Page 61 of 81 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast

I'm currently reading the Amazing Spider '63 run. I have read through the murder of Uncle Ben twice so far, it feels like each time they mention it a bit more detail is given.

I am up to Amazing Spiderman 151. Am loving the early stuff.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man 39- How Green Was My Goblin? This issue is probably my favorite issue of the Lee/Ditko era! The fight between the goblin and Peter was fantastic. Norman revealing his identity to Peter was a great cliffhanger as well. Can't wait to read the next issue!
    That's the start of the Stan Lee/John Romita Sr era. TASM (Vol. 1) #39-40 is one of the best ever Spider-Man stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    That's the start of the Stan Lee/John Romita Sr era. TASM (Vol. 1) #39-40 is one of the best ever Spider-Man stories.
    Agreed! My favorite Stan Lee Spidey story I have read at this time. I am still making my way through his run.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Just read Symbiote Spider-Man 1-5, way better than I thought it would be! It was like being back in 1985 and reading PPSSM again by PAD. I like how this title fits in with 80’s continuity and the art by Greg Lands suits the black costume and makes me feel nostalgic for a Rich Butler Spider-Man again! I would love this to become a regular monthly satellite title, it has a great premise and I’m sure PAD has a ton of stories he could tell during this era of Spider-Man.

- Jason G. Carr

Hobgoblin Lives! Spanish edition. I received it yesterday

"The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Still working on my quest to read Amazing Spiderman from the start. I am up to 207. I am also reading PPSSM. Am on issue 51. These are some great stories. Just read where JJ has his breakdown. Just a question. Is the fashion designer rodrick kingsley that Bellodanna tries to kill in PPSSM the same one that becomes the Hobgoblin?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

One More Day and the Spidey newspaper strip.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Is the fashion designer rodrick kingsley that Bellodanna tries to kill in PPSSM the same one that becomes the Hobgoblin?
    Yes. The writer of the story is Roger Stern. Stern started on Spectacular and then moved on Amazing (one of two writers, the other being David Michelinie who started in Web of Spider-Man, to go from satellites to main titles).

So he naturally revisited stuff from his Spectacular run in the main title.

Roderick Kingsley didn't appear in ASM until about #247 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Yes. The writer of the story is Roger Stern. Stern started on Spectacular and then moved on Amazing (one of two writers, the other being David Michelinie who started in Web of Spider-Man, to go from satellites to main titles).

So he naturally revisited stuff from his Spectacular run in the main title.

Roderick Kingsley didn't appear in ASM until about #247 or so.
    Thanks for the quick answer.

I want to read the newer Spiderman stuff but I want to read from the start. So I am buying the new issues and setting them aside until I get to them. I am loving the early stuff and the history. Seeing how the villains got their start. So far Doc ock and The Vulture are the two favorite bad guys so far.

AngelGroveRadioPodcast powerpackers90's Avatar

Thanks to Marvel Unlimited. I been trying to read every issue of ASM ever from AF15 - Spencers run. I'm just up to issue 10 with the Foswell and the Enforcers debuts.
    Angel Grove Radio
    The "ALL NEW" Spider-Man's Tangled Web-Show ON YOUTUBE!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I want to read the newer Spiderman stuff but I want to read from the start. So I am buying the new issues and setting them aside until I get to them. I am loving the early stuff and the history. Seeing how the villains got their start. So far Doc ock and The Vulture are the two favorite bad guys so far.
    I tend to alternate reading between old and new myself. To prep up for Absolute Carnage, I read a lot of the Michelinie stuff and Maximum Carnage (which yeah, it's not good). Donny Cates is very Michelinie-inspired.

If you like Vulture, wait till you read Roger Stern's run since he wrote Vulture very well.

I've been continuing to re-read the 90's Clone Saga, reaching the 'Ben as Spidey' era. It is easy to see why it is such a forgotten period, as it was fairly brief and very little of it has been touched on since. There are definitely some hidden gems here though, most notably Dan Jurgens' run on Sensational Spider-Man.

I am possibly biased, as these were some of the first ever comics that I read as a 5 year old back in the 90's, but I think his time on the title is criminally ignored. It is hard to explain what I like about it so much, but even next to more recent runs like Slott's, his style of storytelling feels very modern and streamlined. Without seeming as though he was trying to hard, he managed to get Spider-Man back to basics in the space of a couple of issues. Ironically (as he hated writing the character) his Ben Reilly is a breath of fresh air, as is the new supporting cast that he managed to introduce without any real fuss. His artwork is terrific - again, it has aged very well and stands apart from a lot of the '90's style' artwork around at the time. Re-reading the issues now, he actually manages to make Mark Bagley's artwork over on ASM look ordinary, which is no mean feat.

Unfortunately his run was pretty brief, and the other titles aren't really up to the same standard. Over on ASM it seems a little like Tom Defalco is going through the motions, churning out solid but unspectacular tales in the classic Spider-Man fashion alongside Bagley. Howard Mackie was clearly enjoying himself over on 'Spider-Man', and while his scripts are quite workmanlike they are elevated by fantastic artwork from Romita Jr and Klaus Janson. I like Todd Dezago, but his Sensational run with Buscema is pretty forgettable really. The fact that the four titles were crossing over constantly really makes for some uneven storytelling, which is much tighter than in the bad old days of the Clone Saga, but still hampers arcs like 'Media Blizzard'.

If you aren't familiar with this era I'd really recommend checking it out. It doesn't deserve to stand among the truly classic Spider-Man runs, but there are some enjoyable stories in there and it's a shame that it ultimately ended up being cut short.

BANNED

Dan Jurgens actually worked as an artist for a short comic with Gerry Conway in a Spectacular Annual in the '80s. The artwork there also struck out very well.

Finally checked out Mark Millar & the Dodsons' Marvel Knights: Spider-Man, and it was such a genuine surprise for me. I honestly think that may be Millar's best Marvel work, its a project that's devoid of alot of his indulgences that effect much of his other projects, and just tells a straightforwardly good Spider-Man story.

Extremely strong Goblin story, makes great use of the ensemble of villains, has real stakes and new dynamics regarding Spider-Man and his identity not as throughly explored before, Millar writes MJ and Felicia extremely well, and the Dodsons' art is extremely charming and energetic as usual.