Page 7 of 81 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Renew Your Vows #1. I left Spidey after OMD and OMIT, so this is me putting my money where my mouth is.
    Overall, I enjoyed it a great deal. I'm a bit nervous on where it will go. Hopefully it won't end in "This is why we can't have nice things" constructed angst or tragedy
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Aside from recent comics, I read some of the first issues of Spectacular Spider-Man from the first Essential Spectacular Spider-Man TPB.

It was Spectacular #4-5 with Hitman and Vulture by Archie Goodwin, Spectacular #7-8 with Morbius and some weird alien by Archie Goodwin, Spectacular #9-10 with White Tiger by Bill Mantlo, and Spectacular #12-15 with the Brother Son/ Sister Moon mess. Sal Buscema illustrated it all, and he was perfectly fine.

These just aren't very good comics. The point of the series was to give more of a focus to Peter's academic life and friends, but it mainly leads to a repetitive subplot about Flash Thompson's ex-girlfriend returning, as well as the coincidence of Peter being classmates with another superhero. And some of the villains are just bad fits for the Spider-Man comics, with two cosmic foes making big appearances. Plus, Mantlo was pretty clumsy when trying to incorporate social issues into the book (He would get better.) The Hitman/ Vulture story was probably the best.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I haven't read the latest issue yet, but the only Spider-MAN title I'm reading these days is the Amazing Spider-Man __.1 series written by Gerry Conway. (I'm passing on Renew Your Vows and Secret Wars in general). As for issues 16.1 and 17.1, I've enjoyed he story of Spidey vs. gangster-type bad guys like Hammerhead and Tombstone.

By the way, do the Spider-Ladies (Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, and Silk) count?
    You don't need to say if it's new or not, all you need is to name the comic, classic or modern.

Silk and Spider-Gwen; maybe, they are Spider-Man spin-off's.
    Spider-Woman; preferable if Spider-Man is a guest star in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Aside from recent comics, I read some of the first issues of Spectacular Spider-Man from the first Essential Spectacular Spider-Man TPB.

It was Spectacular #4-5 with Hitman and Vulture by Archie Goodwin, Spectacular #7-8 with Morbius and some weird alien by Archie Goodwin, Spectacular #9-10 with White Tiger by Bill Mantlo, and Spectacular #12-15 with the Brother Son/ Sister Moon mess. Sal Buscema illustrated it all, and he was perfectly fine.

These just aren't very good comics. The point of the series was to give more of a focus to Peter's academic life and friends, but it mainly leads to a repetitive subplot about Flash Thompson's ex-girlfriend returning, as well as the coincidence of Peter being classmates with another superhero. And some of the villains are just bad fits for the Spider-Man comics, with two cosmic foes making big appearances. Plus, Mantlo was pretty clumsy when trying to incorporate social issues into the book (He would get better.) The Hitman/ Vulture story was probably the best.
    I love the Hitman/Vulture story, it's one of the better stories from the first 50 issues of Spectacular, and the White Tiger stuff is fun too.

Sha Shan wasn't really a girlfriend of Flash before Mantlo decided to make her that way, and for some reason, loved making her feed Flash.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Just read Superior Foes again.

That one's a lot of fun. I'm really glad Fraction/ Aja's Hawkeye got so many imitators.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Just started reading the original Secret Wars again. What fun! I met Mike Zeck a few weeks back and he's touring the convention scene as part of the 30th anniverary of the series, he has some great stories from his time on the book. Nobody in the Marvel U featured changes of the magnitude of Spidey after this story, what a classic.

- Jason G. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Just read Superior Foes again.

That one's a lot of fun. I'm really glad Fraction/ Aja's Hawkeye got so many imitators.
    I'll be buying the omnibus of Superior Foes on day one, for sure.

Superior Foes is an underrated classic.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

This trade:
    686091.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JGC View Post
    Just started reading the original Secret Wars again. What fun! I met Mike Zeck a few weeks back and he's touring the convention scene as part of the 30th anniverary of the series, he has some great stories from his time on the book. Nobody in the Marvel U featured changes of the magnitude of Spidey after this story, what a classic.
    Same here! I finally bought #8 this week so I am going to read the story again.
    Other than that, I just 2 weeks ago re-read Maximum Carnage; what a great story!

Yesterday my Renew Your Vows #1 Campbell SDCC black and white variant came in the mail. I'm going to keep this unread and send it off to CGC but Renew Your Vows is my current Spiderman book until the new ASM, Spiderman/Deadpool and Spider-Gwen books come out

aka "The Watchdog" 8BitRedBeard's Avatar

I'm currently reading Spider-Man BLUE by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale. This TPB intrigued me not just because of the story but because I like the Loeb and Sale combination.
    "With great power comes great responsibility."

I've recently finished the Mark of the Tarantula TPB. I'm enjoying catching up with the 80's stuff!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I've recently finished the Mark of the Tarantula TPB. I'm enjoying catching up with the 80's stuff!
    Was it this one, the first time you read it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Was it this one, the first time you read it?
    Yep, first time. I've read the Origin of the Hobgoblin too. I'm planning on reading Secret Wars next, then the Alien Costume Saga. I haven't bought them yet though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Yep, first time. I've read the Origin of the Hobgoblin too. I'm planning on reading Secret Wars next, then the Alien Costume Saga. I haven't bought them yet though.
    I envy you. Being able to read Stern's run, for the first time. I have to look back 30 years, to recall how that felt like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    I envy you. Being able to read Stern's run, for the first time. I have to look back 30 years, to recall how that felt like.
    I wish I'd bought the Roger Stern omnibus instead of the smaller trades so I might have to "upgrade" at some point! I'm finding that the issues from that time take a lot longer to read and seem to have a lot more content than the modern stuff. It's good having so many years of Spiderman to catch up on but not so good for my wallet.