Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Commander Steel / Steel: The Indestructible Man (WWII-era) Appreciation Thread

Back in late 1977, when the Wonder Woman comic book featured the Earth-2 Wonder Woman back in the days of World War II (to tie in to the first season of her TV show), DC unleashed a brand-new "Golden Age"-era hero: Henry "Hank" Heywood, who would (originally) be referred to as Steel the Indestructible Man.

He premiered in his own self-titled comic book which lasted just five issues . . . another victim of the "DC Implosion" of 1978, but the character would return a few years later in All-Star Squadron and was given the rank of "Commander".

I was introduced to Commander Steel through Roy Thomas' All-Star Squadron. Always enjoyed him as a character, and never warmed up to later iterations the way I did to him under Thomas' experienced pen.

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    I was introduced to Commander Steel through Roy Thomas' All-Star Squadron. Always enjoyed him as a character, and never warmed up to later iterations the way I did to him under Thomas' experienced pen.
    For the record, the character was created by Gerry Conway and Don Heck.

(to be continued . . . )

i don't understand why DC doesn't use this character more. they have very few patriotic heroes and he's a regular on one of the popular DC superhero shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    i don't understand why DC doesn't use this character more. they have very few patriotic heroes and he's a regular on one of the popular DC superhero shows.
    Right now, it may be because the current DC comic book universe doesn't have any superheroes/"Mystery Men" who were active back in World War II.
    They did have one on Earth 2 during the New52, but . . .

i would be fine with just Nate Heywood as the modern day Commander Steel and then maybe reveal that he's a legacy once the JSA/All Star Squadron heroes are brought back into continuity. i was initially against the Legends of Tomorrow version of the character changing to actual steel but now i see that it's a good way to separate him from Captain American and The Shield. i think the only other DC hero who had that power was Ferro Lad, so it's not really overused. either way, he's a great character with lots of potential. DC hasn't used Uncle Sam as their patriotic hero, so they may as well use Commander Steel now that mainstream audiences are familiar with him.

i would be fine with just Nate Heywood as the modern day Commander Steel and then maybe reveal that he's a legacy once the JSA/All Star Squadron heroes are brought back into continuity. i was initially against the Legends of Tomorrow version of the character changing to actual steel but now i see that it's a good way to separate him from Captain American and The Shield. i think the only other DC hero who had that power was Ferro Lad, so it's not really overused. either way, he's a great character with lots of potential. DC hasn't used Uncle Sam as their patriotic hero, so they may as well use Commander Steel now that mainstream audiences are familiar with him.
    I also wonder how many writers these days would be able to write such a character properly and not make him a stereotypical über-conservative, gung-ho patriot somewhere to the far-right of Mike Pence and Ted Cruz.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I also wonder how many writers these days would be able to write such a character properly and not make him a stereotypical über-conservative, gung-ho patriot somewhere to the far-right of Mike Pence and Ted Cruz.
    Well Steve Rogers has always been kinda left leaning. Obviously blind patriotism is dangerous. So the writer has to show that the character loves his country but is open to new ideas and the rights of all Americans. I think it’s a good move to make these patriotic themed characters either liberalish or very middle of the road. You don’t want the patriotic characters to come off xenophobic or fascist.

Well Steve Rogers has always been kinda left leaning. Obviously blind patriotism is dangerous. So the writer has to show that the character loves his country but is open to new ideas and the rights of all Americans. I think it’s a good move to make these patriotic themed characters either liberalish or very middle of the road. You don’t want the patriotic characters to come off xenophobic or fascist.
    But while Marvel has usually done a decent job with Steve Rogers, DC would have to worry about mirroring that path too closely if they don't want people to outright dismiss Commander (or whatever rank) Steel a "Cap-clone".
    Hence, the worry that some writers may move too far to the "right" direction these days (especially with the POTUS we have in the White House these days).

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Back in late 1977, when the Wonder Woman comic book featured the Earth-2 Wonder Woman back in the days of World War II (to tie in to the first season of her TV show), DC unleashed a brand-new "Golden Age"-era hero: Henry "Hank" Heywood, who would (originally) be referred to as Steel the Indestructible Man.

I actually remember getting my hands on this when I was a little kid (yeah, I'm old). Heck's design was really great.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I actually remember getting my hands on this when I was a little kid (yeah, I'm old). Heck's design was really great.
    Define "old".
    (I bought all five issues off of the spinner racks when they originally came out.)

origin of Steel continued:

in addition to his training/drilling as a Marine,

But don't worry . . . they can rebuild him . . .
    . . . We have the technology.
    We can make him better than he was.
    Better, stronger, faster . . .

(Ooops. Wrong character.)

I don't mean to turn this into a political thread but it seems to have gone that route anyway.

These days all of us should be middle of the road(especially Americans).

We've always had a two party system that disagreed, but never one this divided and more concerned with their own parties power and influence vs the well being of the country and the regular people that they are supposed to be representing.

It seems sometime in the 21'st century that we lost sight of the fact that WE are supposed to be in charge and that they (the politicians on both sides) work for us.

The tail has been waging the dog for far too long and liberal or conservative alike ,we have all been far too willing to play along.Neither liberals or conservatives are the cartoon boogymen the parties would have you believe.

The only course correction is bipartisanship.And that requires we the people to demand it from them.

Likewise comic books should reflect both sides equally so all are heard , represented and understood. Conservatives too.

Sorry. End rant and I hope I didn't offend anyone.
    Last edited by Midnighter; 06-02-2018 at 07:26 PM.

Boisterously Confused

I loved Steel from day one. He had the misfortune of coming along when there was already a well established scientifically-produced super-patriot, and already a guy with unbreakable metal bones plus healing factor. That latter one also featured an edgier nature that was a better fit for the times.

Still, he remains one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I loved Steel from day one. He had the misfortune of coming along when there was already a well established scientifically-produced super-patriot, and already a guy with unbreakable metal bones plus healing factor.
    Steel was also an unfortunate victim of the DC Implosion.

cover art for what would have been Steel, The Indestructible Man #6.