Page 30 of 81 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Was this your first time reading it, or reading it since its completion?
    I read the first three issues a few years back. First time reading all the others.

Carnage USA #1-5: Nicely illustrated clash between symbiotes that shows the impact a maniac like Carnage can have an ordinary civilians. Covers the same ground as many other Carnage stories, though.

Marvel Team-Up #100: Spider-Man VS The Fantastic Four by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller. Also has the introduction of the New Mutant Karma.
    This might be the best issue of Marvel Team-Up ever, as Spider-Man is possessed by a mutant and pit against the Fantastic Four. The situation is dramatic (although the Vietnam references are a bit dated) and the little details are very well-realized.
    A+

Marvel Team-Up #125: In which Spider-Man is a horndog towards Tigra. It's fun, but sometimes over the top.
    B+

Marvel Team-Up #127:
    A nice Christmas story with the Watcher, as Spider-Man struggles to save the life of a person connected to Aunt May's friend. Also has the introduction of Joe Face, the stoolie whose funeral kicked off Kraven's Last Hunt.
    A-

Marvel Team-Up #128: Spider-Man's first encounter with Vermin. This issue says meaningful things about Spider-Man and Cap, although their temptations are a bit ham-handed, and it kicks off with an unusual coincidence.
    B+

Marvel Team-Up #129: This team-up between Spdier-Man and Vision gets to DeMatteis's silly side, as robots deal with intolerance and question their place in the world.
    B+

Marvel Team-Up #130: Nice art by Sal Buscema. I'm a sucker for team-ups where Spider-Man's out to avenge someone, and the threat is impressive. There are also some interesting consequences to the last issue.
    A

Mythos: Spider-Man- Gorgeously illustrated origin retelling. Not a necessary comic by any stretch of the imagination, given many superior versions of the origin, but Rivera's art is fantastic.
    B+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Some more..

Carnage (Conway/ Perkins) #1-8: It starts off pretty well, with the first volume kind of a monster story with an interesting team (including Eddie Brock, John Jameson and a former victim of Cletus Kassidy) hunting down Carnage. There's a supernatural twist that's kind of fun, but it's starting to get a bit repetitive.

Amazing Spider-Man
    #151-152:
    Wein and Andru's first arc excels in the little moments, although I like the challenges and how Spidey operates.
    A

Amazing Spider-Man
    #153:
    Probably the best regarded Wein/ Andru story for good reason. It's more someone else's story, although that guy is rather well-developed for a one-off character.
    A+

Amazing Spider-Man
    #157-159:
    This story's growing on me. There are some ridiculous moments (Doc Ock throwing a trash can at a helicopter) but the art's gorgeous as Andru highlights his ability to show a New York City that looks real, the challenges are often impressive, and many of the little moments are captured well.
    B+

Marvel Team-Up #59-60: This Claremont/ Byrne two-parter is likely their best, as D-list villain Equinox gets a decent origin, and Spider-Man has to help a founding Avenger through the apparant trauma of losing a spouse.
    A+

Marvel Team-Up #67: Likely the best Claremont/ Byrne one-parter (on MTU at least.) It's a nastier take on Kraven than I'm used to pre-KLH, as he makes Spider-Man a pawn in a conflict with Tigra.
    A+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Some more..

Carnage (Conway/ Perkins) #1-8: It starts off pretty well, with the first volume kind of a monster story with an interesting team (including Eddie Brock, John Jameson and a former victim of Cletus Kassidy) hunting down Carnage. There's a supernatural twist that's kind of fun, but it's starting to get a bit repetitive.

Amazing Spider-Man
    #151-152:
    Wein and Andru's first arc excels in the little moments, although I like the challenges and how Spidey operates.
    A

Amazing Spider-Man
    #153:
    Probably the best regarded Wein/ Andru story for good reason. It's more someone else's story, although that guy is rather well-developed for a one-off character.
    A+

Amazing Spider-Man
    #157-159:
    This story's growing on me. There are some ridiculous moments (Doc Ock throwing a trash can at a helicopter) but the art's gorgeous as Andru highlights his ability to show a New York City that looks real, the challenges are often impressive, and many of the little moments are captured well.
    B+

Marvel Team-Up #59-60: This Claremont/ Byrne two-parter is likely their best, as D-list villain Equinox gets a decent origin, and Spider-Man has to help a founding Avenger through the apparant trauma of losing a spouse.
    A+

Marvel Team-Up #67: Likely the best Claremont/ Byrne one-parter (on MTU at least.) It's a nastier take on Kraven than I'm used to pre-KLH, as he makes Spider-Man a pawn in a conflict with Tigra.
    A+
    I really liked Wein's first year on ASM (his later stories less so with the exception of the GG III arc); those stories you mentioned are all very good ones. To be sure, they each have hokey moments and read as a bit dated but there is a charm and warmth to each of them. Andre's art is, of course, sensational throughout.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    I always find this a bit overrated, too. Good, obviously, but when it comes to stories about Spider-Man not giving up against impossible foes drawn by John Romita, I prefer Coming Home with him vs Morlun. Lotta of exciting action, big emotional moments when he calls Aunt May, heroic sacrifices by Ezekial, and Peter beats him using brain AND brawn, not just sheer stubbornness as Juggernaut just so happens to walk into cement.

Also, I HATE Madame Web, so her being in danger does nothing for me.
    Thirding this. A good story, for sure. But I think because I was marathoning the whole series it had a lot less impact on me. The Madness of Mysterio, my pet underrated Spider-Man comic, did the whole "Spider-Man never gives up" story so well I just didn't need it again.

Marvel Team-Up #82-85: One of the series' most epic storylines, as Claremont brings a conspiracy involving Silver Samurai to its conclusion, balancing that story with Peter trying to help an amensiac Black Widow. Offhand, I can't recall a better Black Widow story.
    A

Amazing Spider-Man #630-633: Shed. A brutal story that is about something and pushes Spider-Man to his limits.
    A+

Cloak and Dagger
    (mini-series) #1-4:
    It reads more like the first issues of a monthly title than a mini-series, as there isn't much of a character arc or ending. It's a solid start for a spinoff about heroes who deal with human threats and the consequences of their actions as well as the way they got their powers.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Marvel Team-Up #82-85: One of the series' most epic storylines, as Claremont brings a conspiracy involving Silver Samurai to its conclusion, balancing that story with Peter trying to help an amensiac Black Widow. Offhand, I can't recall a better Black Widow story.
    A

Amazing Spider-Man #630-633: Shed. A brutal story that is about something and pushes Spider-Man to his limits.
    A+

Cloak and Dagger
    (mini-series) #1-4:
    It reads more like the first issues of a monthly title than a mini-series, as there isn't much of a character arc or ending. It's a solid start for a spinoff about heroes who deal with human threats and the consequences of their actions as well as the way they got their powers.
    I've said it many times before and I will say it again: those Claremont stories in MTU belong on just about any list of best Spidey tales ever told. Other than the fact that it wasn't a "flagship" title, there is no reason they shouldn't be collected, reprinted and included on best of lists.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I've said it many times before and I will say it again: those Claremont stories in MTU belong on just about any list of best Spidey tales ever told. Other than the fact that it wasn't a "flagship" title, there is no reason they shouldn't be collected, reprinted and included on best of lists.
    It may very well be Claremont's best work outside the X-books.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

It may very well be Claremont's best work outside the X-books.
    No question in my mind; it is.

aka "The Watchdog" 8BitRedBeard's Avatar

I'm just about finished with The Gauntlet Vol 1. I must say that I am somewhat disappointed because it isn't what I thought it'd be, it's Spider-Man so I guess I can't complain too much.
    "With great power comes great responsibility."

Amazing Spider-Man #172-173: Molten Man's problems are a bit repetitive (Conway did a similar story), although this story is elevated by the debut of the Rocket Racer, the emotional stakes for Harry, and the complication of Peter getting shot by a cop, to say nothing of Ross Andru's art.
    B+

Amazing Spider-Man #174-175: Really nice art, and a challenge for the Punisher when he's revealed to have a connection to a B-list spiderfoe. Also worth it for the kidnapped Jonah, and Harry's breakdown.
    B+

Amazing Spider-Man #698-700: "Dying Wish" holds up really well, due to the combination of big (one of the biggest twists in the series' history, as well as some of the greatest danger Spider-Man has ever been in) and little moments.
    A+

Superman VS. The Amazing Spider-Man: I've got some quibbles (the first 30+ pages are devoted to Superman VS Lex, and Spider-Man VS Doc Ock, stuff we could get in the regular books) but it's a gorgeously illustrated (oversized Ross Andru) team-up which does treat some of the big moments right. It's a very important comic, but it's okay in terms of quality rather than great.
    B
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #98-100: The introduction of the Spot, and the break-up of Spidey and Black Cat had some good moments, but I just didn't care for Milgrom's storytelling. There's a lot of bronze age exposition that prevents this from being a pleasant read.
    C+

Superior Spider-Man #1-3:
    These are mostly one-offs, although it's united by Stegman's art and the Vulture's machinations. Fun opening as Spider-Man's powers are in the wrong hands, and Otto learns how to be a hero.
    A+

Superior Spider-Man #4-5:
    The return of Massare makes for a dark story that explores how Peter and Otto tic. Good stuff.
    A

Superior Spider-Man #6:
    Decent one-off as Otto overreacts for characteristic reasons to joke villains.
    A

Superior Spider-Man #7-8:
    Slightly unfocused as Otto overreacts to a vigilante, and deals with the Avengers, while realizing what's going on with Ghost Peter. Still interesting and enjoyable.
    B+

Superior Spider-Man #9: The battle for Peter's mind makes for an excellent Round Two in the larger story. Stunning visuals by Stegman.
    A+

Superior Spider-Man #10: Possibly the best single issue of Superior Spider-Man, as Otto ups his game.
    A+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Hey everyone! I kinda forgot this thread existed, or I'd have posted my thoughts on Slott's Amazing/Superior run here instead of creating a new thread! But oh well! I just hope, for those who already haven't, that you'll join me as I read through the majority of Slott's Spidey comics!

-Pav, who is really enjoying them...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I read Joshua Hale Filakov's Alpha miniseries. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Andrew Maguire and never quite got the hate.

I enjoyed it. The last issue is a bit rushed, and Filakov leaves several plot threads dangling (presumably in the hopes that Alpha would catch on and get an ongoing).

Personally, I'd like to see him return. Seems like Peter would still take an interest in him, given that Spock undid Peter's undoing of his powers.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I read Joshua Hale Filakov's Alpha miniseries. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Andrew Maguire and never quite got the hate.

I enjoyed it. The last issue is a bit rushed, and Filakov leaves several plot threads dangling (presumably in the hopes that Alpha would catch on and get an ongoing).

Personally, I'd like to see him return. Seems like Peter would still take an interest in him, given that Spock undid Peter's undoing of his powers.
    Not liking Alpha is kinda the same problem as Regent. Characters who are overpowered but lack real depth or importance in the story.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie