Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Okay so, too lazy for a transcript but:

-Cartoons are for kids.

-We need a cartoon that will make kids interested in Spider-Man.

-Spectacular Spider-Man was good, but it's just going over the old comic storylines. It's not going to appeal to kids. Unlike Ultimate Spider-Man.

-We're doing something different with Ultimate Spider-Man and we are pretty sure we have captured the essence of Spider-Man.

So yeah.

Honestly, the main problem is "for Kids" somehow implies "can't have solid story-telling".
    So SSM wasn't going to appeal to kids because it "just went over old storylines?" I'm honestly really puzzled by that statement. Why COULDN'T they appeal to kids, especially if kids haven't read those stories before and would thus be introduced to them for the first time? That argument makes ZERO sense.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Prepare to explode.

Just reaffirming what I already know, they don't want to cater to a large audience. Just boys aged 6-10, and even then they are underestimating their target audience. I grew up on reruns of Batman TAS, and I could follow it quite well and loved it at that age. Anime has learnt that it doesn't have to be child only, saying that cartoons are only for children is a stupid thing to say in this day and age.

We have cartoons for adults and some for all ages, and I hate to admit it, but to this day UP and Toy Story make me as a man cry.Unfortunately the trend now is stupidity, from shows to music. The scary thing is that it makes a lot of money. I hope Marvel cancels these soon as KombatMaster94 hypothesized and Marvel/Disney takes the Avatar team from Nickelodeon (Nick obviously has no idea what they are doing).

How about not canceling the best Marvel show in years!? That's a good start TC.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Just reaffirming what I already know, they don't want to cater to a large audience. Just boys aged 6-10, and even then they are underestimating their target audience. I grew up on reruns of Batman TAS, and I could follow it quite well and loved it at that age. Anime has learnt that it doesn't have to be child only, saying that cartoons are only for children is a stupid thing to say in this day and age.

We have cartoons for adults and some for all ages, and I hate to admit it, but to this day UP and Toy Story make me as a man cry.Unfortunately the trend now is stupidity, from shows to music. The scary thing is that it makes a lot of money. I hope Marvel cancels these soon as KombatMaster94 hypothesized and Marvel/Disney takes the Avatar team from Nickelodeon (Nick obviously has no idea what they are doing).
    I hope the Avatar guys continue to find more work regardless what network they go to. Either it's CN or Disney. But yeah Nick seem more concerned with pleasing the lowest common denominator.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yeah, cartoons are just for kids. That's why Pixar has been so successful, they were making "kiddie movies" right? Or heck even current DreamWorks, or Studio Ghibli, or heck even quite a few Disney movie (including the one that just made over a BILLION dollars). That's why Avatar The Last Airbender, Batman TAS, X-Men TAS, Spectacular Spider-Man, the current TMNT cartoon, Justice League/JLU, etc were all so successful, just "kids stuff." Honestly, these people have no clue about their audience do they? They seem to have a 1980
    s attitude towards animation in a post-Batman TAS world. They also seem to think that kids cannot process actual character/plot-development or deeper storytelling (have they seen ATLA at all)? They're whole attitude is like 20 years out of date and frankly disrespectful to their audience.
    And the sad thing is that is the mindset of most of the people in the US concerning animation. They think that animation should be dumbed down to make it easier for kids to enjoy. Yet that shouldn't be the case. There are good animation where you don't have to talk down to the kids to get them entertained by it. Toy Story, Adventure Time, Up, Wall-E, The Avatar series, etc have all shown that you can have a good animated product and still have a story good enough for the kids to enjoy.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

You know it's funny. Not that long ago Man of action was touting their Generator Rex series, one that had a long story line, a teen age character that didn't talk dumb to anyone and some really decent stories. Funny how after their series got the ax from CN, and after they said they felt it was unfair for the series to get axed the way it did, that they are now going on and on about how a show needs to be for boys ages 6 to 10 basically. Hate to tell them this, but one of the reasons why so many people pick up toys now is because they want to collect characters from series that have a greater plot. Kids don't need to have a refresher course on Spider-man they need a series that doesn't talk down to them. That's why Avatar did so well, kids could understand Anng because he was a kid and he wasn't talking down to them. Kids will only act dumb if you treat them as if they are dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    You know it's funny. Not that long ago Man of action was touting their Generator Rex series, one that had a long story line, a teen age character that didn't talk dumb to anyone and some really decent stories. Funny how after their series got the ax from CN, and after they said they felt it was unfair for the series to get axed the way it did, that they are now going on and on about how a show needs to be for boys ages 6 to 10 basically. Hate to tell them this, but one of the reasons why so many people pick up toys now is because they want to collect characters from series that have a greater plot. Kids don't need to have a refresher course on Spider-man they need a series that doesn't talk down to them. That's why Avatar did so well, kids could understand Anng because he was a kid and he wasn't talking down to them. Kids will only act dumb if you treat them as if they are dumb.
    Isn't it possible they're just parroting what the execs tell them to say so as not to jeopardize their careers?

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    So SSM wasn't going to appeal to kids because it "just went over old storylines?" I'm honestly really puzzled by that statement. Why COULDN'T they appeal to kids, especially if kids haven't read those stories before and would thus be introduced to them for the first time? That argument makes ZERO sense.
    It seems to go something like, "Comics are for older audiences, not kids. Blah, blah, blah."

So by sticking with the comics storylines, Spectacular misses the kid appeal. Which is all sorts of wrong, but whatever..

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I hope the Avatar guys continue to find more work regardless what network they go to. Either it's CN or Disney. But yeah Nick seem more concerned with pleasing the lowest common denominator.
    Mot Networks are.

The usual trend goes like, "Find what's popular. Make everything else like it."

For example, CN also wants everything to be silly comedy since that went well in Adventure Time.

Honestly, the attitude "animation is for kids so we got to dumb it down" attitude is all sorts of harmful.

Make me think of Gundam Sousei where Tomino has to deal with everyone telling him his sci-fic story (Gundam) is not going to appeal to kids.
    Last edited by Hazard; 10-01-2014 at 06:55 AM.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

KombatMaster94, I hate to break it ya, but Marvel isn't getting rid of USM, AA, or the whole shared universe anytime soon.

What really irks me is people living under a false hope that they can somehow convince a company as big as Marvel or Disney to give up what they're doing, and start over with an older franchise. It's wishful thinking, but wishing for a show to be cancelled and having an older version brought for your own wants is incredibly selfish and unprofessional thinking. I don't think you have any idea of what to expect in the animation or comic industry. If Greg Weisman couldn't pitch an Earth-16 continuation to DC, then what hope would you have to convince Marvel to bring back a show you were never involved in years from now?

I hate to be that way, but that's life. Sometimes we got to move on and appreciate what we have, not what we don't have.

P.S. KurtWagner, I don't know if you're obsessed or something, but continuing to spread that video around in the hopes of further convincing people the shows and the creators are "bad" is rather childish. I would work on not doing that.
    Last edited by TheLemsterPju; 10-02-2014 at 04:43 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    It seems to go something like, "Comics are for older audiences, not kids. Blah, blah, blah."

So by sticking with the comics storylines, Spectacular misses the kid appeal. Which is all sorts of wrong, but whatever..

Mot Networks are.

The usual trend goes like, "Find what's popular. Make everything else like it."

For example, CN also wants everything to be silly comedy since that went well in Adventure Time.

Honestly, the attitude "animation is for kids so we got to dumb it down" attitude is all sorts of harmful.

Make me think of Gundam Sousei where Tomino has to deal with everyone telling him his sci-fic story (Gundam) is not going to appeal to kids.
    Interestingly enough Adventure Time can even tackle grown up issues without dumbing things down. Despite it's goofy nature the show has a nice balance in appealing to both kids and the older audience.

The show was great, but Scarlet Witch, Tigra, Sersi, She-Hulk, and MoonDragon's omissions were heartbreaking.

Is it possible that this show could get renewed? Unlike Spectacular Spider-Man, I believe Disney still has the rights to Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.