Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What Did People Not Like About Ang Lee's Hulk?

I enjoyed Ang Lee's Hulk. I felt it delved deep into the Bruce Banner's psychological issues and how it captured the metaphor for repressed rage bringing destruction and suffering. Eric Bana was perfectly cast and really made feel for the character and the themes of family really tugged at my heartstrings. For those who didn't like it what did you feel the film got wrong? Was it the acting? Poor special effects? Lack of Hulk? Please discuss.

The plot took a pretty hard swerve towards WTF-land. Nick Nolte was ridiculous. The quickly-slapped in radio bits confirming the soldiers were safe were cheesy. And some people didn't like the CGI dogs.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

It had nice shots of the Hulk bouncing around the desert like a gigantic green beach ball, and it provided an excellent showcase for Sam Elliott's preposterously deep voice and magnificently virile moustache.

I have nothing else positive to say about the movie (Dull performances - Bana, Connolly, silly villains - Lucas/Nolte, and a film which would have seemed too long at half the length.)
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 09-25-2014 at 09:29 AM.

I enjoyed it. I was expecting to hate it and when people trashed it when they saw it, I said, "I told you so." But when I got dragged into seeing it in theaters I ended up loving it.

BANNED

The Hulk is the Monster. Banner is the human. The Hulk was too cute and cuddly. Eric Bana did a decent job but he was not interesting enough to hold peoples attention. If they had put Ed Norton In the first Hulk movie and made the Hulk a force of Nature...it would have done better.

That being said I dont think the movie is as bad as some people make it out to be It could have done with less Hulk running and skipping..and more Army battles/

I was unhappy with the climactic fights of both Hulk movies. Two similarly-textured, barely-distinguishable CGI constructs wrestling in the dark doesn't make for much of a spectacle. Ang Lee's Hulk also suffered from its choice of villain - family in-fighting is dour, and really didn't make for a good starting story.

That said, some of the desert action was great, and I quite enjoyed the comic-book affectations in the cinematography.

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    It had nice shots of the Hulk bouncing around the desert like a gigantic green beach ball, and it provided an excellent showcase for Sam Elliott's preposterously deep voice and magnificently virile moustache.

I have nothing else positive to say about the movie (Dull performances - Bana, Connolly, silly villains - Lucas/Nolte, and a film which would have seemed too long at half the length.)
    Yeah this.

Funny, watched it just last Friday with my young daughter. So many things about it really failed, IMHO.
    First, Bana was bad casting. Good actor, but, IMHO, too beefy and hunky to play Banner. Norton and Ruffalo were, IMHO, better casting choices.
    Hulk literally as big as a house was too much.
    Pacing of the film was slow and boring.
    Marvel later on learned to dose it's films with a bit more humor. This one was too dry.
    Daddy as a major-villain was kind of a dull unnecessary change bin the story.

Peace

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post

If there was one thing I would have saved from that film and carried on it the greater Marvel U it would have been Sam Elliot. He (like always) was fantastic as Thunderbolt Ross.

The rest of the movie was just pretty much bad on every level. Bad story, bad effects, bad pacing, bad acting (sweet jesus what was wrong with Nick Nolte in that movie?!?!?), and petty much just bad everything.

Niffleheim

First of all the movie looked cheap, the lab scenes when the accident happened should have been more suspenseful, Hulk's foils were weakly developed and portrayed and OMG! those ridiculous dogs that Bruce's father experimented on. Saying all that it is still my favorite Hulk Eric Bana is a hottie lol! As everyone has mentioned it has the best sequence of Hulks powers --- every time I see them I want to cut those scenes so I can upload them on youtube

Incredible Member

I liked that it gave you a good idea of what the Hulk could do. I like the scenes with the hulk and the military. The problem is that you can't take a character like the hulk and try to make an art movie out of it. The Absorbing Dad was kind of weird too.

BANNED

Mutant poodles!! Nomads was also correct imho about the casting of Bana as er Banner. The hulk was so buffed up he could almost play the Hulk himself. What is Bana, like 6'3 or something?

I did love the Hulk on the rampage in the desert though, almost like comicbook Hulk....just was not long enough. I wanted the Hulk to continue and mash up the city.
    Last edited by blakkrussian; 09-25-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    I was unhappy with the climactic fights of both Hulk movies. Two similarly-textured, barely-distinguishable CGI constructs wrestling in the dark doesn't make for much of a spectacle. Ang Lee's Hulk also suffered from its choice of villain - family in-fighting is dour, and really didn't make for a good starting story.

That said, some of the desert action was great, and I quite enjoyed the comic-book affectations in the cinematography.
    I thought that Eric Bana was great in the first movie. The ending was anti-climatic and I wasn't a fan of Nick Nolte's dad/Absorbing man/Antagonist. In the scene where Hulk fought the Hulked out dogs, he looked like he was thirty feet tall.

The second film had a much better ending and the Abomination was a much better antagonist. I had goose bumps when Hulk did a thunder clap. The problem with the films is that they never show enough of the Hulk. They should have had more of him and the Abomination IMO.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    I enjoyed Ang Lee's Hulk. I felt it delved deep into the Bruce Banner's psychological issues and how it captured the metaphor for repressed rage bringing destruction and suffering. Eric Bana was perfectly cast and really made feel for the character and the themes of family really tugged at my heartstrings. For those who didn't like it what did you feel the film got wrong? Was it the acting? Poor special effects? Lack of Hulk? Please discuss.
    1. Bana's stiff acting
    2. Nolte's over the top (is he high?) acting
    3. Bad CGI Hulk (Incredible and Avengers Hulk looked much better)
    4. Weak plot
    5. Whole third act was kind of ludicrous

Fantastic Member

Can't speak for anyone else, but it was my favorite movie Hulk/Banner. Cool psychological profile, an examination of what could happen with too much rage coupled with too much power.

I liked it.