Page 8 of 81 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I wish I'd bought the Roger Stern omnibus instead of the smaller trades so I might have to "upgrade" at some point! I'm finding that the issues from that time take a lot longer to read and seem to have a lot more content than the modern stuff. It's good having so many years of Spiderman to catch up on but not so good for my wallet.
    Stern's really good, but there's definitely more content per page than most writers, modern or otherwise. When reading "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut" I keep thinking that modern writers would probably have written that one for the trade.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

I wish I'd bought the Roger Stern omnibus instead of the smaller trades so I might have to "upgrade" at some point! I'm finding that the issues from that time take a lot longer to read and seem to have a lot more content than the modern stuff. It's good having so many years of Spiderman to catch up on but not so good for my wallet.
    I wouldn't lose much sleep over the omnibus, it also includes the PPSS stuff, which was ok (even good at times) but nowhere near, on average, to his ASM issues.
    Last edited by Ozymandias; 07-31-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I've just started the 1984 era of Web, Amazing and Spectacular, starting with Web #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    I wouldn't lose much sleep over the omnibus, it also includes the PPSS stuff, which was ok (even good at times) but nowhere near, on average, to his ASM issues.
    Thanks for the advice. I just checked out the links in your sig. Great work!

BANNED

Thanks for the advice. I just checked out the links in your sig. Great work!
    Thanx (in reference to the second link, which I can take credit for).

Spectacular Spider-Man 184.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Rereading the classics from 1965 and Avenging spider-man. Still gotta read the last issue of Renew your vows.

Currently I'm reading all of them, save the recent Flash stuff as I detest Agent Venom.

Like Peter Park once said (and I paraphrase) - "A loser dressed up like Venom is still a loser."
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Flash is not a loser, he's a teacher for the handicapped, and helped save New York from the Queen.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Flash is not a loser, he's a teacher for the handicapped, and helped save New York from the Queen.
    I still hate the character as Venom. You don't take a great villain/anti-hero and turn them into a typical good guy. As for Flash being a great role model, that is irrelevant to my stance and I will not be drawn into a moral debate on the merits of a fictional character who has been shoehorned into an already established role. In closing we all have our likes and dislikes. Flash Thompson as a rather bland, imo, good guy Venom is a major dislike of mine, sorry but that is how I feel.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-03-2015 at 01:42 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

.Daredevil.vol.1.#16,17. One of the first stories illustrated by John Romita Sr featuring Spider Man,interesting for that.Plot wise is all right but the main villain is rather silly and for sure not one of the best villains created by Stan Lee.Over all cool team up story.

Amazing Spider Man.vol.1#172,173.I always thought the Molte Man was one of the most boring villains of Spider Man,and after rereading this story i think the same.Great art by Ross Andru though.

The Spectacular Spider Man vol1.#4,5.Good story featuring the Vulture and the Hitman.Sal Buscema art style works really well in the Spider Man stories.

Ultimate End #4 - A Spider-Man story because Spider-Man (Miles) is obviously going to be the most important character to the whole event. He shows up in Battleworld Manhattan after the Sheriff of Agamotto (RIP) disperses him.

Spider-Man Renew Your Vows #3 - This is an alternate universe Peter Parker, but he's a take-no-prisoners guy who is maiming his villains in order to keep his family safe. Interesting concept that we don't see very often.

ASM #1 (Slott relaunch) - This popped up in my giveaway pile and so I read it again. Didn't like this issue that much when I first read it, and it hasn't improved. Ramos' art is the best part.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Renew Your Vows 3: Still loving this series. Can't wait to see how Anne's powers figure into it.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

I'm going back and collecting the first Spider-Island. I missed it so I'm looking for the backissues

I read Lee/ Romita's first Spider-Man story in Daredevil #16-17, the Spider-Man: Lost Years mini-series and the first six issues of Slott/ Ramos' relaunched Amazing Spider-Man.

Daredevil #16-17: Last time I read this was right after I read most of the Lee/ Romita run, and my takeaway was that Peter Parker's problems and supporting cast were better than Matt's. It might come across a little bit better in isolation. It's pretty good as far as the trope of heroes tricked into fighting one another goes. The fight scenes work pretty well, since Spider-Man's stronger and Daredevil's more strategic. It has some fun consequences for Matt Murdock's friends, and it's interesting to see a comic where Spider-Man's the antagonist. The Masked Marauder is a generic crime boss, but it is fun that he starts off as an enemy of Spider-Man's (bit surprised that hasn't been covered in any of the Untold tales type stories), and kinda switches archenemies through the story.

Spider-Man: The Lost Years #1-3 This is probably the best-regarded Spider-Man story that I just don't like all that much. Part of it is that the narrative's convoluted as Ben and Kaine stumble onto a clash between cops and gangsters in Salt Lake City, replete with betrayals and misunderstandings, as well as a secret from Ben Reilly's new girlfriend. The crime war part isn't that interesting. And it kinda rubs me the wrong way that this is presented as a story of the real Spider-Man, which is a reminder of how bad an idea that was. It seemed like an attempt to shoehorn stuff onto Spider-Man (a past as a wanderer) that doesn't fit the character.

Amazing Spider-Man Volume 3 #1-6: Probably one of the most disliked Spider-Man stories in recent years, but it's generally fun. A lot happens as Slott sets up a new status quo with plenty of major changes. I might be accused of hypocrisy for liking this story while disliking Lost Years for departing from what's traditional, but I think the difference comes down to tone. This isn't a traditional situation for Peter Parker, but it's how the Peter Parker of the comics would react to it. I do like the small details, and think Electro's journey is believable enough. I'm more indifferent to Black Cat's arc, although my take on the character from all the back issues is that she is kinda nuts.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets