Page 5 of 81 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's odd how litlte attention this story got, as the follow-up to the Death of Spider-Man arc a few years back.
    If Marvel wasn't planning on giving the character his own title back, not really that odd.

Some of the fight scenes dragged a bit, especially when it became clear what Osborn's weakness was.
    My sentiments exaclty.

Two rather important characters died without much notice. In the last issue, everyone's parents seem to have secrets. A subplot about imposter Spider-Men has some fun scenes, but doesn't really go anywhere.
    Did they? When you've shoot them in the head before, you can't expect the audience to hold their breath the second time.
    As for the impostors, while subplots don't necessarily have to go anywhere, the fact that I don't even remember how that played out, means it probably should've been handled differently.

I'm conflicted on this one. It was certainly well-told. Bendis excels in humor and the character interactions. The art was great. It just might not be a story worth telling.
    I'm not that conflicted, best Spider-Man title on sale right now.

The ending to the arc was a little trite, I felt. Plus it didn't provide a good sense of closure for anyone. But the rest of the arc was great.

It just felt like set-up for something coming down the road. It certainly played off our expectations as readers. I think we all suspected there would eventually be a Miles Morales vs. Norman Osborn story. (But why do "Norman" and "Peter" get to come back, but Harry stays dead?)

BANNED

Dematteis and Yost Scarlet Spider material, mostly. But also the underrated (but thematically heavy) Dematteis/Sal Buscema run. This ran before the Clone Saga but man was it gripping. Sal Buscema`s storytelling was so polished!

Just re-read through "The Other" trade paperback as I'd not read it for some time. hasn't really chanfed my opinion of it to be honest, the second half is a bit of a tedious slog, despite it starting out well it just loses it's way a bit towards the end. Morlun seems a lot more powerful now with a better fleshed out character and motivation. although i did notice during "The Other" Morlun does tend to not really bother with Jessica Drew at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Brit View Post
    Just re-read through "The Other" trade paperback as I'd not read it for some time. hasn't really chanfed my opinion of it to be honest, the second half is a bit of a tedious slog, despite it starting out well it just loses it's way a bit towards the end. Morlun seems a lot more powerful now with a better fleshed out character and motivation. although i did notice during "The Other" Morlun does tend to not really bother with Jessica Drew at all.
    Well, she was a Skrull.

ahhhh that would explain that then.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Brit View Post
    ahhhh that would explain that then.
    If you didn't know Spider-Woman was a Skrull at the time, I take it you didn't read Secret Invasion.

(Jarvis was also a Skrull. Which makes the Jarvis/Aunt May relationship read MUCH differently.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    If you didn't know Spider-Woman was a Skrull at the time, I take it you didn't read Secret Invasion.

(Jarvis was also a Skrull. Which makes the Jarvis/Aunt May relationship read MUCH differently.)
    Nope didn't read secret invasion at all. and Now I'll never look at that relationship in the same way ever afain. poor May, Doc Ock then a Skrull. and people thing Peter gets a rough deal.

Spectacular Member

I'm reading ASM #46. Started reading ASM from the beginning.. Its crazy! lol Good stuff but quite dated at times.. The one thing I don't really like about them is how much Peter can be a whiner at times. The whole thing with Betty was pretty bad too.

The Death of Capt. Stacy
    The Death of Gwen Stacy
    The whole Len Wein run. My favorite run on the book after Stan.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Reading Spider-Man 2099. Its uncanny how the old series compares with the new series in terms of tone, dialogue and the voices of the various characters. PAD really has these characters in his head, and I hope the new run lasts at least as long as the old run.
    Ditto. I just reread the first 25 issues and I think I enjoyed it even more this time around, if that's possible. It's a shame that series had to go down with the rest of the 2099 titles in World of Tomorrow. Stupid Bankruptcy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I'm reading ASM #46. Started reading ASM from the beginning.. Its crazy! lol Good stuff but quite dated at times.. The one thing I don't really like about them is how much Peter can be a whiner at times. The whole thing with Betty was pretty bad too.
    I started doing this as well for the second time. The first time was a long time ago and I didn't remember a lot, so this time I'm actually writing paragraph summaries of the issues as I go, including a short sentence on what I liked / didn't like about the issue to refer back to in the future. I'm a little ahead of you, on #62 with that.

But I also started an additional read through with the wedding and up simultaneously because I couldn't wait to get to that era. There are some cool moments that I missed like Peter almost getting a dream job in Kansas and MJ struggles with the idea of leaving her modeling life and all her friends but decides to pack her bags for Peter in the end. However, Peter decides to return to college last second for MJ so he can get any job and stay in New York. Really touching moment.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 11-18-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I started doing this as well for the second time. The first time was a long time ago and I didn't remember a lot, so this time I'm actually writing paragraph summaries of the issues as I go, including a short sentence on what I liked / didn't like about the issue to refer back to in the future. I'm a little ahead of you, on #62 with that.

But I also started an additional read through with the wedding and am going up from there simultaneously because I couldn't wait. There are some cool moments that I missed like Peter almost getting a job in Kansas and MJ struggles with the idea of leaving her modeling life and all her friends but decides to pack her bags for Peter in the end. However, Peter decides to return to college last second for MJ so he can get any job and stay in New York. Really touching moment.
    I'm doing even less writing on it then you. I put the issues on a spreadsheet, put the writer/artist down, date, villian (if there is one) and a note or two about something that happens..Like Osborn/Green Goblin finding out Spider-man's identity.

Its gonna be a long undertaking cause I want to do the other core series too, which is why I don't spend a ton of time writing about a single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I'm doing even less writing on it then you. I put the issues on a spreadsheet, put the writer/artist down, date, villian (if there is one) and a note or two about something that happens..Like Osborn/Green Goblin finding out Spider-man's identity.

Its gonna be a long undertaking cause I want to do the other core series too, which is why I don't spend a ton of time writing about a single issue.
    Yeah, refer back to the chronology site for that if you are not, I'm doing that as well for everything after 1976:

http://www.comicsbackissues.com/comi...er-chronology/

I'm trying to condense my summeries as short as possible maybe 3-4 lines. I'm also working in a spreadsheet for this. I put a 1 liner to summarize each issue in bold at the top, but then I go through my little paragraph "cliff notes" underneath to highlight what happened.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 11-18-2014 at 05:49 PM.