Page 62 of 81 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Finally checked out Mark Millar & the Dodsons' Marvel Knights: Spider-Man, and it was such a genuine surprise for me. I honestly think that may be Millar's best Marvel work, its a project that's devoid of alot of his indulgences that effect much of his other projects, and just tells a straightforwardly good Spider-Man story.

Extremely strong Goblin story, makes great use of the ensemble of villains, has real stakes and new dynamics regarding Spider-Man and his identity not as throughly explored before, Millar writes MJ and Felicia extremely well, and the Dodsons' art is extremely charming and energetic as usual.
    I'm currently reading Millar and the Dodsons' Marvel Knights: Spider-Man right now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Finally checked out Mark Millar & the Dodsons' Marvel Knights: Spider-Man, and it was such a genuine surprise for me. I honestly think that may be Millar's best Marvel work,
    Totally agree with this 100%. Signed. Double Signed. Triple Signed. Hepta-Signed. MK: Spider-Man redeems Millar from Civil War and Old Man Logan. It hasn't had the influence those other two have but parts of MK:Spider-Man definitely influence Greg Weisman's Spectacular which borrowed the idea of villains being created by corporations to keep superheroes from going after big capital...and the more cunning, suave, and charismatic take on Norman Osborn and Goblin, making both sides work.

Extremely strong Goblin story, makes great use of the ensemble of villains, has real stakes and new dynamics regarding Spider-Man and his identity not as throughly explored before, Millar writes MJ and Felicia extremely well, and the Dodsons' art is extremely charming and energetic as usual.
    Yeah. It's a 12 issue series that feels as dense and compact as an entire ongoing run of Spider-Man. It's like Millar said, "probably won't ever get to do ASM but let me do in 12 issues what I would have done in 40-50".

And it's probably for the best since Millar is not good at ongoing as he is at shorter series.

Carnage: USA #1

I got really excited while reading this, had some really great horror vibes leading up to the......eye-rolling cliffhanger.

Ok, you have The Thing right there, and you're telling me that Carnage is strong enough to take over The Thing? I don't know about this one....I'll still finish the series. But the rest of it better not be Spidey vs Symbiote Avengers.

I am taking a break from Amazing Spiderman and Peter Parker Spiderman. I am reading Marvel Team Up. I am Marvel Team Up 54. I am really enjoying the team ups with other heroes. I am going to pick back up with ASM ANd PPSM pretty soon. Am on PPSM 57 and ASM 219.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Just read the first issues of the Black Cat series. Am really digging it. I have always been a fan of hers and am glad to see she got her own book. Is this a mini or an ongoing?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Just started reading the Amazing Spiderman Annuals. I have 15 to read to catch up to where I am with the normal issues.

I just recently got my hands on Issues 8,9, and 10 of the idw Spider-Man comics along with the Spider-Man life story trade and the amazing Spider-Man ultimate news paper comic collection vol 4.

BANNED

Default Hi, web heads :D

I read The Amazing Spider-Man # 129, The first appearance of Punisher.

It was 8/10.

It had its logical gaps like Spider-Man's spider sense thingling when Punisher tried to shoot him from a roof top but later on Punisher's wire gun, Jackles Attack from behind with his poisonus or something claws and no spider sense... what are you gonna do, it's comics. Spider-Man kicks and punches punisher... that should probably kill punisher, i don't think as normal human, he can take a punch from Spider-Man and so on but it sure was fun.

I never thought Punisher had a code of honor at the begining... He had more like whatever it takes to job done kind of attitude in punisher comics... But here, he's very conserned that he didn't kill spider-man in a honorable way... again... comics... lol I don't like Soldiers but i can see myself play grab ass with Punisher. jk I always wanted to read this first appereance, and i don't approve punisher's ways but oh boy, as a guy who grew up with 80s action films, does punisher pull me in ! I sometimes miss wathing something one man army like a Stalone, Arnold or Ludgerin film, and Punisher is my go to thing to read at times like this. Just don't take it serious and no real humans hurt in the making of this comics makes it ok.

Parker had a social life and a fun personalty with soon to be a girl friend who loves to have fun (Marry Jane) That was different from DC... Batman for example usually has no social life... He's all about the mission. Then again i like that better 'cause you need to be bat ---- insane to be a vigilante. lol

Parkers interaction with JJ. and other Daily Bugle workers were really fun to read, I have never seen a worker at Daily Planet have any deeper relationship than Parker had with Daily Bugle workers. A girl said to parker '' i know we are not close like we used to but i want you to come to my party parker'' I have never seen anything this level in DC. If these characters had a close reletaionship, and now, they are not so close but the girl shows some efford to go back to old days with his friend Parker, that's very extraordinary for a comics, a different flaivour than DC.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Been re-reading the early part of the Lee/Ditko run. There are some standout issues--the Goblin two-parter that kicks it all off, and the Kingpin three-parter, but some long stretches of goofiness that just don't have the emotional weight or psychological realism I associate with the title. Sometimes it's downright goofy--like when Spider-Man gets amnesia and assumes that if Doc Ock says he's a criminal he must be even though it makes him uncomfortable. As a kid, I was most familiar with the latter part of the Lee/Romita run, where things were really good.

Been reading, " Spider-Man Adventures" based on the 90s TV show. Just finished the alien costume arc.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

I just finished "Spider-Man: Reign" and I liked it a lot, don't know why it's so divisive.

Might as well read some Spider-Man comics in this period of sheltering in place.

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #1-4: Tom Taylor and Juan Cabaal have a decent hook about a Spider-Man very active in New York City, who comes upon a mystery involving a golden age superhero and the secret society of Under York.
    B

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #5: This focus on Peter and Aunt May's relationship at a difficult time is solid enough, although a bit transparent as a way to elevate the significance of a satellite book. A lot of this is stuff we've seen before, although executed well.
    B+

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #6: A gorgeous fantasy sequence about Spider-Man and a sidekick tackling his greatest enemies has a powerful payoff that fits the character and the brand.
    A

Spider-Man: The Final Adventure #1-4: The mini-series about Peter Parker's last adventure during the Clone Saga loses some of its power because of how quickly he came back to the books. It's a good hook to have Peter explore the company responsible for his origins, and it makes a lot of sense given where he was emotionally at the time. Tendril is a creepy enough one-off villain, and Nicezia captures Peter's character pretty well, at a time when he has a lot on his plate. There are major quibbles (a revelation about Peter's health that comes as an aside, limited self-reflection about the secrets Peter isn't able to share with others at a time when it could matter, a cliched misunderstanding with MJ) that make me happy that this wasn't the last story with this Spider-Man.
    B-
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #7-10: This story about the Prowler, a supervillain with an app, and the secrets of a World War II superhero was fine. The character work was good.
    B

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #11: The spotlight on Mary Jane has a decent take on how she's learned to take command in all of her team-ups with Spider-Man, showing what she's up to when Spider-Man is supposed to fighting a troll.
    B+

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #12-13: It's a decent, if underwhelming, Marvel Team-Up with some interesting concepts like the return of Under York.
    B-

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #14: A decent final statement on Spider-Man, overshadowed by Slott and Zdarsky's final issues, but a nice example of the Marvel Universe getting together for Peter in his time of need.
    B+

Tangled Web #1-3: The point of this series was to give people who usually wouldn't work on Spider-Man a chance to tell their own stories about people affected by Spidey. Garth Ennis and John McCrea were the first at bat, and this was pretty daring in terms of what you would see in Spider-Man comics, as Peter faces a really nasty villain with ties to his origin. The bullying he faces in flashbacks is not sugar-coated but there are parts of this comics that have stuck with me in the more than 18 years since I first read it, and it's far from my favorite Tangled Web.
    B+

Tangled Web #4: Much has been said about how this might be one of the most important Marvel comics from the beginning of Quesada's tenure as EIC.
    And it is staggeringly good. It works very well as a standalone crime drama, about a guy affected by Spider-Man shutting down a drug deal. The way he keeps things quiet until the very end elevates it. A+

Tangled Web #5-6: This two-parter is a very solid take on the Rhino, building on how he has essentially become a running joke. The high concept (what if the Rhino were smart?) isn't reached until the second issue, but it builds very nicely to that decision.
    A

Tangled Web #7-9: This story of an ordinary man who knows Spider-Man's secret, and uses it to commit a crime hides a few twists until the end, obscuring character motives. But the payoff is excellent, and it's a great example of Lee Weeks' skill at depicting emotion. Weeks had worked on the character a lot in the past, so it doesn't make sense to put him on a book meant for new takes on the character, but I don't think anyone minded.
    A

Tangled Web #10: A decent story about kids affected by Spider-Man that does something new post-The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man, while showing Kaare Andrews' skill in depicting two different worlds: the animated cartoon Insectman and the reality of two bickering brothers in a broken home who go from arguing about whether Spider-Man can save them, to having to take extraordinary risks to save him.
    B+

Tangled Web #11: I've read and posted about this before. Darwyn Cooke was amazing.
    A+
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

A week ago I finished my re-reading of JMS’s Amazing Spider-Man. The Romita Jr’s years are clearly the best, the most mediocre stories in this period are the 9/11 issue and the two part story with Loki written by Fiona Avery, but most of the arcs go from good to great and to amazing. There is some strong material afterwards too, such as New Avengers and Back in Black. I even enjoy Sins Past while despising its concept and some narrative choices. The weakest points are The Other and OMD. The selection of amazing pencilers that went through the title is awesome. My big complaint referring to the visual side of this age is concerning the covers: there are great pieces of art, but most of them tell me nothing about what I’m going to find inside the comic. I can stand this once in a while, but to go through a lot of covers and that most are just Spider-Man swinging or standing on a ledge can get boring pretty quickly
    Last edited by Chubistian; 04-19-2020 at 11:21 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I just started Amazing Spider-Man.

Read AF15 and Amazing 1 so far. Think I'll read one a day until I finish the Stan Lee run. Almost all of this will be new for me I was always more Thor, FF than Spider-Man but I doubt I can go wrong with classic Stan Lee. It's fun to see the real stories vs the changes the movies and modern retellings made. Only speed bump will be reading issues off the GitCorp DVD when I get to the hole that is Epic Collection 6.