Page 72 of 81 FirstFirst ... 2262686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1209

Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    I've been using some time off over Christmas to continue a re-read of JMS's run. I've just finished 'The Other' and have been reading Mr. Parker Goes to Washington and The War at Home (Civil War tie in) over the last couple of days.

I have to say, I am finding it tough going. Peter's constantly referring to Tony Stark as boss is pretty hard to read, and the introduction of the Iron Spider suit immediately after the conclusion of The Other is very odd timing. Ron Garney's artwork is a step down from Jr Jr and Deodato, and there seem to be quite a few in jokes that have aged really badly. On reflection, it seems like this was quite a weird time for Marvel editorially.

As with most of the rest of his run, JMS does write a mean MJ and Aunt May though. I found their speech to Peter before he revealed his identity quite inspiring, even if I did ultimately dislike what it led to.

This is honestly the first time during my re-read of JMS's run that I have considered throwing in the towel and skipping forward to Brand New Day. I can't remember anything that came after this arc being particularly good.
    Back in black is ok, but yeah that run in particular takes a nosedive. I mainly just enjoy seeing Peter beat the ever loving crap out of Kingpin.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Reading through David Michelinie's run on ASM. WOW! I have no idea how I have not read any of this run, but I am really enjoying it. Todd McFarlane may just be my favorite Spider-Man artist now, I love how he draws him.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Catching up on Marvel Team-Up recently, and I've read issues 1-52 and the first annual of the first volume.

Issues 48-51 are the ones I think are the most worthy to talk about, cause if -like me- you've read Death of Jean DeWolff first because you focused more on the solo adventures of Spider-Man, you wouldn't realize that the first few pages of Spectacular Spider-Man 107 retcon this story from Marvel Team-Up.

Opening pages of Death of Jean DeWolff has her remember her childhood as she was dying, remembers her life and progress as a police officer reaching position of captain, how she liked impressing her step-dad and was disheartening her mom. And her father left them cause he didn't like that his wife gave birth to a daughter.

Her debut story from Marvel Team-Up is unexpectedly different. Her father raised both her and Brian, was not in approval of a girl growing in the ranks of a cop to become a captain after his son was shot in action, he was upset with Jean because her mother passed away giving birth to her. Phillip DeWolff held resentments to his daughter Jean but never abandoned her.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Reading through David Michelinie's run on ASM. WOW! I have no idea how I have not read any of this run, but I am really enjoying it. Todd McFarlane may just be my favorite Spider-Man artist now, I love how he draws him.
    It's great isn't it? One of my favorite runs for sure! If I could pick one run only of Spider-Man to keep, this one may be it!

I have decided a few months ago to read my way through Amazing Spiderman and the side titles from the start. I am currently on Amazing Spiderman 116 and Marvel Team up 10. I know I am not doing a month to month same issues with the two titles. Just kind of keeping it some what close. With in 20 issues or so. Next on the list with along with these two is Peter Parker Spiderman, Ill start that around Spiderman 150 or so.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I just read the first issue of the Beyond era. Perhaps it is due to how disappointing I found the end of Spencer's run, but I am struggling to muster up any enthusiasm towards it.

Is anyone genuinely excited about the prospect of a corporate sponsored Spider-Man with a fancy technological suit? It feels like a lot of the ideas are simply recycled from the Parker Industries era (which itself wasn't very good). The idea of Peter Parker being ill or dying was also done (badly) during the Other crossover. I used to love Ben Reilly but the character has been so badly mishandled since his ressurection that I don't really know who he is anymore. Janine's return is fairly interesting at least.

The writing and art were both serviceable enough, but I remain unconvinced.

I just read the first issue of the Beyond era. Perhaps it is due to how disappointing I found the end of Spencer's run, but I am struggling to muster up any enthusiasm towards it.

Is anyone genuinely excited about the prospect of a corporate sponsored Spider-Man with a fancy technological suit? It feels like a lot of the ideas are simply recycled from the Parker Industries era (which itself wasn't very good). The idea of Peter Parker being ill or dying was also done (badly) during the Other crossover. I used to love Ben Reilly but the character has been so badly mishandled since his ressurection that I don't really know who he is anymore. Janine's return is fairly interesting at least.

The writing and art were both serviceable enough, but I remain unconvinced.
    I'm a huge fan of Spidey, and I dropped my subscription to ASM a few issues into the Beyond run. I'm sure some people enjoyed it, but I did not.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I just read the first issue of the Beyond era. ...I am struggling to muster up any enthusiasm towards it.
    Just wait til you're a few issues in. It's REAL bad. Lol.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

These are not the reactions I was hoping for!

I have mostly enjoyed Zeb Wells' previous Spidey work, so was cautiously optimistic, although as I have said a lot of the 'selling points' for Beyond leave me very cold.

Mighty Member

I need to finish Beyond (Currently on #80) but I'm enjoying it so far, mostly because I enjoy the fact it's mostly made up of 2 part stories that then connect to form a larger picture.
    But it is just filler. I'm pretty sure the era from Spencer to Beyond (this whole Volume basically) won't be too well remembered, even through I'm sure Spencer will have his fans in retrospect.

I am honestly just looking forward to Wells' run, although I do wonder how long it'll last.

My main focus right now for comics has been Spiderman. Normally I really just read the older stuff from the 60s and 70s. Nut a long time ago I read Superior Spiderman and loved it and that got me to want newer stuff.

So I am reading 3 different era of Spiderman. I am on Amazing Spiderman 128, 527 and 651. I am working my way up to the new stuff a little at a time. And I enjoy it because it lets me read his other books. Like for the Other story line I am reading Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman and Marvel Knights.

I am really digging the newer stuff. I enjoyed OMD/BND and I am enjoying The Other. I am looking forward to reading the Civil War stuff as I never have.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I'm beginning my annual Ultimate Spidey re-read.

Every time I read it I always have a huge grin on my dumb face.

It's a series that made me fall in love more than any 616 Spidey title.

I think I have a lot of nostalgia for it because I discovered it a little bit into high school and I think of those days when I re-read it.

Extraordinary Member

Saw some old Slott issues and he really was the worst Spidey writer, him and BND ruined so much Spidey

Untold tales of Spidey is great though , reading it rn

I finished my protracted re-read of JMS's run this week by reading Back in Black and One More Day.

Back in Black was quite an unpleasant read. It kind of works as an Elsewords story, but is very bleak and depressing with patchy art and some quite laboured storytelling. From memory, it was clear at the time of publishing that the events of the story would be undone pretty quickly. I wonder what the reaction would have been if this had been presented as the new status quo? I'm guessing it would not have been positive.

One More Day was an interesting read. In some ways it is a better story than Back in Black - I certainly enjoyed reading it more. Quesada's artwork is really good in patches and there are occasional hints of the wit and energy that JMS brought to his earlier run. Part 3 (the one with the alternate Peter's and Peter and MJ's daughter) was actually quite a poignant read and I thought the depiction of the two alternate Peter's was really fresh and interesting. Mephisto kind of works as the cackling, all powerful malevolent adversary too.

The problem is that most of the story makes very little sense, the core concept is very poorly conceived and I find it incredibly difficult to buy the idea that MJ and Peter would even begin to countenance making the deal. The sequence set in the new 'One More Day' reality is also really clumsily written and felt like a total waste of pages.

Overall, this is quite a sad send off for JMS. The freshness and new ideas that he brought to the character earlier in his run seem a lifetime away. The general consensus seems to be that his run ended up gradually petering out, and I would have to say that I agree. In hindsight, he probably should have bowed out after #500.

I am reading more Spiderman comics today. I am at Spiderman 509. Just starting Sins Past. I always focused on the older comics but the last year or so I have dived into the newwer stuff. (Well newer to me.) And I have really really enjoyed them.

I am going to read all of Sins past today and then some. I am hoping to get up to 525 in the next couple of days.

In the Spiderman time I have read Spiderman 1-128 525 to 653 and 500 t0 508. Kind of bouncing every where.