Page 54 of 81 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Marvel Team Up #138: An early DeFalco story featuring Sandman after his redemption in Marvel Two In One. It's a decent A-plot with Spider-Man unaware of how one of his oldest enemies has changed.

Marvel Team Up #140-141: This story tries to tackle serious topics of racial bias in the justice system, and has a solid take on Spider-Man and Daredevil's relationship, while taking advantage of Secret Wars occurring in between the two issues so Spider-Man doesn't realize a story that he thought had a happy ending was unfinished. But it's kinda clumsy, and feels like it has multiple writers.

And I came across some Spider-Man appearances in a reread of the Lee/ Colan Daredevil.

Daredevil #27: It's a rather brief appearance, although the interplay between the heroes was fun. It weirdly ignores a cliffhanger from an earlier issue which had revealed that Spider-Man knew Daredevil's identity, necessitating one of the silliest plots in Silver Age Marvel (Matt claiming he has an obnoxious twin brother, who is the real Daredevil.) The set pieces are decent.
    B

Fantastic Four #73: This was basically a battle royale with the Fantastic Four convinced Daredevil is Doctor Doom in disguise (due to events in Daredevil) and DD getting Thor and Spider-Man to help him in the ensuing fight. It has good action sequences and a sense of humor. I suspect someone else finished up Kirby's Spider-Man, since it's much more on-model than usual.
    B+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #46: Stern/ Zeck's story pitting Cobra against Spider-Man is fun, and takes outsized significance due to the follow-up in ASM 231-232. It's a decent fight, elevated by complications when the cops get involved.
    B+

Amazing Spider-Man #240-241: Stern and Ditko give one of Spider-Man's one of Spider-Man's oldest enemies (in both senses of the word) an origin and it's totally fitting. The fight scenes are decent, albeit slightly redundant (there are clear homages, but there isn't much new, although I do like Spider-Man's difficulties getting to Staten Island quickly.)
    B+

Amazing Spider-Man #242-243: This parter's odd in that the focus is on Peter's private life, with each issue having a different A-plot (a decent fight with the Mad Thinker, a hostage situation in a cathedral). It's all very well told, as a sitcomish plot of Peter trying to help out a coworker leads to two major developments years in the making (the return of MJ, a major decision about Peter's education.)
    A

Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #1-5: It's a pretty decent start for Spencer/ Ottley. Their storytelling style generally works, the first issue can be a master class in how to start a run, and the split of Spider-Man and Peter Parker allows for an exploration of the character. The bad guys are more of a set-up, and there some scenes I don't buy, especially in the resolution (four issues of set-up about a weird hunt ends on a predictable note, a major plot point is Peter telling Randy about a security risk in such a way that someone they both know to be a villain overhears.)
    B+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Marvel Team-Up issues #41-#44
    Another great Bill Mantlo and Sal Buscema story.
    Spider-Man, The Scarlet Witch, The Vision, Dr. Doom and Moondragon.
    Marvel_Team-Up_Vol_1_44.jpg

Read some Stan Lee classics.

Amazing Spider-Man #24: Probably my favorite "standard" Lee/ Ditko issue (one that isn't the first appearance or a multi-part epic.)
    A+

Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #2: It might be a bit padded, but the confrontation between Osborn and Peter are intense, and it is an excuse for some of the best visuals of Romita Sr's career, which means it's some of the best ever in Spidey comics.
    A

Amazing Spider-Man #82: A definitive bad day for Spider-Man. This is an issue that can be analyzed just for how well it works in big moments (Peter having a meaningful mission in trying to make something of himself) and the small.
    A+

And I've been checking out Mantlo's second run of Spectacular.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #61: Solid, but generic challenges for Spidey in a clash with Moonstone. This is also plotted by Stern, which might be why it doesn't feel like it has any particular writer's stamp on it.
    B-

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #62: Ed Hannigan starts with his poor man's Frank Miller gimmick, but I don't mind. This story's elevated by Spidey's efforts at saving a bad guy, and how his work as a scientist ties to the main story.
    B+

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #63: It's a bit weird to read a story about how Flash, Liz and Harry have disappeared from Peter's life. On the one hand, I'm glad the story brought them back, but it feels a bit out of place. There's some fun here with Spidey out of his element in suburban New Jersey. And while I was not really a fan of the bronze age Molten Man stories, at least this one had a resolution, and was single-issue.
    B

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #64: An impressive debut for Cloak and Dagger in a story that makes Spidey suitably uncomfortable.
    A

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #65: A generic Kraven fight elevated by the villain's sense of honor, and the trippiness when Spidey gets poisoned.
    B

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #66: It's a bit like ASM 82; another single issue fight with Electro in which Spider-Man's personal life suffers, though I do like how he outsmarts the bad guy.
    B+

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #67: With Hannigan's aping of Miller's Daredevil, it's not a shock that Kingpin gets involved. This issue also has some fun with Boomerang, and the complications that arise from his ineffectiveness.
    B+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Continuing my read of the Mantlo run.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #68: An oddball one-off exploring the legacy of the most obscure Lee/ Ditko foe (especially pre-"Revelations") the Robot Master.
    B

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #69-70: The return of Cloak and Dagger, and some big changes for Silvermane that have stuck. It's an interesting challenge and moral dilemma for Spidey.
    B+

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #71: A story about a national issue (gun violence) which is a bit didactic, but has some powerful moments.
    B

I also went through the Cosmic Spider-Man saga, as a notable story I haven't read in a while.

Amazing Spider-Man #326: The first chapter of the Acts of Vengeance crossover wasn't included in the Cosmic Adventures TPB. It does feel very different especially with Collenn Doran's art, a departure from the norm. The best part is a twist involving MJ's problems.
    B

Spectacular Spider-Man #158-160, Web of Spider-Man #61-63, Amazing Spider-Man #327-329: The Cosmic Spider-Man saga has some flaws (the beats are repeated, some of the storytelling is melodramatic, I'm not sure I buy the characterizations of guest-starr villains) but it has an interesting crisis for Spidey (what does he do with sudden power?) as well as a litany of single issue challenges that make for an accessible crossover, where transitions between creative teams are handled smoothly.
    B+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

I have read :

Amazing Spider-Man by David Michelinie and Tod McFarlane Omnibus.It collects Amazing Spider-Man:296-329.A great run for sure of Spider-Man stories with the first apearences of Venom and with just some great illustrations by Tod McFarlane.Story wise the stories by David Michelinie are quite good as well.

And Kraven´s Last Hunt Deluxe edition.I had read before the story.But KLH is a cool story to have in this Oversized Hardcover Edition,plus i apreciated all the relevant extra stories that are related to the KLH story that are collected in this edition.
    The stories are : Amazing Spider-Man:15,293-294; Web of Spider-Man:31-32,Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man:131-132,Marvel Team-Up:128, Amazing Spider-Man: Soul of The Hunter What If? 17,material from Sensational Spider-Man Annual '96, Amazing Spider-Man 634-637 (The secondary stories of these issues by J.M.DMatteis) and What The-?! 3.

Amazing Spider-Man Epic Collection volume 3: Spider-Man No More!

I had read ish 39-40 and 50-52, but it's nice to know what is in the middle. Also, the plus of reading the original stories that later were reshaped by Loeb and Sale in Spider-Man Blue. Stan Lee's writing is engaging and fun, and Romita Sr's art is phenomenal. The only problem with these books is waiting for the next one hahaha. I could read Spider-Man by Lee, Ditko, Romita Sr and Kane all day long
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

All-New Member

Kraven's last hunt

Marvel Masterworks Vol 2. (Collecting issue 10-20).
    I am wanting to read Stan’s entire run on ASM. I have several of the marvel masterworks and am looking at getting several of the epic collections as well.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Continuing my Mantlo re-read...

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #72: This works really well as a prelude to the Doctor Octopus saga. Probably Mantlo's best issue yet, as he focuses on a kid who develops the wrong kind of interest in supervillains just when Doc Ock has escaped.
    A+

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #73-76: The Owl/ Octopus war is one of Mantlo's best arcs, with some big moments (Black Cat becoming a recurring figure as Spider-Man's sidekick), and nods to the Master Planner saga. A psychatrist's decisions are a bit fishy, and has been criticized in reviews, although Peter remains suitably skeptical.
    A

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #77: The Gladiator story is so-so, but the set-up to a big rematch between Spider-Man and Doctor Octopus is excellent.
    B+

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #78-79: A satisfying conclusion to Mantlo's big story, as Peter prepares for an issue long fight with his greatest enemy. The set-up and payoff work just as well.
    A+

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #80: The Jonah spotlight borrows very liberally from Miller's Daredevil/ Eisner's The Spirit, especially the stories where side characters try to save the day, without anyone's interference.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #81-83: A sudden swerve in Punisher's motivations is a bit jarring, although it raises some interesting questions for Peter, and we do have to keep in mind that this was an earlier version of the Punisher, mainly seen as an antagonist for Spider-Man and Daredevil.

And I read some Conway....

Amazing Spider-Man #132-133: A story with a lot of impact on Spider-Man's continuity, as Liz Allen and the Molten Man return, and a connection is revealed between the two. It contrasts with the more sympathetic take on Molten Man in the bronze age, and sets up follow-ups that rehash the plot here, as Molten Man is dying, but it is a satisfyingly dramatic situation.
    B

Giant-Sized Superheroes #1: A team-up between Morbius and Man-Wolf is just really generic.
    C

Amazing Spider-Man #134-135: The return of Punisher and the debut of Tarantula feature way too many coincidences but some interesting challenges for Jonah, on the hook for terrorist's demand, and Peter, who has to keep his secret identity safe when he and his friends are held hostage. Also has some good set-up with Harry.
    B+

Amazing Spider-Man #136-137: As a big fan of the DeMatteis Harry Osborn saga, it's surprising how much of it was done first here. And done pretty well. It's a two parter that has ridiculous flourishes (nuclear bombs) but sets up one of the best Spider-Man foes ever/
    A

Amazing Spider-Man #138: The Mindworm isn't the greatest Spider-Man enemy, but he has suitably sympathetic, and this tale takes Peter out of his element (to Far Rockaway in Southern Queens) while building his friendship with Harry. Solid standalone.
    B

Amazing Spider-Man #139-140: The Grizzly's not exactly an A-lister, but he's not meant to be. It's a solid story of Jonah getting his comeuppance elevated by the return of the Jackal.
    B
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Continuing my Mantlo re-read...

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #72: This works really well as a prelude to the Doctor Octopus saga. Probably Mantlo's best issue yet, as he focuses on a kid who develops the wrong kind of interest in supervillains just when Doc Ock has escaped.
    A+

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #73-76: The Owl/ Octopus war is one of Mantlo's best arcs, with some big moments (Black Cat becoming a recurring figure as Spider-Man's sidekick), and nods to the Master Planner saga. A psychatrist's decisions are a bit fishy, and has been criticized in reviews, although Peter remains suitably skeptical.
    A

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #77: The Gladiator story is so-so, but the set-up to a big rematch between Spider-Man and Doctor Octopus is excellent.
    B+

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #78-79: A satisfying conclusion to Mantlo's big story, as Peter prepares for an issue long fight with his greatest enemy. The set-up and payoff work just as well.
    A+

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #80: The Jonah spotlight borrows very liberally from Miller's Daredevil/ Eisner's The Spirit, especially the stories where side characters try to save the day, without anyone's interference.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #81-83: A sudden swerve in Punisher's motivations is a bit jarring, although it raises some interesting questions for Peter, and we do have to keep in mind that this was an earlier version of the Punisher, mainly seen as an antagonist for Spider-Man and Daredevil.

And I read some Conway....

Amazing Spider-Man #132-133: A story with a lot of impact on Spider-Man's continuity, as Liz Allen and the Molten Man return, and a connection is revealed between the two. It contrasts with the more sympathetic take on Molten Man in the bronze age, and sets up follow-ups that rehash the plot here, as Molten Man is dying, but it is a satisfyingly dramatic situation.
    B

Giant-Sized Superheroes #1: A team-up between Morbius and Man-Wolf is just really generic.
    C

Amazing Spider-Man #134-135: The return of Punisher and the debut of Tarantula feature way too many coincidences but some interesting challenges for Jonah, on the hook for terrorist's demand, and Peter, who has to keep his secret identity safe when he and his friends are held hostage. Also has some good set-up with Harry.
    B+

Amazing Spider-Man #136-137: As a big fan of the DeMatteis Harry Osborn saga, it's surprising how much of it was done first here. And done pretty well. It's a two parter that has ridiculous flourishes (nuclear bombs) but sets up one of the best Spider-Man foes ever/
    A

Amazing Spider-Man #138: The Mindworm isn't the greatest Spider-Man enemy, but he has suitably sympathetic, and this tale takes Peter out of his element (to Far Rockaway in Southern Queens) while building his friendship with Harry. Solid standalone.
    B

Amazing Spider-Man #139-140: The Grizzly's not exactly an A-lister, but he's not meant to be. It's a solid story of Jonah getting his comeuppance elevated by the return of the Jackal.
    B
    I am big fan of Mantlo's work on PP:SSM which is generally overlooked or at least not discussed often; I also have a soft spot in my heart for that era of Conway's run on ASM which doesn't always hold up great today thanks to the many 1970's-era contrivances but there's still plenty to enjoy there. BTW, why do you assign a grade to most (but not all) of what you re-read and report on here?

Amazing Spider-Man 277

Anytime my two favorite marvel characters are in the same issue, I am excited! The beginning of this issue features a small tie-in to Born Again.

The issue opens with Peter receiving a call from Matt stating that he needs his help and warning him of danger from the Kingpin. At this point of Matt’s story he has already lost everything and is recovering at the church. Peter arrives and is shocked to see Matt in this condition. Matt fills Peter in on what has happened and warns him that the Kingpin may know that he is Spider-Man. Initially Matt asks for Peter’s help but changes his mind and warns Peter to stay away.

Peter leaves and of course goes to confront the Kingpin to see if this is true, because Matt was also shouting some nonsensical things as well. Of course the Kingpin denies and basically tells Peter there is nothing he can do, because if Peter attacks him it would not look good for him in the press. Peter leaves but webs the bottom of Kingpins seat and Fisk realizes he will be stuck there for two hours and he starts cursing Spider-Man (that part was pretty funny).
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man 277

Anytime my two favorite marvel characters are in the same issue, I am excited! The beginning of this issue features a small tie-in to Born Again.

The issue opens with Peter receiving a call from Matt stating that he needs his help and warning him of danger from the Kingpin. At this point of Matt’s story he has already lost everything and is recovering at the church. Peter arrives and is shocked to see Matt in this condition. Matt fills Peter in on what has happened and warns him that the Kingpin may know that he is Spider-Man. Initially Matt asks for Peter’s help but changes his mind and warns Peter to stay away.

Peter leaves and of course goes to confront the Kingpin to see if this is true, because Matt was also shouting some nonsensical things as well. Of course the Kingpin denies and basically tells Peter there is nothing he can do, because if Peter attacks him it would not look good for him in the press. Peter leaves but webs the bottom of Kingpins seat and Fisk realizes he will be stuck there for two hours and he starts cursing Spider-Man (that part was pretty funny).
    This is a pretty cool issue and I remember it well; the thing I recall about it and the time it came out is how dark and gritty Matt's world was during "Born Again" and it was a real contrast with Spidey's world which had still not made that turn towards the era's grittiness (that happened with Kraven's Last Hunt a few years later). BTW, Netflix's DD Season 3 is phenomenal and borrows a lot of elements from the "Born Again" storyline; just finished watching it this past weekend....highly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    This is a pretty cool issue and I remember it well; the thing I recall about it and the time it came out is how dark and gritty Matt's world was during "Born Again" and it was a real contrast with Spidey's world which had still not made that turn towards the era's grittiness (that happened with Kraven's Last Hunt a few years later). BTW, Netflix's DD Season 3 is phenomenal and borrows a lot of elements from the "Born Again" storyline; just finished watching it this past weekend....highly recommended!
    LOVED IT! Definitely in my top 5 media that Marvel has put out. As much as I love Spider-Man, Daredevil is my favorite marvel character.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    LOVED IT! Definitely in my top 5 media that Marvel has put out. As much as I love Spider-Man, Daredevil is my favorite marvel character.

Yeah, it was fantastic! Even my wife loved it; she doesn't read comics but knows enough about the characters through me and felt it was outstanding just on it's own----meaning one didn't need to read the comics first. I thought the only weaknesses were a relatively slow start (first 2-3 episodes crawled) and I didn't watch The Defenders (bad worth of mouth) so it could have used a better recap to start this season but, other than that, superb!