Page 71 of 81 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1201

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    That's Nicholas Fury, Jr., first appearance: Battle Scars #1 (January, 2012)
    Thank you. I will look up ore about him.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Hello All. I am currently reading the 2012 run of Scarlet Spider. I never had much exposure to Khaine so this is pretty good. I will say him talking about how he was a monster and trying to have a second chance to do better ever page is getting old. I mean I get it, you were a bad guy trying to be good now. Stop ramming it in my face every two seconds.

But I still enjoy it. I am also going to start on Amazing Spiderman from 1968 as well as Superior Spiderman team up as Well. It is going to be a Spider heavy weekend.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I am reading more of the 2014 Amazing Spiderman run. Just read the story that was the Spiderverse lead in. And The Spiderman from the Spiderman and his Amazing friends universe was killed. That made me very sad. I loved that cartoon. I feel like that story killed my childhood. Like I am for real not joking. It made me kind of upset. The way Firestar's litte annoying dog was barking and then sad howling. It was rough.

Then it got worse. The Spider girl that I loved to read. They attacked her universe and Killed Peter and Mary jane. I really may skip that story. it seems very dark. And that is not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I am reading more of the 2014 Amazing Spiderman run. Just read the story that was the Spiderverse lead in. And The Spiderman from the Spiderman and his Amazing friends universe was killed. That made me very sad. I loved that cartoon. I feel like that story killed my childhood. Like I am for real not joking. It made me kind of upset. The way Firestar's litte annoying dog was barking and then sad howling. It was rough.

Then it got worse. The Spider girl that I loved to read. They attacked her universe and Killed Peter and Mary jane. I really may skip that story. it seems very dark. And that is not for me.
    The Spider-Verse comics are such a miserable bummer to read which is baffling to me considering how much fun the concept should be with embracing the character's history. Thank goodness the movie happened and did everything better than the books.

Marvel Age Spider-Man 01

I've read plenty of criticism toward this series, but I did not think it was warranted based on my experience enjoying that version of retelling Doc Ock's debut story, and now that I've read the Vulture portion of this issue I don't think it's bad, just that it's way too fast paced and this version has more pages than the Lee & Ditko original. It's awkward that a recreation has no time to breath between scenes when the classic still gave each scene more breathing time with its boatload of text not tricking us into believing so.

EDIT: The Tinkerer back-up story is poorly paced and written.

Time to read the rest of the 20 issues series.

EDIT 2: Issue 2 has a girl named Olivia talking to pre madness Otto Octavius. Probably a coincidence, but it could be what inspired the name Olivia Octavius in the Miles Morales movie.
    Last edited by Speed Force League Unlimited; 11-19-2020 at 06:34 AM.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Mighty Member

Picked up Tom Taylor's Friendly Neighbourhood run in trade. Read the first two issues so far, I'm liking it a lot. I enjoy how these side issues focus on the more social aspects of Spider-Man, how he deals with being at Home, the drama behind May's cancer. It's all good stuff so far.

I think that's why I don't have much interest in Non-Stop Spider-Man, we already have Amazing to be the action orientated comic, I'd like to take a breather every now and then and just see how May is doing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Marvel Age Spider-Man 01

I've read plenty of criticism toward this series, but I did not think it was warranted based on my experience enjoying that version of retelling Doc Ock's debut story, and now that I've read the Vulture portion of this issue I don't think it's bad, just that it's way too fast paced and this version has more pages than the Lee & Ditko original. It's awkward that a recreation has no time to breath between scenes when the classic still gave each scene more breathing time with its boatload of text not tricking us into believing so.

EDIT: The Tinkerer back-up story is poorly paced and written.

Time to read the rest of the 20 issues series.

EDIT 2: Issue 2 has a girl named Olivia talking to pre madness Otto Octavius. Probably a coincidence, but it could be what inspired the name Olivia Octavius in the Miles Morales movie.
    It was poorly received? I thought people just didn’t talk about it because it was just a retelling of Spider-Man’s first run.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It was poorly received? I thought people just didn’t talk about it because it was just a retelling of Spider-Man’s first run.
    Maybe not as poorly as I thought when I made that post, I recalled reviews of some the issues on Spider-Fan.org, and they were pretty poor.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #308-309: I reread it because it was on two "Best of" lists. I'm not sure this clash with Sandman is quite on that level, but it's a good take on Spider-Man trying to help out a dying enemy and then things getting a little crazy. There's also some fun with the Jonah knowing his identity dynamic.
    A

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #310: Zdarsky's last issue is a great spin on something we've seen before, with ordinary people talking about their experiences with the wall-crawler, that goes in a different direction when we learn about his bond with a kid who does something stupid. I think this is Zdarsky's best spider-comic.
    A+

I'm also rereading Nick Spencer post-"Hunted"

Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #24: This is some excellent set-up for Kindred as he tackles Mysterio, and sends a warning to Spider-Man.
    A

Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #25: Gets bonus points for the amount of content (and it's two bucks on comixology, same as any other issue.) The two main stories (MJ saves a rival actress; Spider-Man tries to persuade the Lizard life's worth living) ate pretty good.
    A

Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #26-28: A Boomerang team-up is pretty fun, with a solid B-plot as May tries to rebuild the Feast Center, and the dynamics of a female supervillain team.
    B+

Amazing Spider-Man Volume 5 #29: Rereading these, I can see that Nick Spencer is really good at set-up, with the prelude of a Chameleon arc coinciding with a bad day for Peter Parker, and several gut punches in the end.
    A
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Just finished Kraven’s Last Hunt Epic Collection. First time I read that story. Enjoyed it so much I got the next volume on sale on Amazon (Venom). Never read that either. (My Spider-Man comics journey started in 1990 with McFarlane’s Spider-Man #1)

One of my favorite Christmas comics.
    Amazing Spider-Man #166.
    907017.jpg

Spectacular Member

I read Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (2019) for the first time and I quite enjoyed it. The plots are a little wacky for my taste (I prefer Spidey to be more grounded in street crime and mad science), but it worked for the B-title and I think Taylor has a great handle on Peter. It isn't quite as good as Zdarsky's Spectacular was, but it is a fun little 14 issue series.

I am now re-reading the Gauntlet storyline from 2009 for the first time since my freshmen year in high school 8 years ago. While I absolutely loath OMD with a passion, I think BND produced some really strong storylines and I remember loving this story as a kid (teen me was obsessed with the rogues, so this being an action packed rogues showcase meant it was piratically written for me). I'm enjoying the Electro story quite a bit so far. Nothing mind blowing, but it's a solid reworking of that character.

I read two recent one shots that i ignored when they came out.

Full Circle the Round Robin (wich i'm pretty sure is the name of an arc in ASM too), woch was basically a bunch of different writers and artist collaboration and ait was actually better than i expected, is not perfect but it works for what it is, Eiwing and Spencer were the best of the group for sure, loved how the first use the whole werewolf thing as an exploration of Peter and Spencer final conclusion in the story.

Going Big, a one shot woth 3 stories that was a bit dissapointing, really the only story that is worth reading, it has some problems like Conway getting Kristy condition wrong (it was bullimia not anorexia) and Punisher just being fanservice, but overall it was a nice street level story witg Spider-Man. The second story is meh, read it only if you really like Todd Nauck's artwork (understandable), otherwise meh. The Erik Larsen one, well the guys has his fans i'm sure that there is an audience for it (it wasn't me thought lol).
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

71fmW41Q4oL._AC_SY500_.jpg

I received Amazing Spider-Man 62 for Christmas from my wife and kids and read it Christmas night.

A fun story where Medusa is trying to see if humans are more tolerant than they used to be. Guess what the answer is.

I've been using some time off over Christmas to continue a re-read of JMS's run. I've just finished 'The Other' and have been reading Mr. Parker Goes to Washington and The War at Home (Civil War tie in) over the last couple of days.

I have to say, I am finding it tough going. Peter's constantly referring to Tony Stark as boss is pretty hard to read, and the introduction of the Iron Spider suit immediately after the conclusion of The Other is very odd timing. Ron Garney's artwork is a step down from Jr Jr and Deodato, and there seem to be quite a few in jokes that have aged really badly. On reflection, it seems like this was quite a weird time for Marvel editorially.

As with most of the rest of his run, JMS does write a mean MJ and Aunt May though. I found their speech to Peter before he revealed his identity quite inspiring, even if I did ultimately dislike what it led to.

This is honestly the first time during my re-read of JMS's run that I have considered throwing in the towel and skipping forward to Brand New Day. I can't remember anything that came after this arc being particularly good.
    Last edited by JTait; 12-23-2021 at 01:11 PM.