Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What DC Comics Would You Recommend to Someone Who Has Never Read Comics?

As the title says, what book/storyline would you recommend for someone who never read any comics in their life, who has zero knowledge and little intrest in getting into comics. As such, it has to be top notch writing and top notch art, something open and shut, something that requires no previous knowledge and that is not a hook into something else, that requires no further reading. A complete story. Something that, for the lack of a better expression, we can call "the complete experience!"

To get the ball started, my suggestions would be:

Batman - The Long Halloween - Jeph Loeb receives a lot of falk from fans, but, IMHO, his DC works are as accessible as it gets. This story (and Dark Victory, after it) read as a single mystery tale (though DV doesn't fugure here because i reads better if you HAVE read LH). Tim Sale's art is just another bonus.

Kingdom Come - Sure, it is a huge loveletter to the DCU, but it is not a book that really requires any previous reading. all the relevant characters and what you need to know is shown in the story. Sure, it may seem daunting, but there are fans of fantasy and fiction that never read comics, and this would be right up there alley. Plus, who doesn't love some Alex Ross art. And waid's script is great also.

Batman Year One _ Once again, Batman seems made for this kind of books, and YO introduces all you have to know about the Dark Knight. Miller and Mazzucchulli at the top of their games.

New Frontier - Once more, an open and shut tale, with all the relevant elements introduced in the book. Darwin Cooke really hits all the marks with this one.

So, what are your suggestions?

Peace

The Flash: The Return of Barry Allen

I recommended it to a new DC fan on this site and she loved it.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Batman's Court of Owls story. Everyone knows who Batman is and what he stands for. The story is well written and amazingly drawn.

Astonishing Member

- DC: New Frontier
    - All Star Superman
    - Batman: Year One
    - Saga of the Swamp Thing

I'd recommend more possibly, but that's my starter pack for new readers.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Preacher: Gone to Texas has been my go-to book for new readers. It's like crack in comic book form.

This assumes we're talking about an adult who has no problem with rough language.

Run! Quick! Save yourself!!!
    :-)

Seriously, though...
    It would depend on their interests. I'd ask what shows/movies they like first.

And then accordingly, I'd point them to the following:

Watchmen (if they like deeply written stories)

Books of Magic (mini-series) (if they're into paranormal/supernatural)

100 Bullets (if they like stuff like Sopranos) -however at 100 issues that may be a bit of a commitment. If it's too much, then I would point them to Human Target and Jonny Double.

The first couple years of the Brubaker Catwoman (if they like noir/pulp fiction)

Sandman Mystery Theatre (mystery/old time radio fans/pulp) -while this is a series, it can be taken in four-issue doses.

Blue Devil Summer Fun Special (for fun)

Titans: Rock, Paper, Scissors (if they like anime/manga)

Living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

The Unwritten
    All-Star Superman
    Planetary
    Promethea
    Grant Morrison's Animal Man
    Read Prophet, live Stray Bullets.

In general somethin of Image's would be a good choice as Marvel and Dc has most of their characters tie-into the rest of the Universe.

Two good ones would be Invincible and Walking Dead as they are pretty much self-contained in one book.

DC-wise you have to figure out who you like or who interests you more. Read or ask about basic info about various characters then start by reading vol 1 of the New 52 stuff, if you like it get the newer stuff and look into what old stuff is worth finding.

All-New Member

Watchmen
    Batman: Year One
    The Sandman
    Saga Of The Swamp Thing (Moore's run)

All excellent and require little to no knowledge of the DC Universe.

Ultimate Member

Batman: Year One.

All-Star Superman.

The Sandman.

Watchmen.

V for Vendetta.

Gail Simone's Birds of Prey.

Secret Six.

Batman: The Black Mirror.

Batman: The Long Halloween.

DC: The New Frontier.

Saga.

Batwoman: Elegy.

Batman: Year One and All-Star Superman are the one's that I recommend first. So far everyone that I've recommended them to have more or less liked both of them.

I know it's continuity heavy but I've also recommended 52 to a couple of people. Of course I got a lot of questions about various characters and situations but the story was compelling enough and the character work so strong that they just enjoyed the ride.
    But are you the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?

Hellblazer.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Preacher: Gone to Texas has been my go-to book for new readers. It's like crack in comic book form.

This assumes we're talking about an adult who has no problem with rough language.
    I think teens wouldn't mind reading it either.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    100 Bullets (if they like stuff like Sopranos) -however at 100 issues that may be a bit of a commitment. If it's too much, then I would point them to Human Target and Jonny Double.

The first couple years of the Brubaker Catwoman (if they like noir/pulp fiction)

Sandman Mystery Theatre (mystery/old time radio fans/pulp) -while this is a series, it can be taken in four-issue doses.
    Scalped would be a good suggestion as well for people who like crime stories.
    BB

Usually I tend to stick to Vertigo stuff when recommending to people who know nothing of comics, I kind of like to shock them with how adult orientated they are:

- Sandman
    - Preacher
    - Y-The Last Man
    - Fables