Page 44 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

I have been revisiting some of the DeFalco/Frenz run of ASM from the mid-1980's and I really think that was one of the great runs for this title. It followed the great Stern/JRJR run and didn't really feel like much of a letdown from that lofty position at all so that alone is a pretty ringing endorsement. But, re-reading those issues---in particular the Firebird 2-parter and the underrated Crusher Hogan one-off, they really hold up remarkably well and DeFalco really mastered writing both Peter and Spidey at what I consider to be the perfect age: a 20-something who is no longer a rookie/kid but not so experienced that he should be rubbing shoulders with Thor and Cap without feeling a sense of awe. Moreover, he also captured Spidey's sense of humor without cringe-worthy jokes and nonstop one-liners during battle; overall, just a wonderful time for the title and character. Not even the lukewarm Secret Wars II crossover and later botched Hobgoblin "reveal" could ruin this period.

Spectacular Spider-Man #189: Excellent showdown between Spider-Man and one of his most painful enemies. Great storytelling by Buscema.
    A+

Amazing Spider-Man #346-347: Solid showdown between Spider-Man and Venom in a new environment which keeps the rematch novel.
    B

Nova #12/ Amazing Spider-Man #171: I reread this because it came up in a discussion of the worst Spider-Man comics (I might have mentioned it.) There are some clever moments, but it's a murder mystery with limited impact on the family member of the deceased, and just not an interesting Spider-Man story.
    D

Peter Parker Spider-Man #44-47: It's a flawed clash between Spider-Man and the Green Goblin, but it has its moments and is legitimately about something. It's overrated when it pops up on lists of the best Spider-Man stories, but it's not bad.
    B

Spider-Man: The Lost Years #1-3: The crime saga is a bit derivative, and makes the mini-series a bit too busy, but the art by Romita Jr is great, and it's an interesting challenge for Ben Reilly.
    B

Spider-Man: Redemption #1-4: If anything, this story shows why Kaine was Ben Reilly's archenemy, as he makes an effort to destroy Ben's life, just as Ben is reunited with the woman he loves. Solid but not great.
    B
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I recently received and read through the Roger Stern and David Michelinie/Todd McFarlane omnibuses and I must say: THAT is some classic Spidey right there. I'm still holding out hope that omnibuses featuring the works of J.M. DeMatteis and Gerry Conway will be released some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    I recently received and read through the Roger Stern and David Michelinie/Todd McFarlane omnibuses and I must say: THAT is some classic Spidey right there. I'm still holding out hope that omnibuses featuring the works of J.M. DeMatteis and Gerry Conway will be released some day.
    I wish I could "receive" a copy of this! I'm desperate for a reprint of it.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I wish I could "receive" a copy of this! I'm desperate for a reprint of it.
    You can order it off of Amazon as I did, but it isn't cheap. It certainly made for a great birthday gift.

Astonishing Member

I have been reading :

What if:30 (Vol:1) - A interesting story with ideas,that were used in the Clone Saga of the 90s.But not the best over all in terms of plot and art.It is impressive with how stories from this series have been later on developed in stories of the regular Marvel Continuity. (5/10)

Prowler:3 - A solid story and art wise very well ilustrated.A ongoing story that is heavily linked with the Clone Conspiracy storyline. (6/10)

Clone Conspiracy:3. For sure a great storyline,The stories keep improving and art is awesome as usual by Jim Cheung.This will be a story that i am looking forward to get in TPB. (9/10)

Amazing Spider-Man:22. A story that continues right after Clone Conspiracy:3.And a very good story as well.The revelation of Jackal being actually Ben Reilly is explained in this story. (8/10)

Venom:1 and 2.The most recent Venom ongoing is diferent that previous comic books of Venom and thats something that makes the new host of Venom a interesting new character.Looking forward to read more stories of this ongoing.Art wise is quite good as well. (7/10)

Incredible Member

I've been recently re-reading through JMS's run on ASM. I just finished issue 40-45. While I didn't really care for the character of Shade, I really enjoyed the character of Caryle and his battles with Doc Ock. I also love JMS's characterization of Peter, MJ, and Aunt May. I think how he represents them is fantastic and really kept me invested during the Shade issues when I didn't care about the main arc as much. Also, JRJR's art during these issues is stunning.

I finished Lizard: No Turning Back today. Didn't enjoy this as much as I'd hoped. Struggled to get through it to be honest.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

I read Carnage #1-16.

It's a solid horror comic, building on three Spider-Man villains (Carnage, Eddie Brock, Man-Wolf) and people caught up in the fight between them. It takes a demonic turn, although it gets there logically, and says some interesting things about the characters.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Fantastic Member Spiritualcramp's Avatar

Yeah, I loved it and the Lovecraft homage/the art. Its a shame it got canceled as it was one of the first Marvel titles I read that got me further into comics in general, it will always hold a special place for me even though in the grand scheme of things it was just a short run of issues. I'm currently just going through the Spiderman back catalog reading an issue where he has to explain to MJ for the 547675567567 time that he's a crimefighter/she's not just some option in his life, and Otto is fighting this young Tech guy in a hotel who has an updated version of his suit. Its good so far and its always great to see Doc Oc! I feel like I should be going further into Spidey's more iconic stuff like Kraven's hunt, but I'm just perusing through random issues for now.

BANNED

I recently re-read Another Fine Mess (Spectacular vol. 1 #185) and I must say; that may be one of my favorite Spidey stories of the 1990s. J.M. Dematteis has always been one of the best Spider-Man writers out there and tales like this remind me of why. Not only is he great at writing serious, psychological stories (Kraven's Last Hunt and Best of Enemies most notably), but he is also very adept at humorous, one-off romps like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    I recently re-read Another Fine Mess (Spectacular vol. 1 #185) and I must say; that may be one of my favorite Spidey stories of the 1990s. J.M. Dematteis has always been one of the best Spider-Man writers out there and tales like this remind me of why. Not only is he great at writing serious, psychological stories (Kraven's Last Hunt and Best of Enemies most notably), but he is also very adept at humorous, one-off romps like this one.
    Yeah, JMD is on many lists of best Spidey writers ever for exactly that reason; I also feel his stories hold up really well as opposed to some others that seem dated quickly. He is easily in my Top 5 and maybe Top 3 of all time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Yeah, JMD is on many lists of best Spidey writers ever for exactly that reason; I also feel his stories hold up really well as opposed to some others that seem dated quickly. He is easily in my Top 5 and maybe Top 3 of all time.
    DeMatteis is actually my favorite Spider-Man writer after Stan Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualcramp View Post
    Yeah, I loved it and the Lovecraft homage/the art. Its a shame it got canceled as it was one of the first Marvel titles I read that got me further into comics in general, it will always hold a special place for me even though in the grand scheme of things it was just a short run of issues. I'm currently just going through the Spiderman back catalog reading an issue where he has to explain to MJ for the 547675567567 time that he's a crimefighter/she's not just some option in his life, and Otto is fighting this young Tech guy in a hotel who has an updated version of his suit. Its good so far and its always great to see Doc Oc! I feel like I should be going further into Spidey's more iconic stuff like Kraven's hunt, but I'm just perusing through random issues for now.
    I think Carnage came to a natural end. Keeping it going indefinitely wasn't going to work with that narrative.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

For some reason Comic Kingdom opted to upload a Hagar the Horrible strip in place of their usual update to the ASM daily. Comments section was a riot to read.