Page 3 of 81 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    This...is fair. He has seen other versions of Gwen, though his reaction to seeing all those other versions has been pretty similar (shock and emotional turmoil), it's an excuse for him to take it better. And I'm not saying all I want is crying and holding. I mean, again, impossible, but I know in that situation all I'd want to do (besides, well, you know) is sit there and listen to her talk about whatever. I'm just saying I want some moment of emotional turmoil.
    Well the thing is Ultimate Gwen doesn't know that 616 Gwen is dead. They both avoided anything dreary. Which I liked because it was Peter being happy, considering at the same time in the 616 he started acting really aggressively.

I don't think there's anything he could have said to make it better...but I also think he would have tried. And again, the fact they aren't together is in some small way a comfort. Romantic story lines are about finding "the one", and even in real life we fall for that narrative. It's one of the reasons why OMD doesn't work. But from an in-universe perspective, Peter can use that fact to point out that hey, I wasn't your one, because even when I lived you and I didn't work out. Maybe it wouldn't help, probably it wouldn't help, it certainly wouldn't help in the immediate, but it might be of comfort to her in the future, as she's more likely not to think that that was the one and she missed it.
    I liked it because it showed that Peter is still hung-up on MJ. Because he could've said that to Ultimate MJ so she could be ok, but even he doesn't want to say those words out loud. So when I said Peter saw another another reality where he and MJ didn't work out at the end, it affected him more cause he still thinks they have a chance, even though he sees something that makes it harder for him to believe it. (This was happening same time Peter and MJ were becoming closer)

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    I want drama, and Slott doesn't do drama. And what you point out is worth noting. How much latitude Bendis had to work with in Spider-Men was going to be limited by the fact someone else was writing the main book. But yeah, Spider-Verse actually just makes me afraid of all the ways Slott's going to mess it up. Spider-Gwen especially.
    Spider-Gwen will be fine. It's cashing in on the popularity of Emma Stone, after all.

As for Spider-Men 2, I wonder what he's waiting on. I mean, not saying it had to already happen, but I do wonder if he's waiting for the Amazing story to be in a certain place, or the Ultimate Story to be in a certain place. Also, the natural assumption for the sequel is for Miles to visit the 616 universe, but....that seems far less interesting to me than the other way.
    Bendis announced that he had gotten approval after they announced the end of Superior. (Plus Bendis has other comics to write beyond Ultimate Spider-Man. He's got two X-Men books, Guardians of the Galaxy, and his creator owned stuff.)

This...is fair. He has seen other versions of Gwen, though his reaction to seeing all those other versions has been pretty similar (shock and emotional turmoil), it's an excuse for him to take it better. And I'm not saying all I want is crying and holding. I mean, again, impossible, but I know in that situation all I'd want to do (besides, well, you know) is sit there and listen to her talk about whatever. I'm just saying I want some moment of emotional turmoil.
    Ultimate Gwen is also about 16. Some people might think it creepy for Peter to react as you seem to think he should have.

I don't think there's anything he could have said to make it better...but I also think he would have tried. And again, the fact they aren't together is in some small way a comfort. Romantic story lines are about finding "the one", and even in real life we fall for that narrative. It's one of the reasons why OMD doesn't work. But from an in-universe perspective, Peter can use that fact to point out that hey, I wasn't your one, because even when I lived you and I didn't work out. Maybe it wouldn't help, probably it wouldn't help, it certainly wouldn't help in the immediate, but it might be of comfort to her in the future, as she's more likely not to think that that was the one and she missed it.
    Ah, OMD. The gift that keeps on giving.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Well the thing is Ultimate Gwen doesn't know that 616 Gwen is dead. They both avoided anything dreary. Which I liked because it was Peter being happy, considering at the same time in the 616 he started acting really aggressively.
    See I come at it from the opposite angle. I like fun stuff just fine, but the fact they avoided all the serious stuff is what I both expected and what is disappointing to me. I want that serious stuff too.

I liked it because it showed that Peter is still hung-up on MJ. Because he could've said that to Ultimate MJ so she could be ok, but even he doesn't want to say those words out loud. So when I said Peter saw another another reality where he and MJ didn't work out at the end, it affected him more cause he still thinks they have a chance, even though he sees something that makes it harder for him to believe it. (This was happening same time Peter and MJ were becoming closer)
    Of course he's still hung up on her. She's his wife. =p

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Spider-Gwen will be fine. It's cashing in on the popularity of Emma Stone, after all.
    It's not death I fear (though considering Slott's track record with unimportant female characters...) it's the "hyuk-hyuk" Spider-Man interacting with Spider-Gwen that I fear.

Bendis announced that he had gotten approval after they announced the end of Superior. (Plus Bendis has other comics to write beyond Ultimate Spider-Man. He's got two X-Men books, Guardians of the Galaxy, and his creator owned stuff.)
    I mean it could just be that he's busy, of course. I simply wonder ifthere might be more to it than that.

Ultimate Gwen is also about 16. Some people might think it creepy for Peter to react as you seem to think he should have.
    She's a physically adult woman, not a pre-pubescent little girl, but I'm not saying he should attempt to jump her bones, that's not the point. I just want something on the inside freaking out a little bit and wanting to say things and what not, and he can have reason take over and say "I shouldn't do this it only makes things harder for her" or "this isn't my Gwen apologizing to her makes no difference" or whatever. I just wanted SOME emotion in there.

Ah, OMD. The gift that keeps on giving.

It's generous like that.

Amazing Spider-Man 157-159: I didn't think much of the Doc Ock VS Hammerhead's ghost three parter when I read it earlier in the year, but a few posters in the old board listed it as one of their favorite stories of the 1970s. I checked it out again, and it may not be quite that good, but it's better than I gave it credit for. There are some things I'll quibble with (the take on Ock is pretty wimpy) but it's generally a solid story with gorgeous art by Andru. It does highlight Wein's tendency to take advantage of specific cool things about New York City (IE- keeping track of Ock's rampage) and it generally excels in the quips and smaller moments.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man 157-159: I didn't think much of the Doc Ock VS Hammerhead's ghost three parter when I read it earlier in the year, but a few posters in the old board listed it as one of their favorite stories of the 1970s. I checked it out again, and it may not be quite that good, but it's better than I gave it credit for. There are some things I'll quibble with (the take on Ock is pretty wimpy) but it's generally a solid story with gorgeous art by Andru. It does highlight Wein's tendency to take advantage of specific cool things about New York City (IE- keeping track of Ock's rampage) and it generally excels in the quips and smaller moments.
    It's probably Wein's second best Spidey arc after the Green Goblin III story. I also quite liked "The Longest Yard" as a one-and-done.

After reading ASM #280-281, I realized the awesomeness of the Sinister Syndicate. This story was really good. I always seem to enjoy any of the Spidey stories with Silver Sable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Turlast View Post
    After reading ASM #280-281, I realized the awesomeness of the Sinister Syndicate. This story was really good. I always seem to enjoy any of the Spidey stories with Silver Sable.
    Definitely one of my favorite arcs, everyone and especially Sandman is so badass in this story. Some great Hobgoblin / Jack O' Lantern moments too. So much packed into two issues! And it flowed perfectly.

I may even go as far to say that for me, this was DeFalco's best work on ASM.

Yeah, it really was a complete story, despite only being two issues. The Sinister Syndicate was a pretty unique team. Were they in any other Spider-Man stories?

I still have yet to read a good amount of DeFalco's ASM. The only other stories I've read were the Alien Costume Saga and some story with the Black Fox. So I have to read more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Turlast View Post
    Yeah, it really was a complete story, despite only being two issues. The Sinister Syndicate was a pretty unique team. Were they in any other Spider-Man stories?
    They showed up in the Deadly Foes of Spider-man miniseries. I only read the second issue, can't remember if it was the same team configuration from ASM 280-281.

And yeah, DeFalco did some great stuff on ASM. His early Ben Reilly issues in ASM were really solid.

My local library apparently approved and sent out the Lee/Ditko omnibus. I managed to snag it enough to read the 1st ten issues and the FF annual.

It was a bit fun. The narration boxes slowed me down a bit but the stories were still interesting. Art was classic but not one I'd reread.

Peter was also a bit of a jerk in those first issues. Bit of a surprise for me. And seriously, hitting on a woman in a committed relationship? Really Pete? It was also weird to see Betty Brant be the first girlfriend. Wasn't he sixteen or so in that time? Seeing Doc Ock's first appearance was cool along with Vulture.

Overall the Lee/Ditko was a good read for a first time reader. I'll see if I can get it back again and finish it off.

Other than that I'm reading the current SM2099. Peter David's writing is fun but I'm a bit worried that it has now netered spiderverse. This happened to the Nu52!Superboy and it brought the quality down hard.

Here's hoping it goes well.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    My local library apparently approved and sent out the Lee/Ditko omnibus. I managed to snag it enough to read the 1st ten issues and the FF annual.

It was a bit fun. The narration boxes slowed me down a bit but the stories were still interesting. Art was classic but not one I'd reread.

Peter was also a bit of a jerk in those first issues. Bit of a surprise for me. And seriously, hitting on a woman in a committed relationship? Really Pete? It was also weird to see Betty Brant be the first girlfriend. Wasn't he sixteen or so in that time? Seeing Doc Ock's first appearance was cool along with Vulture.

Overall the Lee/Ditko was a good read for a first time reader. I'll see if I can get it back again and finish it off.

Other than that I'm reading the current SM2099. Peter David's writing is fun but I'm a bit worried that it has now netered spiderverse. This happened to the Nu52!Superboy and it brought the quality down hard.

Here's hoping it goes well.
    I think a couple of things have been lost to the annals of time.

1) Betty is part of Peter's class before she drops out. I think it explicitly says this, but lots of people look at her working at the Bugle and assume she's older. But she's really not supposed to be. She's a teenager as well, just a drop out because her mother got sick and they needed the money. Now days you would not/could not do what she did, but this was written in 1963, after all.
    2) Who was in a committed relationship? I don't think anyone outside of perhaps Peter and Betty are in that sort of relationship in the Ditko run, and I think this is one of those things where dating was just done differently back then. Now we like to call dibs and treat every relationship as exclusive, but I think back in the day you could go on a date or even multiple dates without it being considered serious.

Spectacular Spider-Man #176-177

This was a two-parter by Kurt Busiek (filling in between Conway and Dematteis) and Sal Buscema. There are some nice twists in a story about an arrogant power-mad industrialist, and a woman he has infected. The stakes are pretty high, when a contagious disease gets involved, and members of the supporting cast are infected. Sometimes, the storytelling's a bit weird. There's one moment where a major beat occurs in the narration but not on the art. It doesn't make the story bad. It could have been better.

Worth hunting down for glimpses of Harry Osborn as he starts to go a little mad.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Just got all the volumes of the clone and Ben Reilly saga, started on them. Also plan to re-read Slott's whole run starting with Big Time to see if I can see where he started building to the brain switch and also plan to read JMS and buy the Rodger Stern omnibus. Never read Stern before but hear it's amazing. My friend told me it's better than Michiline/McFarlane and that would be hard to beat
    Last edited by Darth Kal-el; 11-01-2014 at 09:12 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    Never read Stern before but hear it's amazing. My friend told me it's better than Michiline/McFarlane and that would be hard to beat
    In terms of sheer writing chops, plotting and characterization, Stern's run is one of the best. I think Michelinie / McFarlane is only better in terms of sheer spectacle and for the use of nearly all the major Spider-man rogues.

Either way, you simply have to read the Stern run.

I think I posted already either in this thread or another--the most recent comics I've been reading were PAD's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man trades. This series was fantastic, really. Proof that PAD can write a good to great Spider-man story probably 9 times out of 10, no matter what the status quo at the time is. The Mysterio taking over Peter's school story after the identity reveal is probably the height of this run. The Vulture story was pretty damn good. Even the "Jumping the Tracks" time travel stuff came off better on a second read. I've read through to the end of Back In Black and the end of this series, but I need to pick up that final trade (pretty sure it was collected along with JMS' Back In Black issues). Anyway, just great stuff all around, with some fine art by Wieringo and Nauck and others. The Iron Spider costume was kinda badass.

Still also reading through "The Ultimate Spider-man" collection of short stories. I skipped ahead to the last story (also by PAD), called "Five Minutes", set during the marriage era, and is a fantastic exploration of Peter and Mary Jane, the dynamic of their marriage and Peter's Spider-man obligations. Classic PAD really, he writes everyone including MJ and Joe Robertson so on the money. I would wholly recommend this short story anthology to everyone, there's some nice stuff in here.

I am continuing to plow through the old PP:SSM series and just completed up to issue #71, which is IMO one the greatest (yet underrated) issues ever, the gun control issue written by Bill Mantlo "With This Gun….". This is truly one of the best one-and-done issues in Spidey history and also comes at the beginning of Bill Mantlo's second (and much better) stint on PP:SSM which also includes the first (and best) Cloak & Dagger appearances, a great Boomerang/Kingpin story, the epic Ock/Owl gang war and some great artwork by Ed Hannigan who, while he admittedly was aping a young Frank Miller, still designed some dynamite covers around this time (1982) and had the first interiors that took Spidey a little darker and grittier. Just a great time for this title and why I wish Marvel would start offering these old PP:SSM issues digitally.