Page 51 of 81 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Read a bit from some spinoffs.

Venom (2016) #1-6: Not a fan of the art or the main character. It really comes across as a sanitized ripoff of the Top cow 90s character The Darkness.
    D

Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider #1-5: Solid art by Bagley. The series is rather unfocused (Reilly goes back to his classic costume in the third issue, He starts out amoral) although it is fun and readable. Kaine's a decent foe.
    B-

Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider #6-9: It's a step up in terms of writing and focus, as Reilly finally gets something that makes his unique and explains his prior characterization, while getting some decent challenges from the Slingers and Death.
    B
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The Death of Captain Stacy.
    It ends with one of my favorite issues #92.
    Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_92.jpg

Reading Amazing Spider-Man right after it relaunched from Superior Spider-Man. I’m really enjoying it!
    Also, found some early issues in the dollar bin of Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man and really enjoying those as well.

Venom #150-153: This is an odd transition for a book, getting the original lead back while maintaining the creative team. It's definitely an improvement, as Brock gets a potentially promising new direction.
    B-

Venom #154-158: The clash with Kraven and the art of Mark Bagley help make this a decent comic book.
    B

Marvel Team Up #12: The story has a decent set-up (Spider-Man goes to San Francisco to find Daredevil shortly after Gwen's death; gets attacked by a brainwashed Werewolf by Night) and threat.
    B

Daredevil #103: Okay but forgettable team-up at an interesting time (just after Gwen's death.)
    C
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I just read through "New Ways to Die" and I enjoyed it.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man #1-9, 12-17: After reading this, I can definitely see why an editor would hire Spencer for Amazing Spider-Man with the pitch of spoilers:
    making Peter Parker and Boomerang roommates.
    end of spoilers It's a fun series about B-list supervillains screwing one another over, and getting caught in a gang war that isn't out of place in the Marvel Universe.
    A
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Recently read through Dan Slott's Spider-Man/Human Torch mini-series, holy crap was that good!
    Each issue represented their respective Spidey eras perfectly, and I love just how unique it feels, showing the growth these characters' experienced over the years. Not to mention just all around enjoyable, funny, and even heartwarming.
    Special attention to Ty Templeton's whose art is a major stand out for the book, it's amazing just how well he is able to emulate the different art styles for every issue.

It's no wonder this man would go on to write Spider-Man for 10 years, considering just how good his first story turned out.

This:
    612rinrGs7L._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    Some beautiful art!

Astonishing Member

I read recently#

Great stories and art.
    This TPB just keeps getting better untill issue 200th (It collects ASM#193-200)
    Contains a great centenary issue,and have some of my favorites stories with the Kingpin and Mysterio.
    Have been way to long since i read these stories,and i totally forgot how great those stories were.

Just finished reading Shed... Yeah, the notoriety of this story is well-deserved. An utter practice in poor taste.

Aside from the fact that Connors have been pointless tormented over the years for the mere sake of bringing the Lizard back, an old and formulaic villain I'm frankly more than tired of, aside from the tasteless implications of sexual violence, aside from the very dumb "Lizard Brain/Monkey brain" nonsense, the biggest problem I have with this arc is children being killed off for the mere sake of plot-device. That's not what I read Spider-Man for, and I don't like how the only point of this entire fiasco that I could find is to pull out some platitude about human nature being savage, a platitude that isn't even explored thoroughly because the entire arc was more busy with throwing shock factor after shock factor.

2/10. Very little to like about this arc. The sub-plot and character development for Carlie is the only redeeming feature.

I'm not giving grades as this is the first time I read most of these.

Ghost Rider Volume 2 #16-17: This two-parter from the Mackie/ Texeira Ghost Rider was the first time he wrote Spider-Man. It's not a memorable take although there are some clever decisions (it's set in the aftermath of a pivotal Ghost Rider story so it works as a way to keep new readers interested; Spider-Man's story is basically a sequel to a team-up with Ghost Rider in Todd McFarlane's run and pays off an earlier Hobgoblin appearance.) Nice art by Texeira.

Web of Spider-Man #84-89: Mackie's first Spider-Man story has some big ideas (Peter Parker is targeted by criminals due to a compromising photo attributed to him) but fails in the mystery, while telling a story (Kingpin starts as one of the big villains but then he's overthrown offscreen in Daredevil; it's set around the same time as The Child Within so Spider-Man is looking for Harry meaning it's not that exciting to see a less interesting Goblin.

It made a spiderfan list of the worst stories, and it's not a bad decision. This does highlight some of what we'll see in Mackie's run (generic 1990s thugs with their own superhero identities; multiple efforts to provide the Hobgoblin a new identity; a TPB length story with an unsatisfying conclusion.)

http://www.spiderfan.org/comics/revi...n_web/084.html

Marvel Fanfare #6: Nice art in a generic Spider-Man in a fantasy setting story.

Spider-Man/ Dr Strange: Way to Dusty Death This team-up has some inappropriate artistic decisions (a suicidal woman is presented as an object of desire) and uses graphic novel length to imitate a storyline that was done in earlier one-off stories. There's some interesting parts where he deals with his mortality but that's been done better elsewhere. Conway has a solid take on the hero, but doesn't do much with it.

There's a decent review of these stories, as well as the Lee/ Ditko annual and the Marvel Team-Up issue that set up the larger saga on the website Adventures In Poor Taste.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...-death-review/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

For about the past year I've been working my way, off and on, through the Spider-Man chronological order found here. This is honestly something I'd been wanting to do for decades, but never really had the means to do it. I'm currently reading through the 1994 issues. Pretty soon I'm going to be getting into territory that I'm familiar with, so that is exciting to relive some of the comics I read back in the day. I'm also excited to finally catch up with modern times. I read through Superior Spider-Man and Spider-Verse a little while back, but outside of that I'm pretty unfamiliar with modern day Spider, so that'll be fun.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I just bought issues of Marvel Team-Up 100-150, plus annuals 5-7, slowly working my way backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I'm not giving grades as this is the first time I read most of these.

Ghost Rider Volume 2 #16-17: This two-parter from the Mackie/ Texeira Ghost Rider was the first time he wrote Spider-Man. It's not a memorable take although there are some clever decisions (it's set in the aftermath of a pivotal Ghost Rider story so it works as a way to keep new readers interested; Spider-Man's story is basically a sequel to a team-up with Ghost Rider in Todd McFarlane's run and pays off an earlier Hobgoblin appearance.) Nice art by Texeira.

Web of Spider-Man #84-89: Mackie's first Spider-Man story has some big ideas (Peter Parker is targeted by criminals due to a compromising photo attributed to him) but fails in the mystery, while telling a story (Kingpin starts as one of the big villains but then he's overthrown offscreen in Daredevil; it's set around the same time as The Child Within so Spider-Man is looking for Harry meaning it's not that exciting to see a less interesting Goblin.

It made a spiderfan list of the worst stories, and it's not a bad decision. This does highlight some of what we'll see in Mackie's run (generic 1990s thugs with their own superhero identities; multiple efforts to provide the Hobgoblin a new identity; a TPB length story with an unsatisfying conclusion.)

http://www.spiderfan.org/comics/revi...n_web/084.html

Marvel Fanfare #6: Nice art in a generic Spider-Man in a fantasy setting story.

Spider-Man/ Dr Strange: Way to Dusty Death This team-up has some inappropriate artistic decisions (a suicidal woman is presented as an object of desire) and uses graphic novel length to imitate a storyline that was done in earlier one-off stories. There's some interesting parts where he deals with his mortality but that's been done better elsewhere. Conway has a solid take on the hero, but doesn't do much with it.

There's a decent review of these stories, as well as the Lee/ Ditko annual and the Marvel Team-Up issue that set up the larger saga on the website Adventures In Poor Taste.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...-death-review/
    Just got the Spidey/Strange GN in the mail yesterday. Missed that one somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    For about the past year I've been working my way, off and on, through the Spider-Man chronological order found here. This is honestly something I'd been wanting to do for decades, but never really had the means to do it. I'm currently reading through the 1994 issues. Pretty soon I'm going to be getting into territory that I'm familiar with, so that is exciting to relive some of the comics I read back in the day. I'm also excited to finally catch up with modern times. I read through Superior Spider-Man and Spider-Verse a little while back, but outside of that I'm pretty unfamiliar with modern day Spider, so that'll be fun.
    I was doing the same thing and made it up through maximum carnage. Had to break to catch up current stuff, but plan on getting back to it soon.