Page 9 of 81 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Renew Your Vows - I'm enjoying the ride, and if the sales really are good and I end up getting minis or one-shots featuring this version of Spider-man every once-in-a-while, then that would be just fine with me.

I recently read all of J.M DeMatteis early Spectacular Spider-Man run (#178-203). I think there is a lot of good stuff in there (HarryGoblin issues and the three-part Vulture story immediately come to mind), but I do think it is a bit overly-serious and angsty at times. However, issue #199 may be one of the strongest books of the whole thing. 2/3 of it is just Peter snapping at his loved ones, and it's really powerful.
    “Marvel Fan Rave Podcast” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderNerd View Post
    I do think it is a bit overly-serious and angsty at times.
    Only a bit? Only at times?

I'm reading old Spider-Man comics. Haven't read anything recent. I only have so much money for comics and Image is getting it. Might flip through the Spider-Man comics on the next solicit for the next big death issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Only a bit? Only at times?
    There are stories where I think it is done really well, such as The Child Within and issue #200. However, it's really the story with Puma and the Black Crow that sticks out as too much for me. I would probably count the end of Vermin in there as well. Though, I think issues such as the Frog-Man team-up and the X-Men crossover are pretty fun.

When the darkness/angst works, it works. When it doesn't, it doesn't. Just my opinion.
    “Marvel Fan Rave Podcast” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderNerd View Post
    I think issues such as the Frog-Man team-up and the X-Men crossover are pretty fun.

When the darkness/angst works, it works. When it doesn't, it doesn't. Just my opinion.
    For a fun DeMatteis, I'd pick any of the JLI-JLA-JLE comics he wrote with Giffen. For someone so predisposed to the "serious" stuff, he certainly was more gifted for humor.

The problem I have, with most of his work, is that he almost always overplayed his hand.

Fantastic Member

Reading through as complete a version of spidey's continuity as I can. I am in the middle of the first hobgoblin arc. I recently read the arc where black cat gets hospitalized by Ock's gang, and thought the build up to the hospital show-down was one of the best things I've read yet. I think that and the Goblin arc during Wein's run (with Harry's Psychiatrist) are my two favorite stories yet.

Just finished reading Coming Home again. I honestly have to put this in my top 10 list. I loved it since I first read it, but sometimes rereading a story can be even more enjoyable.

I've started reading Spider-Girl again, I'm almost done with the first volume. I must say, what an excellent series. I also recommended it to a friend not too long ago, he loved it and finished the series before I did. LOL

Plus, I also started reading Untold Tales of Spider-Man. Seems fun.

I just ordered Brand New Day Vol 1 and 2. I think that is the start of Slott's time on Spidey. And I've only started reading in the last couple of years. So I thought I would start at the beginning.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #103: Peter David's comic book writing debut. Structurally convoluted, although there are some fun twists to a mystery about pranksters who may have gone too far inventing a new bad guy.
    B

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #104: One of Mantlo's last Spider-Man stories. Kinda preachy, but he adds some pathos to the Rocket Racer, previously a joke villain.
    B

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #105-106: A lot of clever moments in a story about the Wasp, espionage and Paladin, although it is sometimes tonally off. I do like how the Wasp and Spidey frustrate one another. Peter David's Spider-Man title quickly gets it tone.
    B

Web of Spider-Man #7: The dream world's a bit of a cliche, although this ties into events in the Hulk at the time, and Peter David's able to have some fun with it, as Spidey tries to ponder what it all means, while facing a Doctor Strange villain and a manifestation of the Hulk.
    B+

Amazing Spider-Man #267: It took Peter David less than a few months as a Spider-Man writer to pull off something really great, as Spider-Man faces the Commuter in suburbia. One of the funniest Spider-man comics ever. I could see why Marvel was so eager to buy his fill-ins.
    A+

Note- I've read most of Peter David's Spider-Man comics before, although I don't believe I've ever read it all in order. So that's something I'm remedying at the moment.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #103: Peter David's comic book writing debut. Structurally convoluted, although there are some fun twists to a mystery about pranksters who may have gone too far inventing a new bad guy.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #104: One of Mantlo's last Spider-Man stories. Kinda preachy, but he adds some pathos to the Rocket Racer, previously a joke villain.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #105-106: A lot of clever moments in a story about the Wasp, espionage and Paladin, although it is sometimes tonally off. I do like how the Wasp and Spidey frustrate one another. Peter David's Spider-Man title quickly gets it tone.

Web of Spider-Man #7: The dream world's a bit of a cliche, although this ties into events in the Hulk at the time, and Peter David's able to have some fun with it, as Spidey tries to ponder what it all means, while facing a Doctor Strange villain and a manifestation of the Hulk.

Amazing Spider-Man #267: It took Peter David less than a few months as a Spider-Man writer to pull off something really great, as Spider-Man faces the Commuter in suburbia. One of the funniest Spider-man comics ever. I could see why Marvel was so eager to buy his fill-ins.

Note- I've read most of Peter David's Spider-Man comics before, although I don't believe I've ever read it all in order. So that's something I'm remedying at the moment.
    I adore PPTSSM #103. I didn't buy it at the time it came out but read it years later as a back issue. There's such a different vibe to PAD's stuff, much more knowing and ironic. Just read any of the issues around #103 for comparison.

So Mets, are you planning on doing a PAD retrospective for your Spider-History at Crawlspace?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    I adore PPTSSM #103. I didn't buy it at the time it came out but read it years later as a back issue. There's such a different vibe to PAD's stuff, much more knowing and ironic. Just read any of the issues around #103 for comparison.

So Mets, are you planning on doing a PAD retrospective for your Spider-History at Crawlspace?
    No, I just realized that it's a notable run that I hadn't read before from beginning to end, and that there are even a few issues I hadn't checked out yet. For example, I think I had never got around to reading 103. Or 104 for that matter.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Obviously, Renew Your Vows series. It started well but i do have to admit I'm disappointed with the 4th issue as I think if the series would end in 5th it would be kinda rushed. I don't like the Idea that Anne suddenly got her suit and all of the good guys (suddenly) went to Regent place to finish it? Well that escalated quickly :|

In the other hand I also manage to finish Roger Stern's run which I think was great on its own. The art is compelling as well

Also, I would like to re-read Marvel Knights run by Millar. It was the first Spider-man comics I've read and i love it despite it gets a lot of critics

Quote Originally Posted by bonbon View Post
    Obviously, Renew Your Vows series. It started well but i do have to admit I'm disappointed with the 4th issue as I think if the series would end in 5th it would be kinda rushed. I don't like the Idea that Anne suddenly got her suit and all of the good guys (suddenly) went to Regent place to finish it? Well that escalated quickly :|

In the other hand I also manage to finish Roger Stern's run which I think was great on its own. The art is compelling as well

Also, I would like to re-read Marvel Knights run by Millar. It was the first Spider-man comics I've read and i love it despite it gets a lot of critics
    It has some critics, but it's generally pretty well-received.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...master-list/2/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/...er-man-stories

It probably makes my Top Ten.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets