Page 21 of 81 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    This issue is certainly one of my favorites.
    It is pretty great, and a rare memorable Web Of issue.

The party scenes and dialogue are hilarious too, I couldn't even write up everything from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    It is pretty great, and a rare memorable Web Of issue.

The party scenes and dialogue are hilarious too, I couldn't even write up everything from it.

[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VMe5w4sMZCQ/TD_BJasZGvI/AAAAAAAADAw/CDqIXhzF_FI/s1600/38-1.jpg[IMG]
    If I remember correctly, this is the last issue before Inferno event.
    Can't wait to see what you have to say about the early Demogoblin stuff.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    If I remember correctly, this is the last issue before Inferno event.
    Can't wait to see what you have to say about the early Demogoblin stuff.
    Well, the issue after this is Nicieza's Looter issue mentioned above. Then it's Peter David's "Cult Of Love" 4-parter (a highly underrated arc), a few fill-ins, then Inferno in Web Of #47 - 48.

I did read those Web issues for the first time just a few years ago, and I can't say they were too memorable (I liked the Mysterio installment of Inferno far better in ASM). There was simply nowhere for Macedale to go from here but down, it seems. Though I did really like what McFarlane did with the demonic Macendale Hobgoblin in Spider-Man #6 and #7.

This is sort of related to reading plans, but I've been meaning to reverse engineer a comic (Read it closely, and write what I assume to be the script for it based on the visuals and the dialogue.)

Two stories I've meant to do this with are The Night Gwen Stacy Died, and Unscheduled Stop, the former because it's the best Spider-Man story ever, and the latter because it's a great example of modern storytelling.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Well, the issue after this is Nicieza's Looter issue mentioned above. Then it's Peter David's "Cult Of Love" 4-parter (a highly underrated arc), a few fill-ins, then Inferno in Web Of #47 - 48.

I did read those Web issues for the first time just a few years ago, and I can't say they were too memorable (I liked the Mysterio installment of Inferno far better in ASM). There was simply nowhere for Macedale to go from here but down, it seems. Though I did really like what McFarlane did with the demonic Macendale Hobgoblin in Spider-Man #6 and #7.
    Yep Spider-Man #6-7 with Ghost Rider were pretty twisted. McFarlane definitely went with the tortured kid angle early on, cuz "Perceptions" was next. I liked it slightly better. Oh, "Cult of Love" was good too. Wish they would have done more with the leader that knew Parker was Spidey.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by frizb View Post
    Yep Spider-Man #6-7 with Ghost Rider were pretty twisted. McFarlane definitely went with the tortured kid angle early on, cuz "Perceptions" was next. I liked it slightly better. Oh, "Cult of Love" was good too. Wish they would have done more with the leader that knew Parker was Spidey.
    McFarlane making Macendale a twisted, disfigured religious freak who wanted to "save" people by killing them was a slightly better motivation than him just trying to keep ramping up his powers. That, and him trapping his victims in the green goo and pods a'la Alien really worked with McFarlane's art style.

Probably the closest Spider-Man ever got to being a horror title. Which is why I'd love to see how Greg Capullo would tackle Spider-Man nowadays, for a similar sensibility.

I did finally read all of "Perceptions" a few years back, and it---wasn't all that bad. Maybe went on a few parts too long. The plot was interesting. McFarlane was basically trying to write Spider-Man like an Alan Moore horror comic.

McFarlane making Macendale a twisted, disfigured religious freak who wanted to "save" people by killing them was a slightly better motivation than him just trying to keep ramping up his powers. That, and him trapping his victims in the green goo and pods a'la Alien really worked with McFarlane's art style.

Probably the closest Spider-Man ever got to being a horror title. Which is why I'd love to see how Greg Capullo would tackle Spider-Man nowadays, for a similar sensibility.

I did finally read all of "Perceptions" a few years back, and it---wasn't all that bad. Maybe went on a few parts too long. The plot was interesting. McFarlane was basically trying to write Spider-Man like an Alan Moore horror comic.
    Yea it probably could have been done in 3 issues. Wolverine was pretty baddass in it though. Wedigo reminded me of the abominable snowman from Rudolph. Lol. Capullo would be interesting. Would we see a Spider-cave?

Web of Spider-Man #84-89 - So starting off 1992 we have Mr Mackie and Alex Saviuk taking over as the regular Web team. "The Name of the Rose" is a 6 pt story that doesn't drag at all. We have Richard Fisk, Kingpin, a new Rose, Hobgoblin and Macendale's separation from the Demogoblin. Fisk lierally grows into his fathers role as Kingpin in this one. We also end up with the Blood Rose. Lots of little plot twists keep this very entertaining. Loved it!

Spider-Man Unlimited #1: The first part of Maximum Carnage is a bit mixed. There's a lot going on in Peter's life (including the funeral of his best friend) before he gets into a nasty fight with some bad guys. The cliffhanger's pretty good. DeFalco's take on Carnage is more silly than menacing. The back-ups are better with Mark Bagley depicting Cardiac during a fight with cops (possibly Terry Kavanagh's finest scripting effort), and an inventory story by Mike Barr and Jerry Bingham getting to what makes Spider-Man tic when Peter Parker suddenly wakes up as a high student with May and Ben still alive.
    B+

Edge of Spider-Verse #2: A success on pretty much every level. Probably the finest "pilot" in the Spider-Man comics since Amazing Fantasy #15.
    A+

Uncanny X-Men #346: Spider-Man and Jonah stumble into the events of the X-Men books in an issue that seems devoid of X-Men. It works pretty well as a standalone, with great art by Joe Mad with Spider-Man trying to impart the lesson of power and responsibility to an angry mutant, while Jonah encounters the big bad of the X-Men comics.
    A-

Tangled Web #5-6: Great standalone about what drives the Rhino. First time I read it I was disappointed that the high concept (Rhino gets smart) wasn't reached until the second part, but the first part gives a great take on what it's like moment to moment for the Rhino, who needs his heart broken before he takes a major risk. I can definitely see why it's on "Best of" lists.
    A

Trial of Venom one-shot: Good one-shot with a solid plot involving an A-list Spider-Man foe, and the differences between Spider-Man and Daredevil, something Peter David had explored very well before.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I finished Maximum Carnage.
    C (The best issues were Spectacular Spider-Man 201 and 202; The worst issues were Web of Spider-Man 102 and Amazing Spider-Man 379.)

Also read...
    Marvel Team-Up #101: A fill-in issue by JM DeMatteis, who would go on to have a longer run an year later. He has a good take on Spider-Man's voice, as Spidey gets involved in a story that's very personal for guest-starr Nighthawk (from DeMatteis's run of Defenders.) There's also a back-up story about Nighthawk by Steve Ditko, as the hero's weakness kicks in at the worst possible moment.
    B

Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #3: Good debut for a new villain (the Ultimate version of Mysterio) which gives Spidey a small win, while also keeping the bad guy intact for the inevitable TPB length showdown. The private plot is excellent as Peter and MJ deal with the aftermath of an awkward discussion on a topic that hadn't been depicted in series about a teenage Spider-Man. Energetic art by Lafuente.
    A
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I finished Maximum Carnage.
    C (The best issues were Spectacular Spider-Man 201 and 202; The worst issues were Web of Spider-Man 102 and Amazing Spider-Man 379.)

Also read...
    Marvel Team-Up #101: A fill-in issue by JM DeMatteis, who would go on to have a longer run an year later. He has a good take on Spider-Man's voice, as Spidey gets involved in a story that's very personal for guest-starr Nighthawk (from DeMatteis's run of Defenders.) There's also a back-up story about Nighthawk by Steve Ditko, as the hero's weakness kicks in at the worst possible moment.
    B

Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #3: Good debut for a new villain (the Ultimate version of Mysterio) which gives Spidey a small win, while also keeping the bad guy intact for the inevitable TPB length showdown. The private plot is excellent as Peter and MJ deal with the aftermath of an awkward discussion on a topic that hadn't been depicted in series about a teenage Spider-Man. Energetic art by Lafuente.
    A

Those JMD-penned issues of MTU, much like Stern's run on PP:SSM, fly curiously under the radar. Both runs house some true gems though both may pale a bit in comparison to their respective ASM counterparts.

Green Goblin #1-4: I just read the first few issues of the Tom DeFalco/ Scott McDaniel spinoff. It's a great fit for McDaniel's art style, and Phil Urich definitely has a unique character voice. They even get a good story from the Scarlet Spider mini-series when Phil tries to hook up with a hot chick involved in the "Great Game." Bonus points for consistently interesting single issue stories, although the writing is sometimes a bit dated (and probably was at the time.)
    B+

Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four #1-4:
    Mainly an excuse for Mike Wieringo to have some fun, which makes it a decent comic. The antagonist might not justify a full mini, although Jeff Parker does have the voices of the characters down pretty well.
    B

Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 2 #1-6: Fun arc, but a bit all over the map with multiple narrative threads (the introduction of the Bombshells, the new Mysterio, Peter's house becoming a boarding house for young superheroes, the Shroud) that don't mesh well together. Art's great, and it remains consistently entertaining.
    B+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 2 #7-8: Fun relatively light story where a young kid gets powers, and briefly freaks out before realizing how it's awesome.
    B+

Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 2 #9-10: This seems to be some deck-cleaning, as Kitty Pryde is the victim of changes to the Ultimate universe. It's still powerful to see her freak out in the face of major injustice.
    A-

Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 2 #11-14: The Ultimate Chameleon is introduced, and messes up Peter's life in interesting ways. Bonus points for making this story quite consequential.
    A-

Ultimate Spider-Man Volume 2 #15: The uncomfortable epilogue to the story in which the Chameleon hurt Peter's supporting cast.
    A

Ultimate Spider-Man #150: The Ultimates wonder what to do with Peter and recall their interactions with this, along with clashes with Mangog, Ultimatum and Whiplash (all making their Ultimate Universe debuts, (I think.) It's a well Bendis has explored before, although it does set up the Death of Spider-Man pretty nicelty
    B+

Batman & Spider-Man: Dematteis's follow-up to his first crossover. These may just be the most underrated things he's done. This one may have his funniest Spider-Man, probably because that makes for a better contrast with Batman. It's a story with high stakes that also happens to be about something (hope & despair) and makes good use of the bad guys (Kingpin & the Al Ghuls.)
    A

Spider-Gwen #0: Includes Edge of Spider-Verse #0 which is excellent. But the bonus includes one of most interesting scripts I've seen, partly because the final result is slightly different. There are some changes to the dialogue, even in stuff that gets callbacks later.
    A+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

The Spiderverse was great although I had a strong desire for a crossover with Multiversity seeing Jessica Drew & the Spidergirls (May,Gwen,and Silk) team up with Mary Marvel would be great. I have been readiing Amazing Spiderman & Spider Woman
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Ultimate Spider-Man #151-154: Shows how fun the title is even at its most disposable. It's still a decent read, with some impressive characterization and set pieces.

Ultimate Spider-Man #155: Solid lighter issue between two TPB length arcs (especially considering the significance of what's coming next.)
    B+

Peter Parker Spider-Man #27-28: Fantastic two parter from Jenkins and Buckingham as Spider-Man faces a difficult moral quandry at a tough time in his life.
    A+

Untold Tales of Spider-Man
    #17:
    A one-off set when Hawkeye was a bad guy gives the young Spider-Man an interesting challenge, pitting him against an enemy he thinks is a decent person.
    A+

Untold Tales of Spider-Man
    #21:
    Really good X-Men team-up set during an interesting period of the Lee/ Ditko run.
    A
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets