Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    The reprint is coming out in December.
    http://www.amazon.com/Enigma-New-Pet...nigma+milligan
    Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Greg, a new deluxe edition is coming out next month. Buy yourself a nice Christmas present!
    Are you two after my heart?!??! Thank you!

Invincible Member

Earlier this week I was talking with other posters on a different thread about Luke Cage's love life and mentioning Bendis made me think of this scene

The thing that bugged me about it was the way grown men were speaking as if they were adolescents in a locker room. It played like a scene out of Porky's which would have been fine if Tony and Cap were teens, but they're supposed to be adults.

The picture is too small, I have no idea what they're saying.

Invincible Member

below post should be clearer
    Last edited by ed2962; 12-07-2014 at 11:55 AM.

Invincible Member

Invincible Member

my mistake...double post
    Last edited by ed2962; 12-07-2014 at 11:57 AM. Reason: ouch! wrong button...

I dunno, I can see that being in character for Stark and Cap. Thor, not so much.

All-New Member

I think comic book writers in general have a problem with understanding Married couples in comics. Instead of finding the strength that a marriage can have upon a character they seem to opt out with marriage problems that lead to infidelity and separation. Superman, Spider-man, Even Storm and Black panther which leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't even understand why they even married them to divorce them in less than 2yrs. Storm has had more sexual partners than I can count. She is an African Queen that seems to have no identification as being black at all. She seems more like a Valley girl at times. When she was first introduced she was Black but since then she has been watered down to almost a white woman in tan colored skin. Yes the have her returning to Africa every so often but still give me a break. who is she.Maybe in her new book they have a handle on her Truly at this point I have no interest in her. Spider-man and Mary jane could have been a great combo. but again they did not know how to write strength in a marriage so they gave up. And Superman no comment.

It just reads like a group of friends bonding and talking. This is regular guy talk.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    It just reads like a group of friends bonding and talking. This is regular guy talk.
    I guess my problem is that they seemed less like adults and more like young guys. Men talk about their sexual conquests, but it's usually on a different level than they way it's portrayed here. The whole "so-and-so said who hooked up with so-and-so" dialogue seemed like the way 18yrs talk as opposed to 30-ish men. ( I know Thor is immortal and Cap is technically over 80, but you know...)

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batavenger View Post
    I think comic book writers in general have a problem with understanding Married couples in comics. Instead of finding the strength that a marriage can have upon a character they seem to opt out with marriage problems that lead to infidelity and separation. Superman, Spider-man, Even Storm and Black panther which leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't even understand why they even married them to divorce them in less than 2yrs. Storm has had more sexual partners than I can count. She is an African Queen that seems to have no identification as being black at all. She seems more like a Valley girl at times. When she was first introduced she was Black but since then she has been watered down to almost a white woman in tan colored skin. Yes the have her returning to Africa every so often but still give me a break. who is she.Maybe in her new book they have a handle on her Truly at this point I have no interest in her. Spider-man and Mary jane could have been a great combo. but again they did not know how to write strength in a marriage so they gave up. And Superman no comment.
    I think the problem might be some writers and editors are not sure how much actual marital experience can be worked into formula superhero stories. Plus, there's always someone who will want the comic to be the way it was when they were kids, so marriages etc get undone.

Invincible Member

double post

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I guess my problem is that they seemed less like adults and more like young guys. Men talk about their sexual conquests, but it's usually on a different level than they way it's portrayed here. The whole "so-and-so said who hooked up with so-and-so" dialogue seemed like the way 18yrs talk as opposed to 30-ish men. ( I know Thor is immortal and Cap is technically over 80, but you know...)
    Really? I've spoken to men my age and older about relationships and hook ups, and they range from all types of conversations. That page still just reads like friends just talking. And it's not like it lingers and gets childish, it just seems like a regular guys hanging out convo.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Really? I've spoken to men my age and older about relationships and hook ups, and they range from all types of conversations. That page still just reads like friends just talking. And it's not like it lingers and gets childish, it just seems like a regular guys hanging out convo.
    Maybe it's just me then and what I expect from these characters. I just think they could be shown behaving a little bit more maturely.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batavenger View Post
    I think comic book writers in general have a problem with understanding Married couples in comics. Instead of finding the strength that a marriage can have upon a character they seem to opt out with marriage problems that lead to infidelity and separation. Superman, Spider-man, Even Storm and Black panther which leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I don't even understand why they even married them to divorce them in less than 2yrs.
    Considering the divorce fest that real life marriage has become, I can't blame writers for portraying it as filled with strife.