Page 53 of 81 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Amazing Spider-Man #165 and #166.
    War of the Reptile Men.
    Some great work by Len Wein and Ross Andru
    One of my favorite Spider-Stories and one of my early ones.
    Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_165.jpgAmazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_166.jpg

Read some comics I picked up in a Kindle sale...

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #107-110: "The Death of Jean Dewolff" remains one of the richest Spider-Man stories. It's a great contrast between Spidey and Daredevil, and an excellent take on a time when things didn't work out for the superhero.
    A+

Marvel Team-Up #19-20: The intro of Stegron is more fun than I remembered. The central plot's okay, but in addition to the craziness with dinos, the little moments work for Spider-Man and the guest starrs, including the first interactions between Spider-Man and Black Panther.
    B+

Marvel Team-Up #21: The return of Xandu from the Lee/ Ditko run is a decent crossover, with a clever storytelling showing what Spider-Man sees under the effects of a magic spell. The end adds some pathos to a minor villain.
    B+

Marvel Team-Up #22 It's an okay crossover with decent characterization for Spidey and Hawkeye, but a step down.
    B-

And finished the reread of the end of Slott's run...

Amazing Spider-Man #794-796: Slott nailed the landing with the end of his run, setting up the final challenge effectively, while telling decent one-off adventures that showed off Spider-Man's intelligence and perserverence.
    A

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #42: This was mainly a Clone Conspiracy epilogue but it has a decent central gimmick with crooks taking advantage of a secret tunnel system, and works as a spotlight for some underused Lee/ Ditko characters. Didn't care as much for the back-up's exaggerated take on spider-sense.
    B+

Amazing Spider-Man #797-800 The final big story worked pretty well as a challenge for Spider-Man worthy of the hype, and an excuse for some impressive set pieces and fight sequences, bringing the allies together for a story that is mainly about Spider-Man.
    A

Amazing Spider-Man #801: Lovely one-off about the people affected by Spider-Man from one person's POV. Great art by Marcos Martin.
    A

Note: I might end up grading Slott's final issues even higher. I do feel that there isn't enough distance to determine whether it's A or A+ material.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Read some comics I picked up in a Kindle sale...

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #107-110: "The Death of Jean Dewolff" remains one of the richest Spider-Man stories. It's a great contrast between Spidey and Daredevil, and an excellent take on a time when things didn't work out for the superhero.
    A+

Marvel Team-Up #19-20: The intro of Stegron is more fun than I remembered. The central plot's okay, but in addition to the craziness with dinos, the little moments work for Spider-Man and the guest starrs, including the first interactions between Spider-Man and Black Panther.
    B+

Marvel Team-Up #21: The return of Xandu from the Lee/ Ditko run is a decent crossover, with a clever storytelling showing what Spider-Man sees under the effects of a magic spell. The end adds some pathos to a minor villain.
    B+

Marvel Team-Up #22 It's an okay crossover with decent characterization for Spidey and Hawkeye, but a step down.
    B-

And finished the reread of the end of Slott's run...

Amazing Spider-Man #794-796: Slott nailed the landing with the end of his run, setting up the final challenge effectively, while telling decent one-off adventures that showed off Spider-Man's intelligence and perserverence.
    A

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #42: This was mainly a Clone Conspiracy epilogue but it has a decent central gimmick with crooks taking advantage of a secret tunnel system, and works as a spotlight for some underused Lee/ Ditko characters. Didn't care as much for the back-up's exaggerated take on spider-sense.
    B+

Amazing Spider-Man #797-800 The final big story worked pretty well as a challenge for Spider-Man worthy of the hype, and an excuse for some impressive set pieces and fight sequences, bringing the allies together for a story that is mainly about Spider-Man.
    A

Amazing Spider-Man #801: Lovely one-off about the people affected by Spider-Man from one person's POV. Great art by Marcos Martin.
    A

Note: I might end up grading Slott's final issues even higher. I do feel that there isn't enough distance to determine whether it's A or A+ material.
    We definitely need some distance in order to properly assess Dan’s most recent issues but I agree the final arc and coda was excellent. Having said that, I must say Spencer’s first two issues—-excellent IMO—- highlite a real deficiency from most of Dan’s run: A real sense fun and of maturity for Peter; This is more of an overall observation for the contrast between the two writers, early on though it may be. But I thought it was worth noting as has the tone of the series has shifted dramatically and for the better as far as I’m concerned.

I just finished reading Scarlet Spider (Kaine solo), not bad! Why did the series get cancelled? Was it because Spider-Verse was coming?

Just finished #5 of Spidey School's out!

Amazon had the Spider-Hunt digital trade really cheap a while back.

SENSATIONAL SPIDERMAN 25-26, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 432-433, SPIDER-MAN 88-90, SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN 254-256

It's generally okay stuff, covering the build-up to the Spider-Hunt crossover, the crossover, and the preludes to Identity Crisis. Sometimes the different titles clash with one another, with scenes that feel out of nowhere or redundant, but there is a good sense of the people Spider-Man affects, and how difficult the situation is.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Just finished Marvel Team Up number 141 with Daredevil. Really good especially Peters line to Matt about how he thought they were supposed to be the good guys.

Also just finished Web of Spider-Man 1 and 2.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Marvel Team-Up #91
    Love that Pat Broderick art.
    Marvel_Team-Up_Vol_1_91.jpg

Recently read Spider-Girl for the first time thanks to that recent Complete Collection. Some really nice stuff there. That time-travel story were Mayday meets her dad (and mom) as teens during the first Spider Slayer tale was a standout.

Going to be trying the '90s Clone Saga soon.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I just dug out issue #48 of Marvel Team-Up.
    The first appearances of Captain Jean DeWolff.
    Also my first issue of Team-Up. I bought it off of the stands in the summer of 1976.
    Marvel_Team-Up_Vol_1_48.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Also my first issue of Team-Up. I bought it off of the stands in the summer of 1976.

Great issue and the beginning of a great arc! I bought that off newsstand as well which makes us fellow old-timers around here! ��

Spider-Man vs Wolveribe by Priest, great team up between Marvel cash cows, it manages to be an Spider-Man story and a Wolverine story at the same time and somehow mesh well in spite of the opposite natures of the characthers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Spider-Man vs Wolveribe by Priest, great team up between Marvel cash cows, it manages to be an Spider-Man story and a Wolverine story at the same time and somehow mesh well in spite of the opposite natures of the characthers.
    I just re-read that issue as well. I met Christopher Priest a few weeks back at TERRIFICon and he’s super nice. He had a lot of crazy stories about this comic, and his time at Marvel during the mid 80’s.

- Jason G. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by JGC View Post
    I just re-read that issue as well. I met Christopher Priest a few weeks back at TERRIFICon and he’s super nice. He had a lot of crazy stories about this comic, and his time at Marvel during the mid 80’s.
    Cool! Any stories you could share about this comic/time period? It is one I remember well and probably most significant because it was (I believe) the first crossover between Spidey/Wolverine in a dedicated story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Great issue and the beginning of a great arc! I bought that off newsstand as well which makes us fellow old-timers around here! ��
    The story arc that starts in that issue is for sure great.
    I remember enjoying that story a lot when i read it for the first time.
    A cool story all around by Bill Mantlo and Sal Buscema.And one of my favorite exemples of a great Spider-Man story in the Marvel Team Up comic book.