Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default Superman Doomed: return of the Pre-New 52 Batman universe?

For those of you who haven't read it yet or heard about it, SPOILERS below:

The Pre-New 52 Universe still exists with all of our favorite Batman characters and their origins. DC is definitely gearing up for something huge next year. My question for everyone is this--Would you rather the Bat books go back to the Pre-New 52 DCU or stay in the current form? Or would you maybe support two universes at once?

I would LOVE to see them go back to the old DCU so I can have some of my favorite characters back (Pre-New 52 Robin, Nightwing, Damian, Wally, JSA and Legion just to name a few). But I would also support the this version within reason. Say they return the Bat books (Batman, Detective, and Robin, etc.) to the old DCU and gave Tim his own book again plus still publish a Batman and Detective book for the New 52. But only two Bat books of the New 52 not 4 or 5. I would also support Batwoman as well.

How about you guys?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Maybe this is a precursor to everyone gaining their pre flashpoint memories rather than a return to the old universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post

The Pre-New 52 Universe still exists with all of our favorite Batman characters and their origins. DC is definitely gearing up for something huge next year. My question for everyone is this--Would you rather the Bat books go back to the Pre-New 52 DCU or stay in the current form? Or would you maybe support two universes at once?

I would LOVE to see them go back to the old DCU so I can have some of my favorite characters back (Pre-New 52 Robin, Nightwing, Damian, Wally, JSA and Legion just to name a few). But I would also support the this version within reason. Say they return the Bat books (Batman, Detective, and Robin, etc.) to the old DCU and gave Tim his own book again plus still publish a Batman and Detective book for the New 52. But only two Bat books of the New 52 not 4 or 5. I would also support Batwoman as well.

How about you guys?
    I just want all the actual Titans and Dick Grayson back.

I wish, really wish, they'd go back to the pre N52 universe, but realistically I'd settle for them fixing a number of the biggest issues - Like Nightwing's connections and history, the 5 year timeline that *really does not work* and the general existence of Wally West and Stephanie Brown.

I'd rather them stay in the current universe, which they will.

Astonishing Member

The trouble with Batman is that, Zero Year aside, for the most part, the Batman universe doesn't feel all that different in the New 52 as compared to the pre-52. The tech is better, the costumes are different, the backstories of the sidekicks have been tweaked...but that aside, the feel of the Bat-books has been mostly the same, before and after.

Not so in the case of Pre-52 and New 52 Supermen, who are radically different in many ways (not the least of which is the suit).

So hypothetically, it would be great to see the two Batmen meet...except that the differences between them would be very subtle. One would be about a decade or so older than the other and have a different suit. But that apart, what is really the difference?

It would be interesting to see Batgirl meet Oracle. Or Dick Grayson, Agent of SPYRAL, meet Nightwing (or possibly, Pre-52 Dick is STILL Batman).

Pre-52 should just lay down and die. It's not coming back. Everyone needs to move on.

Damian would still have died if the New52 hadn't come along. Dick would still have been outed during a big event and gone to work for Spyral. Hell, Jason would probably still be shunted off with Kori and Roy in their own little band of merry men. The only things that changed with the New52 was characters getting cut and forgotten, otherwise Batman continuity remained pretty much intact.

BANNED

How about you guys?
    I would purchase the pre52 books and I would purchase the new52 books as well (all within reason). However, I don't think readership of the pre52 books would be large enough to justify having them for long.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I would purchase the pre52 books and I would purchase the new52 books as well (all within reason). However, I don't think readership of the pre52 books would be large enough to justify having them for long.
    I think DC could boil it down to one title, called DC PRESENTS: TALES OF THE MULTIVERSE, where it could deposit all Pre-COIE, Pre-FLASHPOINT, and ELSEWORLDS-type stories, with an opening narration to inform readers which continuity the story of the month takes place in.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I love New 52 Batman ,and have zero interest in the old continuity coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I think DC could boil it down to one title, called DC PRESENTS: TALES OF THE MULTIVERSE, where it could deposit all Pre-COIE, Pre-FLASHPOINT, and ELSEWORLDS-type stories, with an opening narration to inform readers which continuity the story of the month takes place in.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I'd rather they split the two universe up, kind of like Marvel has with the regular MU and the Ultimate MU. Readers can choose which titles they want to purchase from either line
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Jason the slasher guy View Post
    I love New 52 Batman ,and have zero interest in the old continuity coming back.
    As far as I'm concerned it stays n52 aswell. I dont see to many differences with for example Morrisons run. I'd sooo want a new Red Robin run though. But one can only dream .
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batmil View Post
    As far as I'm concerned it stays n52 aswell. I dont see to many differences with for example Morrisons run. I'd sooo want a new Red Robin run though. But one can only dream .
    That brings up a good point. All those people who get upset that DC focuses too much on Batman should be terribly opposed to DC just bringing in more Batman books at the expense of books focusing on less popular characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmil View Post
    That's why I would love to go back to the old DCU. I really want a new Red Robin book. How about a creative team of Rucka and Maleev? That would be sweet!

That's why I would love to go back to the old DCU. I really want a new Red Robin book. How about a creative team of Rucka and Maleev? That would be sweet!
    Oh man I would love that so much! Though imo Tim doesn't need a pre52 dcu as he has (finally) been properly introduced in Eternal.
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..