Page 47 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member Spiritualcramp's Avatar

Spiderman # (30) -Return to the Mad dog ward

Revenge of the Sinister Six was a lot of fun, they made Doc Oc OP in that run. He soloed the Sinister Six, beat Peter to death, was soloing Ghost Rider and other heroes, all while just standing around. Would love to see Adamantium arms Ock in a movie someday!

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man Volume 2 #1-3: I like Kubert's art, and the writing is often fun, but the book is often too ridiculous in the depiction of Spider-Man. It's as if they turned the main frame of reference for the character is Bendis' New Avengers.
    B-

Spectacular Spider-Man #137-138: Conway's return to the series is pretty solid. The new militant Tarantula is different from the old, but a nice nod to the past. The John Walker Cap shakes things up, but has his own story. It gets political, with immigration raids and South American freedom fighters, but in an appropriately messy way.
    B

Spectacular Spider-Man #139-142: With the introduction of Tombstone, Robbie Robertson gets one of the best arcs any Spider-Man supporting character ever had. These four issues are probably the highlight of Conway's 80s return.
    A

Spectacular Spider-Man #143: An epilogue tying up loose ends with the Punisher (while also introducing some new villains).
    B+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I finished Superior Spider-man OHC Volume 3 today. Very much enjoyed it. Loved all the goblin stuff towards the end and Otto handing back the reins to Peter was touching. Great stuff.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Peter Parker Spider-Man #1-4: This collected the digital story by Bob Gale and Pat Oliffe. It's a decent look at some of the people caught in Spider-Man's world, as he becomes a proxy in a fight between young activists and a vapid celebrity. It's low stakes, but fan.
    B

Peter Parker Spider-Man #5: A standalone story by Tom Peyer and Todd Nauck starts out as something we've seen before (an amnesiac Spider-Man trying to figure out his identity) but is elevated by the sacrifice made by a civilian who gets involved in the mess.
    B

Bullet Points #1-5: Solid TPB-length What If? exploring a world where an assassin's bullet takes out Erksine and Ben Parker in the early days of World War 2, and we see the consequences of that, including Peter Parker swapping identities with another Marvel icon. Tommy Edwards has a very appropriate muted style for the volume.
    B+

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that there was a criminal named Pete Parker in a 1940s Superman comic strip by Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel, though he met a violent end.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Starting at the beginning.
    Can't go wrong there.
    shopping.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Can't go wrong there.
    shopping.jpeg
    Wouldn't the ASM Epic Collection Vol. 1 be a better way to go for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Can't go wrong there.
    shopping.jpeg
    Be sure to take food/bathroom breaks along the way! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I own this I don't own the Epic Collection. So I will have to say NO!

I recently read again the drugs saga and the two part story where Gwen died and then the three next issues which I had never read before where Spidey faces Luke Cage and Man Wof (The son of JJJ). Good stuff by Conway. Also, I read again the first Harry as Green Goblin story. I owe every previously mentioned issue in different editions from Mexico, Spain and France.

I just bought the Epic Collection that has the first half of Lee and Ditko's run via Amazon, so I'm very anxious to receive it soon and give it a read, I've some single issues reprints from that run, but I want to have it all alongside the next years of Lee in the title alogside Romita sr and Gil Kane, so I have a long way to go
    Last edited by Chubistian; 09-26-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Honestly, it's roughly equivalent. The next volumes are easy enough to obtain whatever way you go for it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Been reading a lot of different Hobgoblin stuff lately. Reading the origin for like the 50th time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Honestly, it's roughly equivalent. The next volumes are easy enough to obtain whatever way you go for it.
    Okay. I thought the Masterworks were out of print and in black and white, as opposed to Epic Collections being in print and full color, which to me would say that the latter are the better way to go. Of course, I'm collecting the ASM Epic Collections, and it can be pretty easy to assume that what you're doing is what everyone else should be doing, too.

Okay. I thought the Masterworks were out of print and in black and white, as opposed to Epic Collections being in print and full color, which to me would say that the latter are the better way to go. Of course, I'm collecting the ASM Epic Collections, and it can be pretty easy to assume that what you're doing is what everyone else should be doing, too.
    The Essential collections were black and white.

The Masterworks collect about ten issues each, while the Epic collections collect about 19 each.

The first Spider-Man Masterworks was first collected in 1987. The Epic collections kicked off in 2014.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The Essential collections were black and white.

The Masterworks collect about ten issues each, while the Epic collections collect about 19 each.

The first Spider-Man Masterworks was first collected in 1987. The Epic collections kicked off in 2014.
    Okay.

Looked a couple up. If the Masterworks are about ten dollars more than the Epic Collections, that makes the latter look like a better deal, even factoring hardcover vs. softcover.

Okay.

Looked a couple up. If the Masterworks are about ten dollars more than the Epic Collections, that makes the latter look like a better deal, even factoring hardcover vs. softcover.
    Not when you get them cheap at a local used book store,
    Like I did a few years ago,