Page 81 of 81 FirstFirst ... 31717778798081
Results 1,201 to 1,207 of 1207
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deadboy80 View Post
    I just finished the Red Goblin story. Thought it was a little flat. Nothing new really happened. No real consequences. So what if Norman thought he was someone else. I don't know. It was ok. Not a favorite.
    I didn't bother with this one as it didn't really appeal. I'll get around to it eventually but definitely felt like one to read after it had finished.

I think the Spider-books are going a bit Batman right now, by adding tons of spin-off characters (and villain books) without actually thinking long term about where they are going or will fit in future. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but a little forward planning would help them avoid having a glut of characters doing nothing outside of background appearances (and pissing off/fracturing the fanbase because of it).

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    I just finished reading all spider-man books up to 1998. So vol 1 of all books. I wanted to say I e read all. Classic tales before I die lol.

Big debate on reading all ongoing to current day. I've we done some not all.
    I did this in my 20's!

I hate to say it, but if you continue reading everything (mains, minis, spin-offs, Ultimate) there might actually be more comics to read after this point than before it!

Plenty of great stuff to come, though!

Also, the Byrne/Mackie era, which is the dirt worst.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

This weekend I've read the first couple of issues of Ultimate Spider-Man by Hickman and Checchetto. I'm a big Hickman fan, but I didn't love Ultimate Invasion which had tempered my expectations slightly. I liked #1 quite a bit and LOVED #2. There is something really powerful about the fact that I first got into Bendis and Bagley's Ultimate Spider-Man as a shy, slightly nerdy teenager. And now I'm reading Hickman's new version as a man in my mid thirties with a child. Just as the teenage Peter Parker from the original USM was eminently relatable, I'm sure that Hickman's slightly lost, unfulfilled Peter will strike a chord with many readers.

The fight scenes with Shocker were brilliantly done. They just felt real, in a way that I can't really explain and can't remember seeing in a comic book before. I wasn't particularly keen on Checcheto's work years ago on ASM, and I'm not sure whether he has changed his style or my tastes have changed - either way, i loved him on Daredevil and really liked his work on these two issues.

I had no idea how this series would work, and I have to say that Hickman has absolutely nailed it - so far at least.

Bring on #3!
    Last edited by JTait; 04-21-2024 at 12:16 PM.

Fantastic Member

I have been reading a lot of Spider-Man books from my favorite period 1987 just a little before the wedding to 1995 and Amazing #400. I have nothing against the Clone Saga, but I have to admit that any books past #400 I am reading only for the art value.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    This weekend I've read the first couple of issues of Ultimate Spider-Man by Hickman and Checchetto.
    This book is incredible. For years I've put forward Hickman's name for ASM writer and this is pretty much what I expected quality wise.

Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    I have been reading a lot of Spider-Man books from my favorite period 1987 just a little before the wedding to 1995 and Amazing #400. I have nothing against the Clone Saga, but I have to admit that any books past #400 I am reading only for the art value.
    Clone Saga is very much the Marmite of Spider-Man. Lol.

There's nothing wrong with 87-95 (okay, the robot clone Parents), it has some of my favourite Spider-Man comics. Michelinie wrote not only my favourite Spider-Man status quo, but also pacing and feel for a Spider-Man comic. Plus best Venom! And that Sinister Six return!!!
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Ultimate Spider-man from Hickman is where i am finding solace during these trying times.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Ultimate Spider-man from Hickman is where i am finding solace during these trying times.
    Me too. It's so good. I also got my hands on a couple of older What Ifs? including the one where Peter never became a crime fighter (opting instead to remain in show business) and the one where Peter became Nova the Human Rocket (which was just one of four different stories where different people took up the mantle of Nova instead of Richard Rider).
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Me too. It's so good. I also got my hands on a couple of older What Ifs? including the one where Peter never became a crime fighter (opting instead to remain in show business) and the one where Peter became Nova the Human Rocket (which was just one of four different stories where different people took up the mantle of Nova instead of Richard Rider).
    I'm partial to what if he kept the six arms myself and obviously the one where they show what if Mayday had not been kidnapped which in turn started the MC2 series.