Page 55 of 81 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #2: It might be a bit padded, but the confrontation between Osborn and Peter are intense, and it is an excuse for some of the best visuals of Romita Sr's career, which means it's some of the best ever in Spidey comics.
    A
    My favorite Osborn story of that era. And I loved that Raimi did homage to it with his Thanksgiving scene in SM1.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I finished Maximum Carnage.
    C (The best issues were Spectacular Spider-Man 201 and 202; The worst issues were Web of Spider-Man 102 and Amazing Spider-Man 379.)

Also read...
    Marvel Team-Up #101: A fill-in issue by JM DeMatteis, who would go on to have a longer run an year later. He has a good take on Spider-Man's voice, as Spidey gets involved in a story that's very personal for guest-starr Nighthawk (from DeMatteis's run of Defenders.) There's also a back-up story about Nighthawk by Steve Ditko, as the hero's weakness kicks in at the worst possible moment.
    B

Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #3: Good debut for a new villain (the Ultimate version of Mysterio) which gives Spidey a small win, while also keeping the bad guy intact for the inevitable TPB length showdown. The private plot is excellent as Peter and MJ deal with the aftermath of an awkward discussion on a topic that hadn't been depicted in series about a teenage Spider-Man. Energetic art by Lafuente.
    A
    I reread MTU 101, as part of an epic collection of DeMatteis's run. It's impressive how he used this fill-in to set-up his run on the Defenders team book, while still making it a solid Spidey story. It's still a B.

Other Spidey comics...

Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #6-7: The Boomerang spotlight is a lot of fun, finding some heart and potential for goodness in the comedy relief villain. And the cliffhanger takes a creepy turn with the big bad.
    A

Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #8-10: Spencer gets Peter and Black Cat's relationship in a mostly good place, with a story that has some fun guest appearances, and executes some good ideas pretty well (Bringing Gambit foes The Thieves Guild into the Spider-Man comics, Introducing a superhero support group for MJ.)
    B+

Ultimate Spider-Man #47-49: This might be the most overlooked arc of Bendis/ Bagley's run, maybe since it was a shorter tale, half of a Kingpin-centric TPB. It uses the obligatory return to Kingpin to focus on Peter's reactions to injustice, and there's a powerful scene where Aunt May realizes why Peter is so bothered. There's a good arc for J Jonah Jameson, as he reacts to some bad decisions that lead to Robbie giving him the ultimate insult "I liked you better when you drank."
    A
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Some Spider-Geddon.

Spider-Geddon #0,1-5: Fun, but largely disposable follow-up to Spider-Verse.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #311-313: Pretty solid tie-in. Morlun's return in a side title is still a big deal, and this story plays nicely with the Jonah/ Peter relationship that came to define the title.

Spider-Force #1-3: This might exemplify what's good and bad about Spider-Verse. The interactions between the different Spider-people are great, but the villains are kinda lame. The highlight here is Spider-Kid and the delinquent granddaughter from Old Man Logan.

And I read a 90s story...

Spider-Man: The Hobogblin Lives #1-3: Pulls off a difficult trick of a satisfying conclusion to a mystery that seemed solved over a decade earlier. Elevated by some exceptional storytelling, and high stakes for Peter and his loved ones. Built on some big coincidences.
    A-
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spider-Men by Bendis.

This was a solid and fun book by Bendis about 616 Peter meeting Miles. Highly recommend!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I blame my recent three-hit health problem combo on the nightmarish, medieval European-style torture that is O'Neil's ASM run. These 20 issues have taken me so long to get though, grinded my normal comic reading rate to a halt, and should be retconned to be the actual biblical origin of evil.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I blame my recent three-hit health problem combo on the nightmarish, medieval European-style torture that is O'Neil's ASM run. These 20 issues have taken me so long to get though, grinded my normal comic reading rate to a halt, and should be retconned to be the actual biblical origin of evil.
    I actually dropped ASM for the first and only time in my long comic-reading life due to O'Neil's run. I didn't find it so bad as boring-----which is arguably worse. But, like New England weather, just wait a bit and things change-----Uncle Rog came on board a few short years later and crafted my all-time favorite ASM run and ushered in a whole new era of greatness!

I am making my way through JMS run on Spider-Man. I am through volume four and I just love the voice and feel that JMS has for Peter. He is confident and mature and the way he writes both Peter and MJ is beautiful.
    This run is quickly becoming my favorite and definitely my favorite take on the character.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

MAXIMUM CARNAGE (for no reason at all)
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

All the issues contained in Essential Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. #1
    I remember reading these issues as they hit the stands.
    spectacular_spiderman_1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    All the issues contained in Essential Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. #1
    I remember reading these issues as they hit the stands.
    spectacular_spiderman_1.jpg
    Any favorites?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Just been re-reading Ultimate Spider-Man from the start. Reads nicely in such a big bulk.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Currently reading Slott’s Amazing Spider-Man 2015 run, Zdarsky’s PP the Spectacular Spider-Man runs, and thinking about picking up the Miles 616 run.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Any favorites?
    Issue #19 is one of my all time favorites.
    Peter_Parker,_The_Spectacular_Spider-Man_Vol_1_19.jpg

Still making my way through JMS run on Spider-Man and just finished issue 500. It was a solid milestone issue with visits to the past, many of where Peter failed and I loved what Doctor Strange had to say to Peter.
    293EF90F-A22F-4B07-B216-829484227D4B.jpg
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Haven't updated in a while.

Ultimate Spider-Man (Miles Morales) #1-5: Looking back at it, it's great how Bendis and Pichelli take their time to build Miles' world. That might have been essential to his popularity. The main problem is that the first volume is kind of slight, without a serious threat.
    A-

Ultimate Spider-Man #6-12: Here the bad guys come in, with a new take on Scorpion, and the worst uncle on the planet, as we get an exceptional story of a young superhero out of his league. This might be the best Miles Morales comic.
    A+

Ultimate Spider-Man #16.1: Solid standalone about the Daily Bugle's reactions to the new Spider-Man, with some investigative work by Betty Brant, and the set-up to a new challenge.
    B+

Ultimate Spider-Man #13-18: Miles gets involved in the larger Ultimate Universe, and it's generally satisfying due to some high-stakes moments for his family (what his dad is forced to do during a Hydra takeover.)
    A

Spider-Men #1-5: Not sure the big twist with Mysterio works, but this is a pretty good crossover for both characters. Peter sees a world where he's a teen martyr. Miles encounters a version of what his Peter could have grown to be. And the first encounter between the Ultimate and classic Marvel universes is a fun, meaningful romp.
    A

Venom (2018) #1-10: Cates, Stegman and company have an interesting take on Venom, creating a new mythology independent of Spidey, while showing Eddie Brock's confusion at the whole mess, and some interesting twists on the symbiotes (especially the creature's dog transformation.) I'm not grading since this is the first time I read it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets