Page 12 of 81 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Been reading lots of Spidey lately.

Currently in the middle of Return of the Burglar where Spidey is fighting Kingpin. I've read some of the FACADE story and he just seems like a strange villain. Like, he's not evil, but he's addicted to using the battle armor. I dunno. Kinda annoyed it was never revealed who the guy in the armor was, though I think it's that Archer guy. Most of the later Web of Spider-Man stories seem a bit odd. I thought Web of Spider-Man #47 was pretty cool. It was basically Hobogblin pursuing Harry for the goblin serum, with all of the inanimate objects beginning to attack the city. I guess this was the beginning of the Inferno saga in the Spidey books. Might as well finish that.

After not having read ASM since the 90's (when I collected all of the Spider titles since the 80's, including Amazing, Spectacular, Web, and the adjective-less "McFarlane" title), I recently completed collecting and reading all ASM issues from the beginning of JMS's run to the latest issues of Slott's run, including RYV.

So, about 15 years of comics in a few months. Highlights have been the first half or so of JMS's run (I especially liked Peter as a teacher; did not like Sins Past, OMD, or the Other storylines), most of the Big Time run (a return to "fun" spider-man writing for me), most of the Superior arc (this arc brought me back, and I thought the concept was great), and RYV (yay spider-marriage!). I didn't care much for most of the Brand New Day run except for a few stories (ex. the Rhino and Lizard stories come to mind along with a few others); the return of Harry Osborn seemed pointless to me, and the random writers (or "spider brain trust" as they were called) didn't flow well for me. I may give it a re-read sometime though to see if my opinion changes.

I also read the complete "Peter Parker" Ultimate Spider-Man through Death of Spider-Man prior to reading ASM, and I thoroughly enjoyed that run (though Bendis's decompressed style took some getting used to). It was nice to see Bagley's (improved) art after seeing his work on ASM in the 90's.
    Last edited by Gnarlly; 09-15-2015 at 11:52 AM.

I just picked up Sinister Spider-man so I'll probably read that tonight

Amazing Spider-Man #126: Conway gets some mileage out of a lame bad guy (Kangaroo) thanks to Spider-Man's difficulties after Gwen's death.

Amazing Spider-Man #127-128: The main villain is kinda silly, and Peter's really self-righteous. Some good tension/ sequences.
    C+

Amazing Spider-Man #129: It could be that the Punisher stuck around because his first appearance is really good.
    A+

Amazing Spider-Man #136-137: I'm a big fan of DeMatteis's Green Goblin saga, but it's interesting how much of the character was cemented in this first appearance, as the new Green Goblin represents a different threat to Peter. He doesn't have any goal other than revenge.
    A

Web of Spider-Man #14-15: Michelinie's second story features a few of his favorite tricks (multiple bad guys, an appearance by the Black Fox, and an entirely new bad guy- Chance.)
    B
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Finally got around to reading ASM #400 after the suggestion from Mets.

This story honestly made me tear up a bit because it was a very emotional story. No fighting, no Spidey jokes, just great insight into the relationship of Peter and May. It's funny how despite knowing that this Aunt May was technically a clone, we all know that she was the real Aunt May in the story. Easily one of JMD's best stories ever.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man #126: Conway gets some mileage out of a lame bad guy (Kangaroo) thanks to Spider-Man's difficulties after Gwen's death.

Amazing Spider-Man #127-128: The main villain is kinda silly, and Peter's really self-righteous. Some good tension/ sequences.
    C+

Amazing Spider-Man #129: It could be that the Punisher stuck around because his first appearance is really good.
    A+

Amazing Spider-Man #136-137: I'm a big fan of DeMatteis's Green Goblin saga, but it's interesting how much of the character was cemented in this first appearance, as the new Green Goblin represents a different threat to Peter. He doesn't have any goal other than revenge.
    A
    Hey, these are all comics I read recently as well! Although for me, I've been reading them for the first time as I try to catch up on ASM.

I'm up to ASM #146 as of tonight. I've really picked up the pace, but I'm not enjoying Conway's run very much right now. There are a lot of issues here that are just completely forgettable, or extremely silly.

Incredible Member

Currently reading the Death of Gwen Stacey. It's still fantastic story that holds up, lol even if the art style is pure 70's

Re-Reading Superior Spider-Man, then going to re-read the current volume before the new volume starts.

just reread marvel knights spider-man.. perfect spidey book IMO

i feel like i reread every other month. just incredible

The one written by Millar, right?

Yeah, it almost seems like it would be a good movie. That story is unbelievable.

BANNED

^ It's a great work, and I'm about due for a re-read.

Same. That's one of the stories I can keep reading without growing bored of it. The artwork, dialogue, and atmosphere are as good as it gets.

I've not read any Spider-man by Millar. Is this the book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1905239386?

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I've not read any Spider-man by Millar. Is this the book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1905239386?
    Yes, all Millar's run is in this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Saga View Post
    Yes, all Millar's run is in this book.
    Thanks. I've added it to my wishlist