; gets attacked by a brainwashed Werewolf by Night) and threat.
    B

Daredevil #103: Okay but forgettable team-up at an interesting time (just after Gwen's death.)
    C
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I just read through "New Ways to Die" and I enjoyed it.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man #1-9, 12-17: After reading this, I can definitely see why an editor would hire Spencer for Amazing Spider-Man with the pitch of spoilers:
    making Peter Parker and Boomerang roommates.
    end of spoilers It's a fun series about B-list supervillains screwing one another over, and getting caught in a gang war that isn't out of place in the Marvel Universe.
    A
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Recently read through Dan Slott's Spider-Man/Human Torch mini-series, holy crap was that good!
    Each issue represented their respective Spidey eras perfectly, and I love just how unique it feels, showing the growth these characters' experienced over the years. Not to mention just all around enjoyable, funny, and even heartwarming.
    Special attention to Ty Templeton's whose art is a major stand out for the book, it's amazing just how well he is able to emulate the different art styles for every issue.

It's no wonder this man would go on to write Spider-Man for 10 years, considering just how good his first story turned out.
    Current Reading List: Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Sonic The Hedgehog, Absolute Carnage, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man, Gwenpool Strikes Back, Runaways, The White Trees

This:
    612rinrGs7L._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    Some beautiful art!

Astonishing Member

I read recently#

Great stories and art.
    This TPB just keeps getting better untill issue 200th (It collects ASM#193-200)
    Contains a great centenary issue,and have some of my favorites stories with the Kingpin and Mysterio.
    Have been way to long since i read these stories,and i totally forgot how great those stories were.

Just finished reading Shed... Yeah, the notoriety of this story is well-deserved. An utter practice in poor taste.

Aside from the fact that Connors have been pointless tormented over the years for the mere sake of bringing the Lizard back, an old and formulaic villain I'm frankly more than tired of, aside from the tasteless implications of sexual violence, aside from the very dumb "Lizard Brain/Monkey brain" nonsense, the biggest problem I have with this arc is children being killed off for the mere sake of plot-device. That's not what I read Spider-Man for, and I don't like how the only point of this entire fiasco that I could find is to pull out some platitude about human nature being savage, a platitude that isn't even explored thoroughly because the entire arc was more busy with throwing shock factor after shock factor.

2/10. Very little to like about this arc. The sub-plot and character development for Carlie is the only redeeming feature.