Page 11 of 81 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Marvel Knights Spider-Man mini-series #1-5
    The Matt Kindt/ Marco Rudy mini-series probably rates as an interesting failure. The art is gorgeous, they've got Peter Parker's voice right, and there are some great moments, but the overall story with Spider-Man facing most of his major faces just doesn't deliver.
    C+

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man Annual #5
    Some interactions between Spidey and Jean take an added poignancy given where her story's going. Ace isn't a particularly memorable addition, and I could see why the art trend evident here isn't remembered. There are some interesting questions on how Spider-Man can do the right thing with difficult problems (gang violence.)
    B

Web of Spider-Man #11-12
    Read this, because it might lead into Death of Jean Dewolfe. It's an interesting story about Peter Parker becoming a famous vigilante, even if it is quite disjointed with three credited writers (Fingeroth plotted Act 1, Mantlo wrote it, PAD wrote Part 2.)
    B

Amazing Spider-Man #16.1-20.1
    Spiral. I quite liked it.
    A

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #107-110
    Hadn't read this in a few years. Still one of the best Spider-Man stories ever. Very ambitious project for Peter David, at that point in his first year as a comic book writer. But he pulled it off.
    A+

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #112
    The resolution to the Evil Santa subplot. Okay story about Peter almost missing opportunities to spend time with loved ones.
    B+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I recently re-read Amazing Spider-Man 559-561, which is the Paper Doll arc in BND. I love Marcos Martin's art style, and I think the visuals are absolutely gorgeous. I'm more mixed on the story. On the one hand, I feel like Peter Parker would take the job as a paparazzo under the situation that he was in, but I don't think it would've taken him as long as it did to realize his wrongdoings. It's a mixed bag for me; there are pros and cons throughout it.
    “Marvel Fan Rave Podcast” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and more.

Figuring I may as well read the rest of the comics that came out during PAD's Spectacular Spider-Man run.
    Amazing Spider-Man #262- Bob Layton fill-in most remembered for the photographic cover. There's some tension in the search for a guy with a photo of Spider-Man unmasked, but it's kinda dull.
    C

Amazing Spider-Man #263- This is one of two Defalco issues in a six issue stretch. Combines a humorous situation (Doc Ock's biggest fan from Spectacular #72 wants to be Spider-Man's sidekick) with personal difficulties (Liz Allen's difficult childbirth.)
    B+

Amazing Spider-Man #264- Another fillin. Silly story about Spider-Man trying to do the right thing with a cantankerous old coot despite bureaucracy and a teen supervillain.
    B-

Amazing Spider-Man #265- It's a bit surprising how little Silver Sable interacts with Spider-Man in her first appearance.
    B+

Amazing Spider-Man #266- The first of two Peter David fill-ins. Funny story about wannabe sidekicks.
    B+

Web of Spider-Man #6/ Amazing Spider-Man #268- The two parts of the crossover are tonally off. The ASM issue is stronger by a lot. The exploration of the chaos when Beyonder turns a building into solid gold is interesting, although this does have one of Spider-Man's biggest dick moves when he prevents someone else from making a fortune, before doing something selfish himself.
    B-

Web of Spider-Man #8-9: Michelinie's debut. Interesting that it feels clusmier than Peter David's work, even though he was the veteran writer. He tries to do a serious story about a retired small time superhero, but it just doesn't come across very well.
    B-

Web of Spider-Man #10: Standlone Dominic Fortune story. They've got a solid dynamic.
    B

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #113: Another Death of Jean Dewolff follow-up with the return of the teens May's boarder shot. Probably one of the better single issue stories at the time that tried to raise big moral questions, partly because of the way certain events progressed logically, so there wasn't Spider-Man's random encounter with a pressing social issue.
    A

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #114: It's a bit weird that this fill-in came out in this title, at around the same time PAD wrote an issue of Web. It is a better fit in terms of subject matter, as a flawed crook and a flawed cop become better people.
    B

Web of Spider-Man #13: One of the best clashses between Jonah and Spider-Man, and perhaps one of Peter David's top five Spider-Man stories. The reasons Spider-Man is pissed at Jonah are sensible, and there's more to the inciting incident that meets the eye. And a story about how Jonah screwed up ends with a reminder that he does a lot of things right.
    A+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Stacy View Post
    Did anyone read Spider-Man/Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do? I am curious what you thought of it and the subject matter therein
    Except for a few annoying parts (I just don't believe Felicia could incapacitate Spider-Man like she does on the rooftop), I thought this was a good read. Everyone complains about the story shift towards the end, but Felicia was being contrasted to the villains of the piece, Garrison and Francis Klum, a rapist and rape victim. I was always hoping to see more of Francis Klum as Mysterio, but nobody besides Peter David ever used him after this tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Web of Spider-Man #11-12
    Read this, because it might lead into Death of Jean Dewolfe. It's an interesting story about Peter Parker becoming a famous vigilante, even if it is quite disjointed with three credited writers (Fingeroth plotted Act 1, Mantlo wrote it, PAD wrote Part 2.)
    Great story, and I think Web Of #13 by PAD is a nice postscript to this arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #113: Another Death of Jean Dewolff follow-up with the return of the teens May's boarder shot. Probably one of the better single issue stories at the time that tried to raise big moral questions, partly because of the way certain events progressed logically, so there wasn't Spider-Man's random encounter with a pressing social issue.
    This is an remarkable issue--full of tension, Peter as a capable Spider-Man, and some wonderfully crafted art by Bob McLeod.

Recently read Amazing Spider-Man: Peter Parker: The One and Only, collecting AMS 700.1-700.5.

I was pleasantly surprised by this series. All the stories brought back a feeling I haven't had for a long time. Simple stories that don't have world wide or multi-dimensional consequences. The writing was great, I stayed glued to the book, the stories captured my imagination from the beginning. The art was good to great, simple, and effective. This was just what I needed. Five stars out of five.

All-New Member

Finally returned to reading Spider-books again after a long hiatus since I dropped it. Heard that Marvel finally listened to the complaints of the fans and decided to pander or placate them by releasing "Renew Your Vows". And it's pretty well-written. I kinda enjoyed it... even though there were some elements that still feel like subtle sucker punches to the fans' constructive criticisms ("This is why we can't have nice things.").

Also read Millar's Marvel Knights: Spider-Man a short time before that. This was when Millar was still writing semi-decent stories before the whole Civil War/Kick-Ass edgy-fiesta. Reread the first four issues, and they were not bad. Had a few intelligent deconstructions of Spidey's life and the lives of his villains in them. That's pretty admirable.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-02-2015 at 05:25 PM.

All Spider-Women comics are very fun.

Been reading a mix of Spectacular and Web of Spider-Man stories lately. I don't think I could ever get tired of reading Owl/Octopus Gang War. That story has it all.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderNerd View Post
    I recently re-read Amazing Spider-Man 559-561, which is the Paper Doll arc in BND. I love Marcos Martin's art style, and I think the visuals are absolutely gorgeous. I'm more mixed on the story. On the one hand, I feel like Peter Parker would take the job as a paparazzo under the situation that he was in, but I don't think it would've taken him as long as it did to realize his wrongdoings. It's a mixed bag for me; there are pros and cons throughout it.
    This is one of my favourite Spider-Man stories. Marcos Martin's artwork is a genuine game-changer, and Paper Doll and Screwball are two of the most fresh Spider-Man villains to be introduced in recent years.

Amazing Spider-Man #269-270: The infamous fight with Firelord. Some major similarities with "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut" make it clear that DeFalco is trying to do his version of that story. I like Spider-Man's strategy and concern for civilians. I'm pretty sure Spidey shouldn't have been able to beat Firelord, but it's to DeFalco and Frenz's credit that I'm not a hundred percent sure.
    B+

Amazing Spider-Man #271: Possible DeFalco's single best issue. Peter and May's relationship is strained while someone from the first Spider-Man comics make a reappearance. The bad guy isn't a major challenge, but works to lull Spidey into a false sense of security before the sucker punch ending.
    A+

Amazing Spider-Man #272: Slyde's not going to go down as one of the great Spider-Man villains, although that wasn't the point. It's a solid one-off about Spider-Man feeling very underappreciated.
    B+

Peter Parker Spider-Man #20-21: Quieter stories of Peter dealing with the aftermath of his greatest loss (that time he thought MJ was dead.) I remember being so excited when these comics came out, because someone good was writing Spider-Man. Buckingham's also a great fit for Jenkins, as the two reveal new details about one of the series' most important characters, and .
    A

Spectacular Spider-Man Volume 2 #14: Beautiful painted art by Paolo Rivera. Great take on Spidey through the eyes of someone whose lot in life is seemingly worse. Perhaps I should be bothered by the transformation of Morbius into something different than he's ever been in the comics.
    A
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Some great Team-Up stories:
    613fGnh1kEL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bonbon View Post
    You can start from Brand New Day. It's not exactly the start of Slott's run since there also other writers, but it's a good starting point. Plus, there are few issues written by Mark Waid which I think worth the read
    What are the trades between Brand New Day (1-3) and Big Time? And are any of them worth skipping?

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Recently read Amazing Spider-Man: Peter Parker: The One and Only, collecting AMS 700.1-700.5.

I was pleasantly surprised by this series. All the stories brought back a feeling I haven't had for a long time. Simple stories that don't have world wide or multi-dimensional consequences. The writing was great, I stayed glued to the book, the stories captured my imagination from the beginning. The art was good to great, simple, and effective. This was just what I needed. Five stars out of five.
    I've recently bought this and only just finished reading it. I really enjoyed it too. "Frost" and "The Black Lodge" were my favourites. I got stuck into this book just after reading Maus, so it was nice to read something short, snappy and easy going!

Continuing the Defalco/ PAD era with a Clone Saga detour.

Amazing Spider-Man #273/ Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #111: I like how Defalco ties the Puma to the Beyonder, although the main narrative was kind of forgettable.
    B

Amazing Spider-Man #274: This more apocalyptic take on the Beyonder is less interesting.
    B-

Amazing Spider-Man #275-276: Repetitive but solid Hobgoblin story, and I didn't really care for the twist. I did like it when Peter revealed his origin to MJ.
    B

Amazing Spider-Man #277: Two solid stories, including a gorgeously illustrated story about Spider-Man fighting a blizzard (although the references to the Wendigo are a bit weird since he's a Hulk character) as well as a Born Again tie-in, in which Spidey pays a visit to the Kingpin during the events of the greatest Marvel comic.
    B+

Amazing Spider-Man #278: Interestign enough ethical dilemma for Peter while one of his friends is in the pokey.
    B

Amazing Spider-Man #400:
    The death of Aunt May. Very moving, although some of the Clone Saga tie-ins are better than others (Ben Reilly's decision to leave is powerful.) It's weird that DeMatteis has become so narration-heavy when he was one of the writers who did decompression before it was cool.
    A

Spider-Man #57/ Spectacular Spider-Man #223:
    Decent bridge between events as MJ meets Ben Reilly, and Peter deals with the aftermath of his arrest, while considering his limited options.
    B+

Extras: All three issues included some nice splash pages, as well as a prologue to the Lost Years mini-series about Ben Reilly after the events of Amazing Spider-Man #149. I didn't care for Lost Years, but this was pretty good.
    A-
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Got my Peter Parker: Spider-man - Back In Black hardcover out, which I hadn't read in awhile. It consists mostly of issues by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa.

Sensational Spider-man Vol 2 #35 - 37 - the three-part Dr. Calvin Zabo / Mr Hyde story. Basically Zabo, after finding Peter is Spider-Man after the Civil War unmasking, is injecting orphan teens with an enzyme that gives them Spider-Man-like powers (hey, it's like #Spider-Island years before #Spider-Island), but also causes them to mutate into spider-creatures. Zabo is testing whether the kids would choose a life of crime or responsibility with the powers, and of course, his other half Hyde comes out to fight Spider-Man. I liked this story even more upon re-reading it, and Sacasa really nails the horror vibe here.

Sensational Spider-man Vol 2 #38 - 39 - two-part "The Last Temptation of Eddie Brock". A cancer-ravaged Eddie Brock finds himself in the same hospital as Aunt May, who has just been hit by the stray bullet from Kingpin's sniper. His not-so-better half spends most of the story trying to goad Eddie into killing May. The story has great atmosphere, and Eddie's struggle with Venom in his head is very creepy and well done. Elsewhere, Peter, Mary Jane, Anna Watson and Madame Web hold a seance where Aunt May's spirit tells Peter to let her go.

Sensational Spider-man Vol 2 #40 - Peter's taking some aggression out on an alley dumpster when he's approached by a Christ figure, who shows him all the people he's saved over the years. There's an uncomfortable question hanging over this issue, Sacasa's last on the title, before the third part of OMD comes next issue. Did good or evil prevail in what Peter chose to do? It's a question that remains unanswered, but this was a great issue all in all.

I think Sacasa's run on Sensational was brilliant.
    Last edited by Metamorphosis; 09-17-2015 at 07:21 AM.